Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

peepsalot posted:

As if i didn't have enough idiot projects, I took this as a challenge to see if i could decode the rom data.

The info is in signed 16bit fixed-point (8.8), and each vertex, if you can find it, at least has x,y,z coords in contiguous order afaict.

I used hexdump to give me some signed 16bit decimal output of roms, and pasted into some OpenSCAD script which connects the dots, and tried viewing various rom files starting from different offsets etc.

Closest I got to finding anything recognizable was this contiguous segment:

Which is clearly part of the title screen:

Kinda interesting that there is some 3D for these letters too. They are near the ground but angled up a bit, which can be seen vhen wiewed directly on end:

But it doesn't terminate correctly between the L and E (or on the first T), because each object doesn't necessarily have a closed list of vertices in order, and I don't know where those lists of vertex indices are, or if they'd even be laid out in any convenient way.
It would be nice if loops of edges had some delimiter or length info in there right next to their coordinate data, but I don't think that is the case.

Also annoyingly the 16bit fixed point aren't even consistently 2-byte aligned, so "TTLE" coords actually start on an odd offset (0x74F).
I had to dump it like this:
code:
hexdump -v -s 1 -e '/2 "%03i,"' 036410-01.lm1 > lm1_s16_dump_offset1.txt
(The "-s 1" makes it odd offset)

Whereas I can sort of make out "BA" in the data if i *don't* use an odd offset (no "-s 1"):
code:
hexdump -v -e '/2 "%03i,"' 036410-01.lm1 > lm1_s16_dump.txt
Anyways those sample images are just viewing a very small section of the full dump, and I really couldn't find a raw tank anywhere in there when viewing the whole mess of connected dots, (which is also a mix of data + instructions I'm guessing? as opposed to dedicating whole ROMs to 3d object data only)

So yeah this is still the main problem, and I didn't really feel like.going much further by running some debugger on 6502 code etc.

this kinda bullshit is my jam (not 3d, but more just finding weird poo poo in old roms). maybe it's itme to break out a hex editor and ida and see what i can find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I still spent some time disassembling it. I've found the pointer lists and the routine that reads them, it's just a matter of figuring out what it does.

What program are you using to visualize the vertexes?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
may as well post part of it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lutha Mahtin posted:

one of the reasons you hear "people used to put up with a streaming delay" is because twitch used to have a pretty significant and unpredictable one. but now, some of the newer streaming services have hardly any delay, and twitch's has gotten a lot better

to expand on this, early on (back when justin.tv was either on its way out or already dead), twitch used rtsp and flash to transfer video, giving delays of about 3~8 seconds on average.

as flash continued to get constantly poo poo on by the internet, twitch migrated to using hls. with hls came a huge increase in delay: upwards of 30 seconds. it was catastrophic when a lot of the fun of streaming is interacting with the person doing it.

eventually twitch tweaked and hosed with settings and encoding details and got it down to about 10~15 seconds of delay.

further changes and tweaks have gotten delay lower, often to about 2 seconds.

unfortunately this also came with a lot of other changes; keyframe intervals are now set to 2 and bitrate is generally supposed to be set to a constant value. this means you lose out on a lot of encoding benefits with vbr, so either you waste a ton of bandwidth on scenes that aren't changing much or your video turns into mud because you can't burst above 2000kbps when a bunch of action happens.

one of the old streaming alternative sites, hitbox, had low delay (in the age of 30s twitch) as their "big things". mixer also got delays down to a second or two, when twitch was around the 10s area. twitch has actually been historically terrible about stream delay but at least it's better, even if the rest of their site/product is dogshit.

Jonny 290 posted:

Because we gave billions of dollars to the major telcos and network owners in the late 90s to beef up their infrastructure, they pocketed it and did nothing, and we didn't throw people in loving jail for a thousand years over it.

Now we have soda straw sized internet tubes and everybody's upload loving sucks so we have to burn a lot of electricity and use billions of transistors to optimize our video to fit in those tiny, tiny upload straws.

We could all be on symmetrical gigabit pipes for $29 a month today if we would have strung up like four telco execs in '99

also this. it's absolute dogshit and the pandemic really, really highlighted how much "thanks for your money, we'll never upgrade anything" happened. it was especially fun when cox moved our connection to an overloaded node and for literal months we experienced constant packet loss and signal drops.

but at least they gave us a grace period on our data cap :suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
relevant to that last bit our isp has been so consistently awful i wrote something that pinged our home connection from a server and graphed it out

black = 0ms, bright green = 100ms, red = lost packet
(each pixel is one second, one row per 5 minutes)

truly quality deserving of one hundred and thirty united states dollars. thanks, cox.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
its gross but sure

there's also something even dumber you can just run locally (though it requires this)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i started tracking the cable modem's signals too, since that was a problem we had

this mostly just helped diagnosing the issue where our cable modem was being driven to > 58.1dBmV power, which is just slightly out of spec.

funnily enough when i first started doing this logging into the modem was done by plain-text query string parameters. :thumbsup:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds awful

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagacity posted:

Writing a 6502 macro assembler in Rust, because why not? Peak HackerNews!

what is the point of using a monospace font if you're going to use multiple fonts and gently caress up the spacing

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds like a pain in the .rear end

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i was doing something like that but far simpler in that i was trying to route everything through a reverse proxy that would strip the https out of things since old poo poo like w98 don't support most of the new protocols

lol @ web tv posting though that owns

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Drastic Actions posted:

i'm doing it now with my new version I'm building.

based on the accept-language of the browser (if one is provided), I encode the outputted HTML into its respected encoding (So now Japanese properly converts to Shift_JIS, which is how it renders here). But yeah, encodings on these old browser is a pain. i also added image compression and resizing as well (either site by site, the browser that's being used, or both. so if you're using an old Netscape that doesn't support PNGs, it'll convert it to gif or jpeg).

