Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Symbolic Butt posted:

I wrote a buttbot for my native language last year and these days I decided to put it on twitter. I lost count of how many times it got suspended (I guess almost 20).

People seem to like it but I guess there are always 2 or 3 people in a group of hundreds that reports the account as spam.

i also hooked up buttbot to twitter and it hasn't been reported/blocked/whatever for nearly 3 years now :shrug:

my program just runs every 5 minutes or so, grabs stuff from the stream sample api until it succeeds (usually the first tweet is fine, but it'll keep streaming until it is able to process one), then reposts it, then quits and cron starts it up again later

i used to stream 24/7 but it was total overkill for something as low-volume as that

i also used to follow back anyone who followed it and use that to get tweets (using the api equivalent of the home screen), unfortunately it resulted in following like a thousand spam bots, poo poo source material, and me hitting the upper limit of how many accounts you can be following at a time (it's around 1800)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

movax posted:

hey web dev(s): what's the easiest way for me to setup a script or similar to watch for new tweets from a given user? twitter api? can't follow the person in this case otherwise i'd just use that.

no-programming solution: ifttt

if you want to actually write a code the api is pretty easy to work with and there are libraries for every language

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

oh god i think i figured it out

im about to unleash yosbrowser

this is cool. are you screen scraping?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk