Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

It's very likely a bad solder joint in the preamp/power section or one or more of those TO-92s ate it. I'm sure you've gone over it a hundred times but maybe get it under some magnification if you can. If you swapped out all the electrolytics and it's still making crumpling noises there's not much else it's likely to be. The transistors in those amps get yucky and bad with age, but good replacements are definitely easy to find. Cool project details btw thanks dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That's a good call. And yeah a coupling cap that's leaking can manifest like that cause it'll mess with the bias on the transistors. You're getting close imo lol.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

http://dangerousprototypes.com/store/pcbs

These guys have been ownage for me so far. They ship clean boards fast and they're CHEAP. Also I've left double sided silkscreen on all my orders and they've come back that way at no additional charge. Easy to communicate with and they tweet you updates. Highly goon recc'd.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That's a really cool and good way to spend your time. Don't worry about scraping the mask off unless you absolutely need to though, just solder directly to the component on the trace.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I don't do it unless I have to. I'd go directly to the component, but those little circles you see are the component. a little silicone shape holds a pad that comes down and connects the traces. I WISH i had a real button on there.

Yes my dude I read you BUT in this case the trace path isn't critical for timing or anything so all you have to do with the switch is short those two traces. The easiest way is to follow the trace to a soldered component and bang your lead into the existing solder. You can solder to the bottom leg of that three pin job on the right (or the top side of C22) with one lead and follow the opposing trace to the correct leg on the chip and solder the other one there. AND in reality depending on where that trace goes once it disappears under the chip, you might just need to short two of the pins on that original three pin component. :v:

Obviously it's your project so do whatever, but there is an easier way.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

netwerk23 posted:

A neighbor around the corner from me was moving and asked if I wanted their old XBox 360, for free. Problem was it had a red-ring failure. I accepted, followed a guide and replaced the thermal grease, new bolts, reflowed the solder, etc. Great, all buttoned back up. Now, the problem is when the thing died on them, they tossed the PSU. It's a Halo 3 edition green one. The 360's some friends of mine have are non Xenon/Zephyers so I can't borrow their PSUs to see if the fix was a success or not. I don't want to spend $30 on one from GameStop to find out the repair was bad, and I can't find a cheap one on craigslist or ebay.

Any suggestions where to find one? I don't even want to play it, but I can't sell it without at least making sure it turns on.

Take it to Games Pot and regale them with your tale of woe and suggest selling it to them. They will plug it in for you no problem. Bring an ugly woman with you for expedited service.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Trig don't beat your wife every night, chew Wrigley's.

loving solid A+

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

The right angle Neutrik ones are really nice. I don't think any of the common quality brands use a spring for strain relief but those ones use a rubber bushing that works really well.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That looks like preamble, "data", clock, "data" to me but I have no idea if that's right. So you could probably cut it down a lot.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Truly cool as gently caress. You gonna do a graphical masked overlay for part of it like KITT or M.A.S.K. or whatever? Definitely need a wheelie indicator.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Interesting that the only non pentode is the phase inverter. Probably sounds awesome and has a fair amount of gain? Those voltage selectors are nifty as hell too.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

because it's a mixer they might have wanted more gain? looks like the whole series was like that. pentodes usually are a little crunchier though and god knows how good the og ones still in there are but fuckin lol if you even unplugged them. i mean except to like deoxIT the sockets.

did you do any other mods or gently caress with the bias after you swapped the rectifier?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

To answer the question, that should work. What's the application?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

i'm starting to get into DipTrace and it's fairly dope. the package editor or whatever is good. i absolutely hate spending time working on library stuff in eagle tho so ymmv.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

haha he was surely loving around

did you get the stock output transformer or did you go for the beefier one? those things sound good with a diode rectifier too if you feel like adding a mod at some point.

transistor amps can kick rear end. i had an old acoustic control 150 and it was LOUD and sounded kinda like a mesa rectifier.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

nothing will punch you in the chest quite like that and the clean channels are ridic good.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

xoxbox?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Steve Reich would be proud god drat son.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

dirtypcbs is fine. a more expensive board will be easier to desolder.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Buy some finish screws glargwhrglabal

Cool poo poo!

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Lol gently caress you that just made me flashback

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That connector looks like a molex microlock kinda. That'd be the wrong pitch though I think. It's definitely a 1x15 'molex' wire to board connector/socket of some type though if that helps.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

My buddy sent me a PCB that he wanted me to work on and the pads and drill hole sizes are all over the place. Is there a batch pad edit in diptrace or what's the easiest way to bring them in line? I don't want to replace every one manually if poss.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

They tell you how to pop out the driver in the service manual, but it can be hard to get legit replacements. So go through actual retailers not ebay.

