Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

been looking at these russian displays.

i have the parallel port pinout, and a parallel port to usb adatper. if that doesn't work (i am not sure i understand exactly how many pins have to be driven in parallel and what modes it needs to operate on) i think i will be able to drive the pins with an arduino shield pretty easily. gonna wire up a cable today or tomorrow and see how hard it is to get it working.

alternately, if i don't need to drive all 25 pins and i don't need to drive them very fast, then i can probably use the gpios on a galileo board i have laying around to drive whatever parallel port stuff the displays would need.

please keep us posted, i haven't had a chance to touch mine yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

don't need an api if you use text-to-speech to phone in the delivery order

i successfully ordered a pizza with a speak and spell in 1999.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

just finished my newest idiot spare time project this morning; learning a bit about stop motion and making a silly video for one of my songs in the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhTbRTZuWg

it's a lot of fun, and kinda amazing at how much time you can burn up this way. i sat down at about 4 PM to mess around a bit yesterday and the next time i noticed the clock it was 11

sorry to break it to you but this rules

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

awesome. there was some wacky stuff with the xband modems for the genesis and snes and this will be a delight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Works on my Mini and I found the surprise!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doc Block posted:

:w00t:

mind if I ask what FPS it reported at the end?

146.973 on a 3GHz core i7.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

php microservice framework with autogenerated docker and kubernetes configs

written in go

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

FPGA update

took me a while to figure out how to get the timing right before realizing that my 8MHz pixel clock was really a 4MHz pixel clock but i got it working

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1066544641410035712

ypos bithc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

cool. now use it to read the trump thread for 8 straight hours to really smoke out the bugs

reported for suicide request

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are there any threads on these here forums for GIS? i think it would be a fun hobby to make pretty maps out of census data

there's a careers in gis thread in bfc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhusitaurion posted:

It's actually a single 4d object that has a different proportion of each letter based on its w-axis location, and that gif is just the view point moving along the w axis and showing a 3d slice of the 4d word. If you set it rotating in the wz plane you get some weird stuff https://imgur.com/GJIVZTi

2d representation of 3d projections of 4d objects absolutely breaks my head. not because it’s badly done, i just can’t process it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

cool, this youtube perfectly distills the 3d-2d case in a way that feels easier to extrapolate from than what i was thinking to begin with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yW--eQaA2I

yeah, conceptually i get what’s happening and the 2d to 3d analogies make perfect sense. when i try to visualize 4-space I just can’t; and even videos like that i interpret the transitions as arbitrary linkages of discrete disconnected spaces.

i am too firmly embedded in 3-space to have a good visual imagination, i guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

you might try finding a copy of the old game Omega and mining that for inspiration. it was a game where you explicitly build and program a robot tank. the language was fairly similar to basic, which may not be suitable for what you’re trying to do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_(video_game)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

for any 'arts & crafts' types, BLACK 3.0 is out to buy now

https://culturehustle.com/products/black-3-0-the-worlds-blackest-black-acrylic-paint-150ml

I have a bottle of the 2.0 and that's plenty black but I'll be buying this regardless :o:

quote:

*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

always lmao at this beef.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I am fully on the anti-kapoor bandwagon. His pieces are just tech demos for the lab that invented the surface treatment -- no artistic intent whatsoever.

oh yes, it has merit, it’s just hilarious to see a paragraph long eula on a bottle of paint.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I am playing with a SDR and making my own GSM and LTE basestations. It turns out ours mostly about finding the exact arcane combination of hardware, firmware versions, fpga bitstreams, software, libraries, source code, etc. You can usually get a couple things working but not everything at the same time.

Anyway will report back when I'm a backyard NSA

be careful loving around on licensed spectrum at home, i personally know someone who ate a five figgie fine from the fcc for doing similar stuff in a dumb way. he lived next door to a military base, for starters.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dick traceroute posted:

Does this look suspicious

Should, in theory, open my workplace doors tomorrow

not from 20 feet away.

have a card or something that won’t operate the door in your hand when you do it in case someone sees you and gets pissy. if it’s a 125khz system make sure the card you have isn’t also 125 so you don’t get interference.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dick traceroute posted:

I mean, I do work there, and the regular card is staying in my wallet
The funny looks are kinda the point
It's a mifare classic 1k system

sounds like you’re all set

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

no rolling codes?

