Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

letters aren't also genetic fractals; 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

If I can figure out how to strap my dremel perfectly vertical in my drill press I can drill PCB holes and since I can etch I could then make finished boards at home, would be dope

could you just put a tiny drill bit or grinding head in the drill press chuck and skip the dremel entirely?

colbylol posted:

i like the way you think jonny

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

timecube is a valid idiot spare time project right

a couple of my friends have gene ray's phone number and one day they decided to call him up and get him to personally explain his theories about time, the jews, and 4-sided equilateral days.

they tell me that he's a friendly mostly-coherent guy who's very happy to talk about his weird-rear end ideas, but now they won't tell me his number b/c they feel ashamed at exploiting a mentally-troubled senior citizen. i want to talk to the dude before he kicks it :(

lol at everything happening over the past page and looking forward to seeing Mr SuperAwesome with the nobel prize in stoner programming or w/e

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm not angry. I'm really happy when I get to own people for saying stupid poo poo.

lmao at this & at you

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

MeruFM posted:

this thread is living up to its name.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's a FRC robot, so I assume running from a 12V battery through a 120A main breaker. the CIM's stall current is listed as 133A, so 900+A from 6 motors is pretty feasible and also kind of funny. maybe get the students to program some sort of voltage ramp function into the drive code so the thing isn't instantaneously slamming from full reverse to full forward? also post robot pics, robot designs are always super creative and fun.

i'm working on an entry for the MATE underwater robotics comp right now. we're required to source power from the surface through a tether at 48VDC and a max current of 40A. problem is that right now the tether is 60ft of 12 gauge wire, so I can't imagine that great things will happen to it at maximum draw. fortunately it's water cooled! i'll post some pics once it's closer to completion.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

coffeetable posted:

hey sagebrush saw this and thought of you

i want headlights with a setting for black

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

brushless dc motor with an optical encoder on the axle feeding into a PID loop

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a digital cat map that shows the locations of your kitties on a diagram of your place of dwelling

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

this came up today and i figured one of you guys would know, what is an expected ballpark resistance value for tap water with leads near but not touching?

i actually tried this a few days ago while trying to make a cannister flood sensor and tap water was reading as a few MΩ although it was also swinging wildly higher and lower

e: what's the thing you're working on btw

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

black boys ravish our young girls, but violet goes willingly

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

still owns

could you post a link to your waterproof servos, i'm looking for some that will run at 5V and keep working while i dunk them in a swimming pool

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

hitec makes pretty good ones

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-646wp_servo.html these guys are what i use, they work at 6v though. havent had to replace one yet

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5086wp_servo.html#.U0iQ0Mevm60 maybe this will work?

i'd found the first one but i wasn't sure how well a servo designed for 6V would work at 5V. second one looks pretty ok, only potential issue would be the depth rating, since it'd be a few more meters underwater than IP67 specifies

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

how far down would it have to go?

at most 5 meters.

the watertight plugs that were supposed to be rated to 10m (IP68) needed some pretty involved modification to not leak at all at depth.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

christ i've gone down the arduino hole this weekend

now i'm thinking about getting a beaglebone

i've posted to the forums from the beaglebone black, it owns a lot

as long as you remember that it's a single-board computer and not a microcontroller and use it as such you'll have a great time

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

eagerly anticipating watching the yosvan take shape

have it tweet whenever you cross a state line

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i love aliexpress so much. ACRYLIC CLEAR GLASS PLASTIC POLYCARBONTE PC CASE FOR RASPBERRY PI + 3 HEAT SINKS ALUMINUM METAL (lot of 200)

how many low power yet dangerously unfiltered laser modules should i buy?

