Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i put a rotary engine in a miata once and it was a really loud fire-spitting thing that was a constant money-pit and i didn't have anywhere to keep it and my parents were getting sick of it being in their garage so i sold it

when i get a real job i'm not gonna make the same mistake

i'll do a v8 next time :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i figured out that KSP only has such bad lag with big structures because the physics calculations on the unity engine only happen on one core. wish i was a big enough badass to come up with a workaround

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

if you're gonna make yourself suffer you might as well use C, it'll probably at least be a lil faster. probably not much tho. would be interesting to see the difference

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ol qwerty bastard posted:

(red is x-velocity, blue is y-velocity at each point)

earthbound fight background simulator lookin good

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i got inspired and im trying to make a thing:

turns out python does not have any great libs that I could find that can handle drawing polygons anti-aliased, plz tell me if there is a good one tia

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Bloody posted:

make your own

i respect it when people take the long road and do that but i aint got the fuckin time to write some wack-rear end anti-aliased polygon drawin' algorithms right now, i have 5 cs classes and a job, I banged that gif out during a boring lecture

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i want to dabble with the nvidia parallel computing library but i dont have any big processing problems to solve

crack the neighbors' wifi? is that a thing that you can crack if u give a video card a few hours?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

high pressure things make me really uneasy for some reason idk why. like when i use an oxygen-acetylene torch im like 'what if i dropped the torch and it stayed on somehow and cut a hole into the acetylene tank and exploded in firey death'

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

pfff we can always uh, reclaim it from the stratosphere. its probably p simple and cheap

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

most sciency helium can be reclaimed/recycled on site

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i need a stupid electronics thing but everything i wanna do is big/expensive/dangerous

i guess i could build a vape but jonny did it already, it would still be cool tho

i was gonna buy a bunch of grow-light frequency leds and build a miniature botany lab but the vendor on alibaba never emailed me back and :effort:

e:

Dr. Honked posted:

i just got two arduinos in the mail. gonna duct tape em to my balls
wat u gonna build dr honked

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i think im gonna make a really stupid ios app i got a good idea in the shower i'll keep you updated yospos

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

use a keg full of beer for the ballast tank, two birds one stone

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i was thinking about doing my Senior Design project about a plant lab like use led grow lights and hydroponics and automate the lighting and nutrient levels, it would probably be computery enough, if not i could use a webserver to livestream plantstats

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

nice fuzzy ball

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

depends, what are you trying to actually do

imo its more important to Do the Thing in the easiest way possible, and if its actually cool and/or successful you could spend the time replacing the arduino with a purpose-built thing

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

c_node? o_node?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

:stare:

those leads arent even insulated are they

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

another tragic case of weed psychosis

don't bother banning him it will take its course and he will die soon

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i figure he's either discovered markov chains, is reposting from losethos man's website, or schizophrenia has manifested itself

sadly its probably the third thing and it does commonly manifest in one's early 20s

seek help, mrsuperawesome

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey mrsuperawesome, hey.

just because u know enough math and physics to know the buzzwords that does not make you a world renowed expert. or an expert at all really.

seek help (either a shrink, or a programmer to make ur markov chains funnier)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

AlsoD posted:

so when are we going to be able to do that with the colour of the car itself?

as soon as you tile a car with a zillion tiny LEDs

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

the boyz will love that one at the weekly taco bell parking lot meetup

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

power botton posted:

brewing beer is like repairing your own manual car. like yeah its useful i guess but these days i can just pay someone to do it for me and itll be much more reliable.

not being good at anything is like making dumb posts. like yeah its useful i guess but these days i can just wait for you to do it and it'll be much more reliable

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

motor honk is a feature not a bug

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i'm lucky in that i have a parking space in an underground garage, and also my main work shift is 6 PM to 2 AM, so i only have to worry about the car overheating whenever i go out for various things during the day

but putting the panel in the back window instead of on the roof isn't a bad idea

the actually correct way to execute your project is to hook the solar panel up to the car's main power, and just use your normal dash fans to cool your car, hth

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

the only way you might actually improve your car's energy efficiency with solar panels is to use them to charge your battery, then put a larger pulley on your alternator proportionally larger so as to reduce the output so that the solar panel makes up for it. also u gotta park outside

e: oh and we're talking a difference of < 1 mpg

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

lol cars. it's hilarious how inefficient things are when you start really digging into it. i shouldn't be surprised but stil lol. a pwm circuit with a single potentiometer would add like 2 dollars to the cost of the car but welp

my favorite i think is how when you put the a/c on at a setting above "maximum ice storm", it still runs the a/c full blast and just mixes in hot air from the heater core to warm it back up to the temperature you want.

:911:

the heater core is just full of hot radiator fluid, so thats just free heat anyway

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

a car engine's main job is to haul some hulking ugly 4000-pound metal thing around, plus your fat rear end

having a cheaper but slightly less efficient electrical system doesnt really matter because ur talking a difference of a handful of watts, which aint poo poo compared to its total energy output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

wut is that 4