Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mister Sinewave posted:

just fyi if anyone cares (which some do! very much!) by definition if making babies together is possible then = same species. thats a science definition not a social internet one btw hth

like sure the plumbing might be compatible so you can gently caress but if offspring can happen then same species, it's science - play the game use the terms :mad:

that's just one species concept, and not a very useful one. there are lots of barriers to crossbreeding, and genetic incompatibility is just one of them.

lions and tigers are cross-fertile, but their ranges don't overlap and when they did, there were behavioral differences that made them unattractive to each other. put one of each in a cage and they get desperate and settle for making a liger, but that never happens in nature.

another and more useful species concept takes gene flow and reproductive isolation into consideration, so by that an individual tiger and a lion are different species, because genes from both of them won't end up in a single individual even generations down the line.

turns out what actually is a species is really difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

hey YOSmind, is there a thread or resource for doing OCR stuff?

I have some scanned old books about insects that I would like to turn into searchable PDFs. had some success with tesseractOCR and pdftk, but I just have a bunch of stupid questions and I'd like somewhere to ask.

this is my idiot spare time project, making old insect books available again.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

thanks, but I'm not looking at doing this on an industrial scale. I'm mostly looking for things like how to proofread and change errors in tesseracts OCR and then get that into a searchable pdf.

I got so far as to make a searchable pdf from scanned pages, but don't know how to fix OCR errors.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You Am I posted:

I went and did something silly yesterday:

nice!

is that one of those that needs to have the capacitors replace to avoid the self destruct sequence?