Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Holy d3.js is crazy awesome at data visualization stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

spongeh posted:

seconded. its a little weird to get used to but it becomes extremely easy to put together custom visualizations + behavior.

Quick example: This is (some of) the genealogy of the Canadian Monsanto decision.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

when i was in grad school we had a research project named in the form [thing]ville and after we published the first paper we got a nasty c&d from zynga because apparently we were diluting their brand or something. they claimed to have a general trademark on names of the form [thing]ville when applied to anything that has to do with computers. i didn't know you could trademark generalized language structures

Depending on exactly what you were doing, they probably would have lost a lawsuit (although you would have lots all your moneys from being buried under lawyers)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

co2 status: getting a feel for this carbonation thing. 34-36 psi seems to be right where i want it.

looking into making a carbonation box so i can carbonate fruit

Just use an isi or put the fruit into a balloon and then fill it with CO2.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bream posted:

i'm doing this thing where i'm creating a wireless ap out of a raspberry pi and from it an openvpn tunnel to my place of work so that all of my personal traffic will travel through the openvpn server at work.

on this server i plan to run some kind of pcap stuff to gather information about my network usage, web browsing habits, etc., but i can't think of anything really interesting to do with it. my first idea was to create a web page that had graphs, and call it nsaid. a friend also suggested using twitter to create a realtime broadcast of my browser history, but that seems like it would be interesting for about two minutes.

anyone have any ideas for something interesting?

Display stats on which sites you visit, how much time you spend inter netting and everything you ever type into any text box using Dashing

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

got a whole pile more photo flash capacitors for cheap, and now i have enough that fully charged they roughly equal the energy in a .22 springer air gun

hoping to build this into a little baby coil gun tank to drive around and pop balloons :hellyeah:

mount them all on your cat and train it to use them to daze birds for easy hunting

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

jonny if you don't put a bunch of levers all over that thing you're not going to have a housecar as grand as it could be

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

uh so did you know that parsing recipes from a few thousand 200-30 year old cookbooks is a bit difficult?

because well,

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Obtain yourself a large Fish & hack it to small gobbets & season with Salt and Indian Pepper finely disintegrated and other fine Spice then cook in a quick oven until done

pfft not even close

quote:

THE DUCK.—This bird belongs to the order of Natatores, or Swimmers; the most familiar tribes of which are ducks, swans, geese, auks, penguins, petrels, pelicans, guillemots, gulls, and terns. They mostly live in the water, feeding on fish, worms, and aquatic plants. They are generally polygamous, and make their nests among reeds, or in moist places. The flesh of many of the species is eatable, but that of some is extremely rank and oily. The duck is a native of Britain, but is found on the margins of most of the European lakes. It is excessively greedy, and by no means a nice feeder. It requires a mixture of vegetable and animal food; but aquatic insects, corn, and vegetables, are its proper food. Its flesh, however, is savoury, being not so gross as that of the goose, and of easier digestion. In the green-pea season it is usually found on an English table; but, according to Ude, “November is its proper season, when it is plump and fat.”

TO RAGOUT A DUCK WHOLE.
933. INGREDIENTS – 1 large duck, pepper and salt to taste, good beef gravy, 2 onions sliced, 4 sage-leaves, a few leaves of lemon thyme, thickening of butter and flour.

Mode.—After having emptied and singed the duck, season it inside with pepper and salt, and truss it. Roast it before a clear fire for about 20 minutes, and let it acquire a nice brown colour. Put it into a stewpan with sufficient well-seasoned beef gravy to cover it; slice and fry the onions, and add these, with the sage-leaves and lemon thyme, both of which should be finely minced, to the stock. Simmer gently until the duck is tender; strain, skim, and thicken the gravy with a little butter and flour; boil it up, pour over the duck, and serve. When in season, about, 1–1/2 pint of young green peas, boiled separately, and put in the ragot, very much improve this dish.

Time.—20 minutes to roast the duck; 20 minutes to stew it.

Average cost, from 2s. 3d. to 2s. 6d. each.

Sufficient for 4 or 5 persons.

Seasonable from November to February; ducklings from April to August.

[Illustration: BUENOS AYRES DUCKS.]

THE BUENOS AYRES DUCK.—The Buenos Ayres duck is of East–Indian birth, and is chiefly valuable as an ornament; for we suppose one would as soon think of picking a Chinese teal for luncheon, or a gold fish for breakfast, as to consign the handsome Buenos Ayres to the spit. The prevailing colour of this bird is black, with a metallic lustre, and a gleaming of blue steel about its breast and wings.

VARIETIES OF DUCKS.—Naturalists count nearly a hundred different species of ducks; and there is no doubt that the intending keeper of these harmless and profitable birds may easily take his choice from amongst twenty different sorts. There is, however, so little difference in the various members of the family, either as regards hardiness, laying, or hatching, that the most incompetent fancier or breeder may indulge his taste without danger of making a bad bargain. In connection with their value for table, light-coloured ducks are always of milder flavour than those that are dark-coloured, the white Aylesbury’s being general favourites. Ducks reared exclusively on vegetable diet will have a whiter and more delicate flesh than those allowed to feed on animal offal; while the flesh of birds fattened on the latter food, will be firmer than that of those which have only partaken of food of a vegetable nature.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

How the gently caress am I supposed to work with this.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

SAWSE MADAME. XXX.