People swap them out all the time and i'm sure that's how you wound up with a borked pair. Those little speakers take a lot of abuse and with frequent use actually need to be replaced regularly cause they wear out, so you want to replace them both anyway. Especially since there's no real guarantee you're going to get the same driver you have. In any case break them in for a few days after you do the swap because more than any other headphone they improve after a little burn in.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

The chinese copy drivers are ok if you can get them cheap. They're usually lower impedance and won't handle a watt of power like the og ones, but they'll sound fine enough for normal loud listening.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

filing down a round shaft takes about 2 minutes, do it

This. They're soft AF. Also if you mean an AC buzz outside the audio system, it's probably a delaminating or loose power transformer which can be an easy fix. If it's in the audio system, look for cold solder joints, shady grounds and check the big power filter caps to see if they''re still within spec.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

My neighbors did one of those shows and from their experience it's great if you want to grover yourself. They asked us to be the annoying neighbors next door who were pissed off and offered a couple hundred bucks and we were like lol gently caress no.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

So just murder the camera crew and leave their bodies do be devoured by the apes of the jungle.

On second thought yeah go for it.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Hey I'm looking for the smallest spst toggle or latching button switches that you can get and I'm struggling with search terms. Something like the micro switches in a game controller but latching. If somebody could help me out that'd be chiiiiiilllll. :)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Those are the best I've seen so far. Thanks a lot I've been pulling my hair out on Alibaba lol. I'd consider smaller smt ones if you know where to find them. I struggle with finding caps and poo poo.

Like the button to reset a router through the little hole but latching? I'm not sure that's even a thing tho.

EDIT - With your help I think I found the search term for those little bastards: latching tactile switch.

muckswirler fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2018

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

galaxy audio makes one with an analog output if you can do a/d conversion. might be around a hundred bucks new?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Do you need new ones? Might be able to ask around and find some used ones.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Sagebrush check the ground connection and make sure that they're functioning properly. Are they stereo? 300 ohms isn't really that much and unless they're extremely low sensitivity most devices should drive them fine. It does take a little more oomph than a pair of earbuds tho. If you want to build yourself an amp though look at either of these chips:

http://www.ti.com/product/tpa6138a2 or other chips in that series

make sure to put a couple microfarad decoupling cap right up next to the supply pins and you're gtg

or

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6120a2.pdf if you want the option to drive it a little harder and use a more robust power supply topology

or

http://www.ti.com/product/LM4881 if you want to use as few external components as possible

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

You know you could just learn to play the piano :haw:

(that's rad)

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

open that vocoder up and bring it out front we want to hear it trig!

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

owns all the bones

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

impedance is not even sorta consistent from 20hz-20khz and it'll eat more current from the phone on bass hits than on hihats of an equivalent voltage
most of the time they test impedance at 1khz and call that the nominal number

yep this is exactly why they sound tinny. because they're looking for more current than you can currently provide to reproduce bass frequencies. just guessing, but their sensitivity is probably at least 12dB down from hifi cans. don't worry about building something and blowing them up. as long as you don't crank the input to your amp you should be fine. you can actually drive headphones from a power amp with a resistor network. also anything you find that will drive 600 ohm cans will drive those no problem. all this is assuming that we're not dealing with mic circuitry or anything goofy.

here's a calculator that'll get you in the ballpark but you don't need that:
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html (remember 110dB is too loud and if you're measuring 320 ohms, you're going to want to round up)

a hundred or two mW should be more than enough to get them moving.

if you want to do the dumb thing and hook them up to your Marshall here you go:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-amp-adapter/
Also some interesting charts in there.

but yeah any of those chips posted earlier will work and if you intend to power them from a supply instead of batteries you'll have no issues.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Sweevo posted:

true. but does that really start affecting anything until you get to higher frequencies (30mhz+?) and start pushing the limits with respect to chip timing?

As long as there's sufficient decoupling, it should be good up significantly higher than that. (See: an orange local decoupling cap at the + rail of every chip.) If you aren't doing RF tx/rx, it's just good design practice tho, right?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

welp, looks like I learn to solder now. there doesn't seem to be any combination of parts available that can do everything I want without it

get a temp controlled iron, a hakko style tip cleaner, a sucker and some wick from the get and you won't have any problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

napkin math ~210 amps based on like 75% of the cross-sectional area of the penny. it's going to depend on the ability to dissipate the heat.