Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why such a price for the gear on the left? Couldn't you import it cheaper? Unsurprisingly there are kick starters for more affordable metal 3d printers,

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/09/23/sub-4000-metal-3d-printer/

NASA has been using printed metal parts since 2013,

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/3dprinting.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I would guess high torque and battery life are not best buddies. Tesla's Model X is the first? Ground clearance for that model looks really poor.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

3d printing is neat and cute

it is not appropriate for multi thousand rpm RC car drivetrains with enough instantaneous power delivery behind them to drill or weld sheet metal

If it works for NASA and their rockets I think its going to be fine for an RC car.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

-some sort of sip phone. right now I have a sip cordless (grandstream 710) that owns,

Does that phone support multiple lines? Like can you tell which line a number is coming in, a different ring tone or something?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Found that Yealink has support for multiple lines but has not great reviews and the phone is 3 years old already, it always seems that the cordless phone market is very much stagnant (the Grandstream GS-DP715 is 2012).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

-some sort of sip phone. right now I have a sip cordless (grandstream 710) that owns,

Have you tried any of the mobile app based SIP clients like Join soft phone, ZoiPer, Acrobits, or whatever?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BiohazrD posted:

apparently that won't work, because you can't forward multicast over vpn, or maybe you can with a lot of work? i don't know. I'm not a network dude

It's easier with OpenVPN as you can bridge the network, but you can also use stuff like Hamachi or ZeroTier to go simple.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

32-bit ARM servers came and went because everyone apparently wants big memory, AMD have a new ARM chipset but not much else news.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

sounds like a job for 11 IN-9 bargraph nixies

These are pretty, 112 nixie IN-9's

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Presumably 40-bit, as 40-byte in 8-bytes is kind of :science:

A hex string would be easy to generate without going all itoa.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ooh, thought it was going to be SMT LEDs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Arcsech posted:

linode has pretty regular security issues

Who doesn't, but it does seem they do learn from their mistakes.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Someone else's project that is both idiotic and neat at the same time, he needs to gaze less at the camera though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-vFtiDYiIw

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Real time video encoding with low latency is still a really expensive market with custom hardware ($10k+). The hope is with faster PCs you can avoid a lot of that and do it locally, however organisations like the MPAA are aghast at the thought. Usually the trade off is higher latency, like 30s used to be acceptable for streaming.

Most HDMI input hardware is not reliable for heavy usage, especially USB based devices.

A lot of random cheap stuff is on Ali Baba though, market segment is usually security systems.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BobHoward posted:

it doesn't take $10k in hardware to encode video realtime with low latency. every smartphone today has a deece low latency encoder built in. so does every intel cpu which has an integrated gpu. so does every amd/nvidia gpu. encoders are everywhere and they're cheap

30s+ latency in streaming isn't a hardware limitation, it's an optional delay buffer which streamers can enable or disable

Good luck plugging a HDMI cable into your iPhone, and it running all day encoding. I'm not saying it is needed, I'm saying it is there, even B&H have a lot of random expensive encoders from $2-20k. Also see special snowflake requirements like the BBC with their Dirac codec. The expensive device mentioned is specifically the piece of junk encoding my 720p Dow Jones Index graph and sending it to CBS and other stations from the NYSE floor.

30s used to be the GOP buffer on streaming garbage like RealVideo, but is definitely not uncommon with 720p era encoding hardware. 5-7s today is common for average latency, i.e. the 6s GOP of 180 max frames that even Amazon media encoding services support. Low latency from Twitch is 1-2s, but if you just run regular webRTC encoding you can get single frame latency with no problems (I run video walls like this).

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 18, 2020