Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

srq i...i like this thread

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dur posted:

woah that actually sounds really cool

yeah you say that when's he holding the world ransom because he built a goddamn weather control machine

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweevo posted:

i dumped the ROM from my cars ECU, disassembled the code, and have been slowly working through trying to figure out what it does

what's weird is that even though it's pure 8052 assembly you can see where different people worked on it because the code is so different

dude, share this

can't be one of my ecus since we were mostly v850 and hc11/hc12 based, so can't help much if at all

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i really want to learn how to hack on bmw ibus stuff. you can basically hook whatever the gently caress you want to the car if you get the protocol right

seems to be a lot of info out on the internet about it...looks like minimal interface hardware needed, from there its just all protocol stuff

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Smythe posted:

i write .... plays

write a radio play and then cast only yosposters

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i want to make tacocopter a reality

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

no real disaster-level (eg nuclear) weapons even bother to use anything external whatsoever these days. They use strictly INS and star sighting systems. Pretty much all branches of the military are prepared for GPS-denied combat, because any war on a reasonably even technical battleground (like vs europe, china, russia, india) will very likely see use of at least local or widespread GPS/related jamming.

celestial navigation is cool as gently caress

thanks to math we can send a giant rocket from our country to an accurate target (200m CEP publicly) across the globe :allears:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

do you work on these things? are we secretly coworkers? i hope not.

:ssh:

not anyomre

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

we're former coworkers? :stare:

i don't think so, it was in response to your first query

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to hackerspace so bad but i do not really have a burning desire to get endless piles of angry phone calls and emails when somebody forgets to sweep around the grinder

hackerspaces are p much sperglord central

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

since you're masking at byte boundaries, yes*

comedy factors where no, it will be slow as balls:
your microcontroller's architecture does not have a barrel shifter (lookin @ u msp430) -> all shifts get turned into piles of rotates. shifting by a variable? enjoy your rotates and branches!
you're compiling with optimizations turned off -> byte-boundary masks will just get turned into byte reads from some larger sea of memory (in this case, a uint32 or w/e). this only happens at some optimization levels! this penalty doesn't matter much unless you also dont have a shifter in which case lmao @ you

i think the atmega has a shifter so w/e

although i don't think there's a defensible reason to not either do it with a 4-parameter function or with structs!

i hate the msp430 so much

why can't anyone else make mcus with fram

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

weren't there fram pics?

i would be the happiest man alive if fram pics or fram arms existed

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

why do you need fram

fram's more resilient for certain environments

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

what like rad-hard or high-temp or?

yes

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i mostly finished laying out a side project:

dmx512 controlled interface for a laser + 3 motors. should be a fun sw project writing the dmx512/rdm slave interface code.

e: its purple because i'm getting the first few from osh park, matte black for the final

movax
Aug 30, 2008

01011001 posted:

nice. is this for a laser engraver or something

laser lighting / art stuff; first generation was can-based and driven by a kinect; this one will be dmx (better compatibility with 99.99% of lighting setups) and optionally kinect driven. dac drives laser brightness, 3x motors drive several optics at varying speed and direction to get some neat lumia-esque effects.

gonna have to find a decent usb<->dmx interface though, ideally one that has rdm capability. the usb<->can gateways i used to use were all rock solid.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

longview posted:

here's a picture from todays trip, note that the road surface there is probably the smoothest part there was

it's fully road legal with plates (not visible)

digging that jeep

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spankmeister posted:

maybe some day u won't need cables to charge :eyepop:

kill all cables

movax
Aug 30, 2008

coal is terrible, just use fusion power plants, they are available starting in 2050

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i saved connectors for last and suffered as a result, having to cram them in:

but, it's done now (i think), time to get it quoted :getin:

e: and there's some dip switches on the back

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

the connectors J5 & J8 are real close and pointed at each other, the cable for one of them is gonna have to get bent weird unless they're both supposed to get routed up. flipping one or both of them around would fix that

e: on second thought it depends on how your cables are polarized i guess, but still a thing to think through before sending the boards out

they do get routed up, but that's a good point...i can probably rotate j5 90 degrees to avoid that

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

bought a 29 inch arcade monitor for my mame project, discharging CRTs is kinda scary but it looks awesome

nice, 15kHz?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Block posted:

get whomever it is that got all the oldass audio ASICs to make you some sweet old school shootmans sound effects for you're game, luigi

oh poo poo yeah -- what was the p/n for that again? the ray gun asic

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hey web dev(s): what's the easiest way for me to setup a script or similar to watch for new tweets from a given user? twitter api? can't follow the person in this case otherwise i'd just use that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweevo posted:

why is programming PICs so annoying?

why doesn't my code work? is is because you can't use an I/O pin without reading every word of the 300 page datasheet in order to find out which of the 5000 other pin functions are enabled by default even though that makes no sense (set a pin to output? haha it's still connected to the ADC input!)? or is it because the five registers for controlling the port are spread across five different memory pages and you forgot to change pages?