youtube is also, mostly, working now.

https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/1395573432641851392

thats sweet as gently caress, nice link to the tool too. that might make my attempt work better

i have a vintage toshiba satellite that came with windows and 32 mb of ram. iupgraded it to have 128mb more and it has a wifi pcmcia card and somehow a driver that supports 80211g

its funny how much smaller programs were back then

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
for our apartment we have ethernet cables running along the edges of the floor, with two strategically placed rugs to cover where they cross over the hallway

assuming you give yourself a decent amount of slack this seems to work well, if not exactly the most stealthy way. but we've had it like this for years

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
doing idiot spare time projects while :420: is absolutely fun and i recommend doing it as often as possible

i like disassembling nes games and it's hella fun when blazed because you get to see the occasional real stupid thing and just laugh about it forever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

shoeberto posted:

Fair enough. I really like it for moving my Keepass DB around, that's most of the reason I use it on mobile. Been doing a bit with todo.txt as well but that's a pretty recent thing.

this is what i need to do. we have a wd nas of some variety, and it seems you can install poo poo on it if you try, but i haven't really set up anything like this. since it's a nas it would be cool if we could have multiple users for cloud sync poo poo as well

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

haveblue posted:

try to get the ATI external tv tuner, it's still the most flamboyant peripheral I've ever owned

used to have an avermedia tv tuner that was a pcmcia2 card (the ones that had the connector that was half the size), i think, way back in the day. was pretty cool to have a laptop in 2006 where you could whip out a lovely antenna and a card and watch tv wherever. at some point i even had winamp streaming the video from the card somehow

tv tuner cards were neat

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i started writing notes/observations while disassembling nes games in a post my favorites thread, does that count

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
thanks

echinopsis posted:

its beginning to look acceptable https://crimecommitter.com

i hope that eventually committing a crime of littering spawns a little crumpled up paper ball that falls to the bottom of the screen

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you can do a crime, but you have to undo it within 24 hours

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Raluek posted:

theres a bit of "css is my passion" going on too, but its p minor lol

the viewer isn't the only one that gets to commit crimes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/xkeepah/status/1536902273682378752

i've had an aero city arcade cabinet sitting in my apartment for a few years now, relatively untouched since i bought it... because the guy i bought it from was a dummy who hacked up the insides a lot and my roommate (who actually did arcade repair for work) said "mmm nope we are not turning that on until i rewire it". finally pulled it out and opened er up

this thing is such a fuckin disaster inside. i'm not even sure what the best way to start cleaning the insides are. my current plan is to get the larger debris out (there's a few coins and loose screws in the back), then maybe idk grab the vacuum and use the hose extension to try and suck up the worst, then maybe give it the paper towel 409 wipe down

i'm feeling pumped after finally getting the ms pac cocktail cab i have up and running again; it it's fine, the power cord just needed repaired since the previous owner of that one did a poo poo job

https://twitter.com/xkeepah/status/1535139098955984896

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
set the language to jsonc (json... with comments!) and you can do that. i have no idea why the official json spec prohibits comments other than json is stupid.

not as stupid as xml, but still stupid.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
comments are still extremely useful unless you're naming your json keys "qualityOfYourPosts" since the only valid value there is "bad"

doubly so when they're used as config files or something or other

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
json, jsoff

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
of all the various markup languages yaml has to be one of the worst

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
less co2 means more room for farts

r u ready to WALK posted:

How much did it drop?
I wouldn't mind reducing my indoor co2 but I suspect it's real hard to get it below the 500ppm-ish ambient level

it sucks that the netatmo outdoor module doesn't track co2 to give a reference

this is pretty neat, what is it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
looks like you're piloting one of those scrubbing bubbles

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
thrust'n bust

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that rules

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
stick a camera in it somewhere and make some dank time lapses tia

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
plants are neat and that's a cool plant case :shobon:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i use mine to open the apartment gates. and turn off random tvs :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

honestly the moustache and :yooge: mouth are too powerful

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

i realized while drawing each of them that i was taking a risk, but i could not have anticipated the danger they pose together

alas, what's done is done

my only request is a way to change the priority of stuff; if you want a cool idea for a v2 you could have various drawers of components that could open with a replenishing stack of stamps to stick on poo poo rather than the disorganized pile

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

you can see the exact moment where i went "wait, that works"

decker rules :lol:

e: top right is a misterradon cameo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if using 99999 over and over doesn't work, you can always use the current time. :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kumquat posted:

I have some ambitions [...] but I have almost 0 follow through on pet projects

:yossame:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

make it possible to hack the police and make crimes legal

ironically, this makes it impossible to progress in the game unless you hack them illegal again

hack all the cmoputers and turn them into bombs

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that's some good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

the main touch adaptation is that there's a soft keyboard that eats/reflows a big chunk of the ui space whenever a field has focus:

i also recognize some gestures for navigating around decks. from the beginning i designed the entire ui to offer menu-based alternatives to everything keyboard-based and avoided any use of right-click. similarly, the scripting apis are designed for a common denominator on touch device: no tooltips, no custom cursors, no hover events, no raw key events, etc

on a larger tablet it works reasonably well. on a small phone it's pretty terrible unless you're using a device that has a stylus. on chromebooks it'll support hardware keyboards and work almost exactly like the regular desktop version

i suspect that few people will want to use tablets and phones to create decks, but i'd like for those users to be able to use decks and perhaps do some light editing within reason

the one thing i was wondering about this is how accessibility will work; without a cursor things like "invisible buttons" become actually invisible, since those at least give you the affordance of the pointer turning into a hand; tab also lets you cycle through buttons and the like, but that's also out