Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

poemdexter posted:

I'm learning unity and trying to make a coop networked rogue legacy clone. Also, unity + futile is a great jump away from XNA and a small jump away from pure unity. Also, monogame is still missing a nice asset pipeline. Also, I spoke to one of the contributors to monogame and he doesn't know when asset pipeline is coming. Just make the jump to unity already and enjoy multiplatform builds. :getin:

how is futile? i saw it a few months ago, and i loved the description but when i got to "It's in development and completely undocumented... but it works." i closed the tab and never looked at it again. especially since i know approx zero about unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
i've used flixel and cocos in the past, but i'd rather use js than c# (and it seems js is kind of second class in a lot of unity stuff) and i've noticed a lot of really poor/outdated resources about unity so i didn't want to put in a lot of time only to figure out it sucks. i liked the level of abstraction it seemed to be at.

i ended up going with c and SDL 2, which finally modernizes a lot of their api and uses the gpu. of course i'm going to barely get anywhere with any language/framework i use, unity or not. sdl2 isnt one click but it does run on win/mac/lin/ios/android

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
put a camera attached to a rotating servo and then fly your model plane through the oculus rift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCdl_C3FPI

spongeh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2013

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Werthog 95 posted:

um

u realize that page is a joke right

no, anyone who enjoys obj-c has lost touch with reality

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESnZ8woNZI

tasvideos, dudes who use hacking tools to do stupid fast (often game breaking) speedruns. the 4k uploads are the least of it. plus even the lower quality versions look decent so they may be on to something

trap sprung i guess

drat, 240p of that vid looks almost as good as 480p renders do uploaded normally

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Sweevo posted:

why not make a game people actually want to play? instead of "lovely rougelike #2347"

why not be a not-jerk and not judge other people's spare time projects

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Moist von Lipwig posted:

p sure I wouldn't notice this unless someone told me to look for something wrong

do it with the e, c, and a. the a especially is horrendous.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Moist von Lipwig posted:

that is the arial a :unsmigghh:

so much for my 4 year degree in printing/publishing/typography

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
18/20, toyota and mattel

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bloody posted:

why would you waste 3 or 4 years on that

so i could get a job programming/web dev in the game industry

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bloody posted:

youre joking right

nope. many of the people in my classes are working at companies like http://www.capv.com/public/home.html or are involved with the print industry in other ways. i ended up in web dev/mobile app dev and then 6 months later went to a game company. (i didnt go into QA or anything thank god)

no regrets, besides moving to the dallas area

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

BANME.sh posted:

19/20 north face

Btw it's super easy for the lowercase ones because the ends of e's, c's and a bunch others are completely horizontal where arial's are angled

lower case t is prob the easiest, the ascender is slanted like a /

upper case G is gross looking in arial, the lobe just wraps inward instead of being serifed but upper case G is a little more rare than a t

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
when we're reduced to gutenberg presses we will control all human knowledge again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Holy d3.js is crazy awesome at data visualization stuff.

seconded. its a little weird to get used to but it becomes extremely easy to put together custom visualizations + behavior.