Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Woo MetaOCaml!

Why? Just 'cuz. For now, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Mido posted:

it is, :unsmith: thanks. ill look into diptrace

edit:

aw man
You might try looking at DesignSpark PCB, but it's also Windows-only (runs in Linux under Wine). One arguable benefit is it can read Eagle formats. DipTrace may be able to cope with Eagle formats too, I don't know (never used DipTrace).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Luigi Thirty posted:

i demand a refund

Look at this Windows 3.1 GUI babby newb r0dent. Telix or GTFO bitch.

Telix/MS-DOS 4 lyfe!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

echinopsis posted:

e:

portal mesh in blender. simple and dull as faaauuuck

put it in ue4, nice materials, grain, etc

da portal dawhgs
This gives me hope for my abysmal low-poly modelling skillz.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Unduly pleased that in the last few-ish weeks I've managed to steal time (mostly from sleeping) to get a few things done:

(Well, if not done done, at least further along.)
  • TianoCore/EDK II build environment working; experiments proceeding apace
  • Managed to track down a version of SimNow from the depths of the Internet and get it installed and (mostly) working
  • Finally got that cross-(meta-)assembler I was looking for in my hands and working on building new tables for it
  • Successfully tracked down more than one version of another old (circa mid-to-late) 60s-era macro processor and get more than one implementation of it built and tested with some non-trivial inputs; it now joins the others in the upcoming kumite
Most of those things aren't related to each other (well, except the first two, which are at least mostly in the service of the same project), but then again, they're not entirely distinct either.

(Someday I'll have some screenshots... of VGA text consoles...)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

BobHoward posted:

welcome to the verilog club, you have dehumanized yourself and faced to bloodshed
This.

These morse skills will come in handy later when all you have is JTAG over barbed wire for debugging like literally almost any Xilinx dev board. ("I2C? SPI? useful/usable UART? gently caress YOU!" --Xilinx).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Why do I feel compelled to write assembly lately? Why am I scouring the Internet and downloading all these old assemblers? What is happening to me?... :pcgaming:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this is a degenerative neural disease, the next stage is designing and building a cpu from 7400 series ICs

shoeberto posted:

Benjamin Button but you go backwards on computers. Terminal stage is trying to build your own difference engine. I'm sorry for your loss.
I can report that I've staved off the innevitable for now by tinkering with one of the most distinctive programmable graphics/page layout engines I've ever encountered. Oh, and Godot.

I have been stalking Am2900 series parts on eBay for the last year-plus though, so we all know how this story ends.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

spankmeister posted:

i;m thinking of starting a new project for myself. A clone of the Adlib Gold surround module. Since I have an adlib god I might as well. Some german person already did one last year but they're selling it for way too much money and I wanna see if I can design a PCB and whatnot. Nowadays PCB manufacturing is so cheap and easy that I can afford to gently caress up a couple times. Just need to source some vintage Yamaha chips.
If the other thing you're talking about was that thing on Vogons (mention of the German guy is what triggered this memory), that seemed like a poo poo-show from more or less day one, at least from the very little driveby attention I gave it in passing some ~2.5-3 years back...

There was another similar thing too, but I forget the details; I wanna say it was a GUS remake but I doubt I have that right; probably some other card. Anyway, similar story: German (I think) guy anounces the project, gets a bunch of interest, lays out plans, goes dark forever, pops back up, makes some claims about progress and maybe starts getting feedback, ignores/dismisses/rants at most feedback, disappears again, others volunteer to make pieces of things for him to help get the thing out, OG guy more or less walks out in a huff. I'm sure I have most of that wrong -- like I said, I didn't pay close attention -- but it seemed sad and yet all too predictable.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Apparently a thing I get the urge to do every now and then is write implementations of Deadfish in rando programming languages I'm looking at, or playing with (or sometimes actually *using*....).

Yesterday the itch struck again and I wrote two more:

https://esolangs.org/wiki/Deadfish#Umka
https://esolangs.org/wiki/Deadfish#ICI

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Speaking tangentially of Borland... this is a fuckin' long shot, and probably the wrong thread as well (but what would be the right one?), but just in case anyone else here shares some of my particular weirdnesses: anyone got a line on the patches for Premia Starbase Borland CodeGear Embarcadero "Embarcadero, An Idera, Inc. Company" CodeWright?