Take sawge. persel. ysope. and saueray. quinces. and peeres [1], garlek and Grapes. and fylle the gees şerwith. and sowe the hole şat no grece come out. and roost hem wel. and kepe the grece şat fallith şerof. take galytyne and grece and do in a possynet, whan the gees buth rosted ynowh; take an smyte hem on pecys. and şat tat [2] is withinne and do it in a possynet and put şerinne wyne if it be to thyk. do şerto powdour of galyngale. powdour douce and salt and boyle the sawse and dresse şe Gees in disshes and lay şe sowe onoward.

[1] Peares. Pears. [2] that tat, i.e. that that. Vide Gloss.

GEES IN HOGGEPOT [1]. XXXI.

Take Gees and smyte hem on pecys. cast hem in a Pot do şerto half wyne and half water. and do şerto a gode quantite of Oynouns and erbest. Set it ouere the fyre and couere [2] it fast. make a layour of brede and blode an lay it şerwith. do şerto powdour fort and serue it fort.

[1] Hoggepot. Hodge-podge. Ochepot. Ms. Ed. No. 22. French, Hochepot. Cotgrave. See Junii Enym. v. Hotch-potch. [2] couere. Cover.

CARNEL [1] OF PORK. XXXII.

Take the brawnn of Swyne. parboile it and grynde it smale and alay it up with zolkes of ayren. set it ouere [2] the fyre with white Grece and lat it not seeş to fast. do şerinne Safroun an powdour fort and messe it forth. and cast şerinne powdour douce, and serue it forth.

[1] Carnel, perhaps Charnel, from Fr. Chaire. [2] ouere. Over. So again, No. 33.

CHYKENNS [1] IN CAWDEL. XXXIII.

Take Chikenns and boile hem in gode broth and ramme [2] hem up. şenne take zolkes of ayrenn an şe broth and alye it togedre. do şerto powdour of gynger and sugur ynowh safroun and salt. and set it ouere the fyre withoute boyllyng. and serue the Chykenns hole [3] oşer ybroke and lay şe sowe onoward.

[1] Chikens. Contents. So again in the next Recipe. [2] ramme. Qu. press them close together. [3] hole. Whole.

CHYKENS IN HOCCHEE [1]. XXXIIII.

Take Chykenns and scald hem. take parsel and sawge withoute eny oşere erbes. take garlec an grapes and stoppe the Chikenns ful and seeş hem in gode broth. so şat şey may esely be boyled şerinne. messe hem an cast şerto powdour dowce.

[1] Hochee. This does not at all answer to the French Hachis, or our Hash; therefore qu.

FOR TO BOILE FESAUNTES. PARTRUCHES. CAPONS AND CURLEWES. XXXV.

Take gode broth and do şerto the Fowle. and do şerto hool peper and flour of canel a gode quantite and lat hem seeş şwith. and messe it forth. and şer cast şeron Podour dowce.

BLANK MAUNGER [1]. XXXVI.

Take Capouns and seeş hem, şenne take hem up. take Almandes blaunched. grynd hem and alay hem up with the same broth. cast the mylk in a pot. waisshe rys and do şerto and lat it seeş. şanne take brawn of Capouns teere it small and do şerto. take white grece sugur and salt and cast şerinne. lat it seeş. şenne messe it forth and florissh it with aneys in confyt rede oşer whyt. and with Almaundes fryed in oyle. and serue it forth.

[1] Blank Maunger. Very different from ours. Vide Gloss.

BLANK DESSORRE [1]. XXXVII.

Take Almandes blaunched, grynde hem and temper hem up with whyte wyne, on fleissh day with broth. and cast şerinne flour of Rys. oşer amydoun [2], and lye it şerwith. take brawn of Capouns yground. take sugur and salt and cast şerto and florissh it with aneys whyte. take a vessel yholes [3] and put in safroun. and serue it forth.

[1] Blank Dessorre. V. Gloss. [2] Amydoun. "Fine wheat flour steeped in water, strained and let stand to settle, then drained and dried in the sun; used for bread or in broths." Cotgrave. Used in No. 68 for colouring white. [3] yholes. Quære.
oh yeah okay why don't you all just go gently caress yourselves

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

echinopsis posted:

yeah its fuckin cool how they've made it free for students. i mean they are dominating the competition

if u have questions be free to ask me

Github has a decent list of free poo poo for students.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

im really struggling mentally at least with figuring out how to at least provide the option of something less real. like i want there to at least be a very authentic mode where your character hikes at a couple miles per hour pace and the level is multiple miles of trail or bushwhack but i want there to at least be the option of toning that down to less of a colossal waste of time but i feel like the colossal waste of time is really essential to the hiking experience

Just make it so that the entire point of the game is to escape from Mantracker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Why are you ignoring my Mantracker idea it's brilliant.