100% pure capsacin powder
US$10-100/kilogram
200 Kilograms (min order)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

easy. trying to put light under rocks in wifes new aquariam

hot glue isn't very good at resisting water in the long term. if you want your circuits to stay waterproof forever, pot them in casting resin.

this obviously precludes ever using the circuits for anything else

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

cistps: ordered a bag of 50 3.875" o-rings from mcmaster because i am dumb, couldn't find a place selling them in smaller batches, and forgot how expensive their shipping is even for tiny orders. at least now i have enough spares to replace any that wear out i guess

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

solidworks is also excellent, and for mechanical stuff there's nothing like it, but the student edition is 150 dollars a year for a limited version and a regular commercial one is like 4000 dollars.

solidworks makes all its money off big engineering firms and doesn't really give a poo poo about people who use the limited student edition. it's pretty easy to snag a free academic license or twenty if you send them a nice email and are involved with some sort of educational engineering or design thing. in the past six years i've never had to pay for a copy of solidworks, which owns a lot because solidworks is the pro-est of the cad programs.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

my big wad of o-rings showed up today, so lmao at having like 45 spares now

hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to hop on the lathe and get into fabrication. btw my current idiot project is a cute lil pressure vessel, which depending on its ability to keep water out and air in may make its way onto a cute lil rov.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

these are going to mental when running off their LED drivers

hope you like your blind fishes i guess

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

can anyone point me to some good resources on orbital mechanics? i'd like to know if i can make a system of equations to convert the position and velocity vectors of an object orbiting a planet into the parameters of the ellipse/hyperbola/parabola representing the objects orbit and the numbers representing where the object is in its orbit at a given time and vice versa. i'd also like to know if someone's already made something that does this so i don't have to figure it out myself.

i'm screwing around with orbital stuff in Unity and the above would make transitioning from a frame-by-frame physics model to an on-rails one much simpler.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

lol at everyone programming space stuff
here's my idiot spacegame project

features:
- orbit the big white earth-ball!
- apply thrust in different directions!
- speed up time b/c holy crap it takes forever to complete an orbit in a 1:1 simulation!!!

tasks:
- maybe have the in-scene camera actually work and not just do everything through the editor window?
- solve for the orbiting thing's orbital elements given its velocity and position relative to earth? (this actually turned out to be pretty challenging but i'm slogging through it)
- draw the predicted orbit? (related to above)
- add gameplay?!?

it's been p cool and fun so far. hopefully something interesting will come of all this.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i like the "open world" aesthetic in this game

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

my laptop has 16gb of ram. i'm not sure if it even makes a difference beyond the original 8gb but whatever/lmao. i dont really play "modern" "games" but it works great for solidworks so its fine by me.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

theadder posted:

windows is p bad

actually, it is good

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glans Dillzig posted:

hey yospals

gonna be (attempting) to build a robutt to fetch me a beer. starting off small (aka not opening the fridge and getting it, just off the ground or something) but hopefully eventually i can make it work.

no i have no experience with any of this poo poo

it's gonna own

build a fridge-mounted beer launcher and have it zero in on an IR-tagged beanie to accurately deliver your beer at high velocity.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

build a system pf pneumatic beer bottle delivery pipes into your residence, with receptacles by every couch.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

should use face detection + recognition instead so it can do away with the beanie and deliver appropriate beverages based on past user preferences

*idiot housemate enters kitchen*

*8 cans of miller high life at 15m/s delivered directly to the trachea*

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Stealth Like posted:

do this. this sounds like an accomplishable goal

make it tweet too

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

oh god i think i figured it out

im about to unleash yosbrowser

wowzers!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

same, but with less discernment

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

has a NDA every jelped the world

i would tell you, but i have an NDA

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i had a kinematics assignment involving programming a simulated delta robot. i was supposed to program it to make a shape.
after some fiddling in matlab i made a program to convert a series of user-specified vertices into movement commands.

learned a lot, works pretty well

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i have previously posted on these forums from a Beaglebone Black.

a good tiny computer

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

same beaglebone is currently inside this thing, my (team's) current idiot project:

a robot thing which you can drive around underwater from the dry comfort of the surface while looking through its camera and (eventually) grabbling stuff or something, who knows

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's true, though!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Bananalogue posted:

hey idk if this thread is just for coding or w/e but i have next week off to gently caress around and i want to make a chiptune or synthwave track and actually finish the fucker so plz berate me if i dont do so tia

will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

lmao irl at people who care about software this much