I have the latest version Embarcadero sold (and maybe still sells?) -- 7.5 -- as of not all that long ago, but it's basically patch level 3 (e.g., 7.5.3) instead of patch level 5 (e.g., 7.5.5). Every now and again, I go looking for archives in The Wayback Machine, etc. or stashed away versions of the patch installers, but no dice so far. I've even attempted emailing folks who posted 10+ years ago or more on various fora about the patches/about CodeWright, but nothing has yet worked out there either. I'm hoping someone has the patch installers squirreled away somewhere, and that I can find that person.

For a while, I thought I was gonna be out of luck on tracking down the CodeWright 7.5 SDK installer too, but luckily I did manage to dredge that up via some creative sleuthing & spelunking. Maybe I still haven't spent enough calories on the patch installers, but I haven't repeated the success there yet.

At least for Windows, patch installers were typically named something like "xcw753_4.exe", which would update an existing version 7.5.3 to version 7.5.4. Likewise xcw754_5.exe would update 7.5.4 to 7.5.5.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

GWBBQ posted:

I bought a Philco 46-1209 that "just needs a new power cord, maybe a tube or two." Now it's in line behind more things than one person could possibly remember that I promised my wife I would do before starting any new projects. I'm also going to learn to refurbish a typewriter with an Underwood No. 5 they were selling.
As it happens, I started a three-month/12-week apprenticeship learning to repair typewriters four days after you posted this, which is now wrapping up here shortly (had some weeks off for vacations, which we didn't count). That means I get to spend more time on other projects soon, now that I won't be commuting for hours each day to and from the shop, but anyway: how did your refurb of the #5 go? I just did another #3 (wide carriage) for someone who happened to have one at home in somewhat neglected condition and let me know of it.

Also, apropos of nothing: !@#$%^ FedEx, man...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

The Eyes Have It posted:

I just want to complain that out of all of the fancy text to speech api offering options out there, why the gently caress is it that none of them sound like a robot?

I want my poo poo to talk in a droid voice, is that so much to ask? apparently yes
I got you bro:
This is just the tip of the iceberg, lemme know if you want more.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

still working on decker stuff; mostly focusing on the lil scripting language

last week i made a few subtle breaking changes to the query syntax which make it much more flexible and internally consistent

today i put the finishing touches on a custom markdown renderer, written in lil, which also understands how to highlight lil source code. in one stroke, i remove a build dependency for the decker ecosystem and also i get color-coded examples in all the docs now:

https://beyondloom.com/decker/lil.html

the renderer is here, if anyone's curious:

https://github.com/JohnEarnest/Decker/blob/main/scripts/lildoc.lil

it doesn't implement every intricacy and alternative in markdown; just the parts i actually use. along the way i identified and corrected a handful of performance bottlenecks for string processing and xml serialization; wins all around
IJ, probably a dumb question, but is there an archive of the previous Decker binary builds that are on itch.io? Are you uploading those to itch via butler? (my understanding from some docs is that if so, then the old versions are available through the app, and I just usually use the public web page to d/l stuff from itch, but I'm also looking through the butler source and some other code I found on GitHub.)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

i currently upload each set of new binaries manually. the old binaries are hidden from download (since otherwise it gets extremely cluttered and confusing), but i have them all archived locally and on itch.io so i can observe download counts per version/os. i also mark releases with tags on github

are you asking because you're observing some kind of regression?
Kinda/sorta. Not really, but I'm trying to pad out my collection of "official" Decker binary builds (from the itch.io distribution channel) to test various scratch, test, and prototype decks of mine with (where those decks have been made with various versions of Decker [binaries] at the time), and also to compare to versions I've built from source with some mods just to build.

Speaking of, re: the itch.io Windows builds/binaries, are you building those with VS/MSVC? They also seem to embed at least compile timestamp info, so I'm assuming the sources & build scripts, etc. are not currently designed to generate bit-identical artifacts (not that I'm expecting they are, just looking for confirmation). Is this correct?