PIC16 or PIC18?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweevo posted:

PIC16 (actually a 12F1822, but they're all as annoying as each other tbh)

PIC16s are the weirdest ones of them all, not suprising (the architecture is pretty loving old). PIC24, 32 and dsPIC33 are all pretty legit, the PIC18 is probably their best 8-bit arch.

Corla Plankun posted:

microchip documentation is the worst documentation i have ever read in my life

Doc Block posted:

PIC sucks DICk.

Use an ATtiny or ATmega. AVR for lyfe. Easy to integrate, easy to program, etc

look at how wrong these two posters are

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Block posted:

didn't microchip just give up and go with a MIPS core for the PIC32 or dsPIC or whatever?

PIC32 is MIPS yeah. dsPIC33 is a PIC24 core (mostly) with extra DSP hardware (DMACs, barrel shifters, etc)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shameful

(the lack of tweets)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

slight mod, random banner on reload

keep going, I'm almost finished

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played a Monaco GP game this week and it's amazing what they figured out they could do with TTL in 1980. color graphics! scrolling backgrounds! enemies that bounce between one side of the screen and the other! :supaburn:

i always feel like a really lovely engineer / programmer when i look at what was done 20-30 years ago with video games and poo poo

lost art these days

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i mean i'm spoiled rotten complaining about needing a few more bytes of space and they were like 'yo, mask roms bitch' or straight up building a game out of discrete ttl logic

or i'm bitching about fpga builds taking forever and some greybeard has a bucket full of gals/pals that were consumed while he was programming some poo poo by hand

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vlad the Retailer posted:

the tm1638 owns. 8 7-segs + leds + buttons for 3 gpios, uses an spi-style protocol, easy to set up

whoa that's a pretty neat chip; normally i'd think about a cpld or something for that. 8 digits off one driver ic?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

longview posted:

anyone know a way of emulating a full parallel port on windows or Linux and passing the output to a program?

I want to emulate an old parallel port dongle that originally acted as an I2C bridge (using a little microcontroller), if I could route the data going to the parallel port to another program I could just reformat the data and route it to a serial port (and connect that to a MCU that I control).

I'm running the original software under DOS in Qemu, so could be the easiest way of accomplishing that would be to make a qemu patch?

alternately, are there any parallel port to USB dongles that aren't limited to just acting as printer cables?

best shot on a recent machine might be through the sio chip on the mobo, if it's got the actual pins for a parallel port

otherwise, a pcie fpga dev card could do it, since you could request I/O BARs under x86, though then I guess you won't end up at 0x378

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i missed this thread. you're all smart fuckers. i'm burnt out at work and need time off / something else, tell me your deepest and darkest idiot spare time projects

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

crosspost from the cyberpunk thread

p stoked about the aesthetic of this thing

not quite as stoked about the readability in daytime. you can see it, but OLEDs aren't really full-sunlight-readable yet. you have to squint too much -- i want it 100% glanceable for safety. looking into reverse-mode FSTN LCD for a beta version.

on the plus side all of the code and hardware that's implemented is now working correctly. in like 600 miles of test riding i've seen one glitch. works beautifully up to redline and to 95mph indicated. solid

this is cool and i would very much die because i couldn't stop looking at that instead of the road

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Block posted:

a driver that emulates a parallel port and just redirects somewhere else seems like it’d be easier that soldering to the motherboard or making a PCIe card with an FPGA.

this is true

wasn’t sure if it was something that needed to emulate to a degree where outb(0x378, 0x69) had to do exactly that

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hifi posted:

matte black pcbs are disgusting

wrong

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

The rarely seen in nature Double :toxx:!

:agreed:

i feel like end of summer is enough time, right?

say by 2018-09-01 00:00 utc there shall be a slot machine arm like thing that makes a computer order a random pizza

I like it

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

hang on a second, I made no promises

sagebrush said if i do the thing, and i've already stated i'm not skilled enough to finish this project lol

i feel like you’re in the right forum to get help finishing this project!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Meat Beat Agent posted:

pizza toxx. if you don't do the thing you get banned. if you do do the thing you have to buy a pizza for everyone in the thread

assuming the ingredients don’t kill me i will the eat the results of a computer generated random pizza. subject to availability of the chosen pizza chain