Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kewl. even cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Visual GNUdio posted:

they built a device that costs $5 to manufacture at scale, then built a business model around providing nice software for that device and charging hundreds of dollars for it, while doing nothing at all to protect any of it. the usbee guys did the exact same thing with the exact same dev board and have already gone out of business. at least the dslogic guys seem to have made their device on something more than the reference board plus 4 bytes of eeprom.

i'm sure they're nice guys and all, but given my options, i'll buy the $7 version.

in today's climate if you're starting a little hardware company you're better off making it open-source from the start and figuring out a business model that works for it, because guess what: china is going to open-source your poo poo whether you like it or not