I've got your latest tip of main (ba14ca7) able to build with SDL2, SDL2_image, and Mingw-w64 via w64devkit (https://github.com/skeeto/w64devkit), but I basically ignored the Makefile, did things manually, and had to make some changes to decker.c and decker.js just to avoid a function name collision with a Mingw-w64 header (setmode).

PDP-1 posted:

i got my homemade IPv4 stack running on an STM32 microprocessor to talk to its server computer today, it turns around a 100Mbit/s Ethernet packet response in just under 19us.

the top two lines are the receive dibits coming in from the server, running at 50MHz to get the 100Mbit/s data rate, into the STM32 pins. the bottom two lines are the transmit dibits with the response. the STM32 is running at 180MHz so that's 3420 clock ticks to process and respond to the incoming packet.

i got some ideas on how to drive that number down for the actual packets that need super low latency. but pretty :stoked: atm for getting stuff moved from the "oh god, please just work at all" step to the "ok, let's polish and refine" phase

:yosnice: :krad:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

some kinda jackal posted:

I started refurbing an old Selectric III I found at a thrift store for five bucks. Because I have masochistic tendencies, presumably.
I might wave you away from that if you are hoping to get it back into working shape, but it's kinda a 50/50 thing. I generally don't want to dissuade anyone from working on their typewriters (Selectrics included), but Selectrics in general are among the most complicated if not the most complicated to get working and keep working after simple disuse and neglect, let alone abuse. That said, there's also a number of good videos and other resources to dig up. Duane's videos at Phoenix Typewriter are particularly helpful & useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

some kinda jackal posted:

So I think I dodged a bullet here because literally every problem except one with this typewriter had been fixed over the past two nights by just liberally spraying lacquer thinner into various rods and pivots. And to be honest I think the other one problem I'm having is just because I haven't figured out where to spray more thinner.

That seems to be the general theme of PT's videos too, he just happens to know where to spray to fix what.

I don't want to say this is an anticlimactic project because I'm super happy to take an easy win that doesn't involve trying to piece together a massive mechanical puzzle.

We're not going to talk about the loose spring I found in the case when I opened it up. I'm ignoring its very existence until I have a reason to believe it's absence is causing an issue :q:
The somewhat counterintuitive thing to Selectrics as versus almost all other typewriters, including other electrics, is they actually need to run "juicy", as they say in the biz, but 100% getting all the old crud out of there is very necessary. Like, having seen power switches on Selectircs get taken apart to be cleaned and rebuilt, and still need a bit of fresh grease (but just a bit!) to keep the contacts in place during reassembly, the whole thing is nuts.

And, I should maybe hasten to add (for others reading along, not for you some kinda jackal), while Selectrics expect and take more oil than like every other typewriter (which typically need to run dry with only specific places oiled, and sparingly), by no means can you get away long term with the classic amateur fix-it-all solution of hosing down everything with more oil. I saw that a lot during my brief apprenticeship at the local shop, they see it all the time, every day. It seems every random typewriter put up on eBay or Etsy is more likely than not to either be or have been greased to the gills or bathed in oil within an inch of its life, probably in order to get it "working" to someone who didn't know what they were doing well enough to be sold.

Enjoy the Selectric! Type on it! Let me know if you want some free typeballs! At the risk of repeating more stuff you've likely already heard a hundred times, Selectrics need to be run regularly to stay running, so if you're not gonna type on it regularly, turn it on at least once a month and type a page on it, then turn it back off. If you use it regularly or do that, it'll only need its typically scheduled yearly maintenance (yay IBM service contracts) to stay in good shape. Otherwise it'll revert to being a brick if left unused for too long.

While you're in there, how's your tab pulley lookin'? The plastic on those is typically gonna crack/snap and give way soon enough, it was one of the things that always got replaced with a better aftermarket third-party metal pulley assembly anytime a Selectric came in for service.

Soon I'll get to pick up my Selectric I from the shop and get to go ham on it!