lmao, just about every 125khz card just yells out a serial number when you energize it, that’s all it does. there are some oddballs that do a little bit more but most of them are super dumb.

mifare classic has lightweight cryptography that’s been busted wide open for a decade at least. there are some others running around like desfire that are harder to break.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I learned that Rod Stewart is wildly into model trains and has built some ridiculously impressive poo poo.

oh yeah, he had a feature in railway modeller a while back. he worked on a lot of it while he was touring and i can just picture a crowd of screaming fans mobbing the hotel entrance hoping to party with him after the show and he’s just up in his hotel room painting graffiti on the side of a tiny warehouse. :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

im so overwhelmed right now

that is JUST the stuff that was in the passenger seat i havent even opened the back hatch yet

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1219077530327515137

THIS poo poo IS ALL MILSPEC

gently caress
FUUUUUUUCK

hell yeah

that company name is pretty good too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whats the best bet for an Arduino-like device (basically a shitload of GPIO) for someone who potentially wants to take their project commercial? I know from glancing at the Arduino licensing that I'd have to open-source parts of the project and ~MY IP~, also an arduino makes it really easy for someone to dump the firmware out of the device, obviously.

I need something that has Arduino functionality without the hindrances to commercializing

pic32 :kheldragar:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:yeah:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

I bought a 12v water pump, 12v lipo pack, and a pressurized accumulator tank so I could have a portable water misting system.

Designed and printed a nice bracket to hold everything together

please clean it religiously so you don't turn it into a legionnaires dispenser.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

you could call it the boomer remover

it’s not really that discriminating of a pathogen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if you’re serious about this call around to some patent attorneys in your area code and see who will give you the best deal on a one hour consultation, that will probably answer a lot of your questions and won’t cost much. may even be free but most of the free 30 minute consultation guys are stuff like family or estate law.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

does anyone even make plasma screens anymore? mine is 10+ years old and is noticeably dimmer than it used to be, but goddamn i love the colour reproduction and black levels on that thing.

no, the last market holdout was china and they stopped a few years ago. oled ate their lunch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

be careful, the last guy who did that supposedly got banned for it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fib posted:

Just received and soldered up my first ever pcb. It's replacing the hand-wire matrix in my 3d printed keyboard. Worked first try!

loving smooth

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

posting with moose milkie on the weed page

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doc Block posted:

raspberry pi compute module 4 apparently exposes a PCIe bus, to which you can attach all manner of other things, including nvme SSDs

people are trying to get it to work with PC GPUs :haw: :rolleyes:

oh great, pis will be the next shortage caused by cryptocurrency fuckers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

does anyone have recommendations for t-shirt printing shops that give absolutely no fucks about trademarks? I need like 5 extremely stupid bootleg shirts printed up for an event and lol @ the idea I can get anyone from the first 2 pages of Google result for "t-shirt printing" to do a run of Trump x Yankees x Iraq War garments

https://www.streetshirts.co.uk has worked well for nmn's designs and i've gotten stuff from them that other places have balked at. if you live near a mall there may be a stand there that does them and will give no fucks about copyright.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

played a lot of f-19 on the c64 as a kid. if the manual came with it give it a read, micro prose manuals had a ton of real world tactical information about the combat they simulated.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i remember having dreams as a kid where i ran the tv channel scan and it picked up 3 more channels that we didn't know about, and i was super fuckin pumped about this. welp that's my old man story for today

it was a real indiana jones moment as a kid whenever you discovered something like that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that and/or fire are giving me similar vibes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

paint itself is TBA, i'm going to talk to local shops to see if they can fill cans with paint off pantone swatches i bring in. otherwise it'll be krylon fusion

that sounds like something they should be able to do. do you plan to apply it with a spray gun?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m working on a USB stack for System 7 because I’m insane

excellent

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slow your roll on avatars; you're on #39 which is like GBP 290 you've given to this place.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hbag posted:

i didnt buy this one

sure and you probably didn't buy the crying baby one either but if i'm being generous and assuming half of them were bought by others and you just paid to change them back you've still spent almost $200 american on little jpegs and pngs by your posts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hbag posted:

ok cool let me hop in my loving time machine and not do that then

the general message i am attempting to convey here is "stop pissing your money away on avatars starting now and you'll have money for keyboards, hosting for projects, and other things that will give you more satisfaction."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

owns