Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my spare time project is working on my thesis so that i can some day graduate

i am a full time shitposter so theres not a lot of time left in the day to maybe someday graduate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i strongly desire to go back in time 2.5 years and brutalize myself until i agree that going to grad school is a loving awful idea

a bit late at this point, i submit my thesis in 9 days

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CamH posted:

did you at least do a worthwhile program or are you some kind of shitlicking philosophy major

my work at least has the potential to be lifechanging for millions of people in a few years if my sponsoring company and i continue to see it through (lol the money will dry up for no good reason) so that helps i guess

doesnt help with the fact that i've only got 30-some pages written and cant think of anything else to drone on about

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dead Man Posting posted:

throw in a bunch of graphs, statistics, and Victorian literature. that'll get you up to 90 pages

cant add number poo poo until my results finish processing but i just got the second set of patient data like 3 days ago and it requires lots of loving with before i can actually get it to spit out results :supaburn:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you know you can buy all of these parts online for prices very close to free, right?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

buy a hundred of every common value you might need for like 20 bucks and be set for life

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

existentialism has been tearing me apart for months now send help

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my dream is to do some artisanal craft like woodworking or bicycle repair but i just cant imagine them paying the bills but it sure would be nice to love what i do

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

install lindows

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i have this plan to build a semiautonomous UAV; the physical airplane part is easy enough but i want to stuff it with the guts of an old phone so i can preprogram it with GPS coordinates that it will fly to

also using the accelerometers in the phone for inertial navigation to supplement the GPS is a thing that would be cool to do

could i just use a rooted android phone? how easy would it be to get it to talk to an arduino or something through the USB port so that it could control the plane?

usb sucks to work with, phone accelerometers should be called isthephoneupsidedownornoters and are pretty much useless beyond that so good luck getting useful ins done with them, also phone gps is pretty crappy even by gps standards so just even more lol

im basically just here to poo poo on your dreams, sorry

realistically you could do it okay with a gps receiver from sparkfun which has the added bonus of not androiding your battery life, working well with an arduino, and being at least decently accurate. still won't be able to land but for flying to some coordinate position itll do okay until it's close.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

no i definitely want to hear what parts of my plan aren't realistic, so it's good to know

what about standalone 3-axis accelerometer modules? or are these super expensive or something.

also if the dead reckoning navigation is good enough then you could probably get away with only turning on the gps every once in a while for course corrections, although this would probably only work if there's a negligible amount of wind. re: battery life, i'd like to have the phone or whatever running off the plane's battery where it'd be a small draw compared to the motor and servos anyway. i just thought it'd be easier to have all the avionics in a single package. but idk really about this sort of thing

is this true in canada too? i mean it's not like i'm trying to build a cruise missile here; the most dangerous thing i'd strap to it is a gopro camera

it depends on how much you wanna do yourself and how much you wanna spend but you can buy pretty heavily integrated avionics packages that'll do lots of sweet poo poo for you like poo poo on this page https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/160 which'll integrate accels and gyros and they probably won't suck as much as phone accels

the thing with MEMS accelerometers and gyros is that you pretty much always get what you pay for. the ones in phones are basically the cheapest you can get that still function, since pretty much their only use is "which direction is down relative to the screen". cheap accels are fine if you just want to know instantaneous acceleration, but once you start integrating for velocity and displacement the errors start adding up hilariously quickly. realistically though you're not going to be able to buy good enough accels for decent position data longer than half an hour or so and that's only if you're shelling out thousands. idk much about UAVs though last time i was loving around with GPS and inertial navigation was on a boat, and GPS was more than adequate for our needs. we used one of these receivers and it put our boat within a couple feet of our target pretty reliably: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/465 as an added bonus they're dead simple to use. ive actually got atmega C code around here somewhere for talking to one, although there's almost certainly a more integrated arduino solution.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

yeah GPS is accurate to within a few meters, and it's improving every year. there's also the ESA galileo constellation going up between 2014-2019, with an open signal accurate to within <1m + a commercial signal accurate to <1cm

same for the GPS L5 bands which are already going into service, but receivers for them seem to be hard to come by still, at least on the cheap end. i dunno, i haven't dealt with this poo poo in a couple years.

definitely beats the 90s when gps was intentionally crippled on the non-mil bands though :v:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ana5000 posted:

And what's stopping them from adding a camera and image recognition software for the missile to periodically literally look where it's going?

no real disaster-level (eg nuclear) weapons even bother to use anything external whatsoever these days. They use strictly INS and star sighting systems. Pretty much all branches of the military are prepared for GPS-denied combat, because any war on a reasonably even technical battleground (like vs europe, china, russia, india) will very likely see use of at least local or widespread GPS/related jamming.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

celestial navigation is cool as gently caress

thanks to math we can send a giant rocket from our country to an accurate target (200m CEP publicly) across the globe :allears:

do you work on these things? are we secretly coworkers? i hope not.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:lol:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah the place i work does lots of different things. i work on medical poo poo, not guidance poo poo.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

:ssh:

not anyomre

we're former coworkers? :stare:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thread is unstickied, rip this thread, it was surprisingly good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

just finished the first little part of my project and learned some javascript and jquery along the way

LiftBot

i like that the default number when i opened it is 315

like i can come close to lifting that much of anything lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

A 315 deadlift for reps is pretty achievable for any dude, come hang in YLLS :getin:

i do hang in ylls but i get really bored of lifting around the time i can do a few reps of my body weight i'd rather just bike generally

also im so awful at bench pressing that lifting just demoralizes me. like my form is okay and stuff i just plateau at like 100-110 pounds and its just shameful

and i get uncomfortable increasing my squat weight because i lose confidence in my lifts even though my form is fine and everything i just dont like pushing it past like 150

liftchatsnype

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Werthog 95 posted:

lol gently caress a grey forum. wake me when it's restyled, lowercase, and filled with insecure "irony"

current projects: learning blender so I can order some 3d printed poo poo. idk what yet. also I've got the urge to build a pinball table but considering that even just maintaining one is a sisyphean ordeal I think I'm just gonna ride this one out

shouldnt you be using a real cad if you want to actually make things rather than pixels

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sketchup maybe? idk use solidworks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

yo could you recommend a good simulator? i keep finding lovely java ones but im convinced there's some nerdtool that is exactly what i'd like it to be (drag components onto a space and connect them and inspect voltage and see things happen etc)

didnt bother to look to see if this is answered but there's about a million spice variants that you could use. i usually use ltspice for no particular reason. its free and has the features you mentioned.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually dealing with solving the differential equations for a tepid pool machine sounds completely overkill. stick in a large K, a medium D, and a small I and try it out.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are you afraid of c?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you wanna actually learn from your idiot spare time project do it in c it won't be that bad and you'll learn a whole bunch

if you're using msp430s which i think you said you were then its quite easy

how to do embedded development:
10 read the datasheet
20 goto 10

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

WorkingPeer posted:

i was gonna go for the atmega328p

oh okay. also a reasonable choice, also pretty harmless in c.

WorkingPeer posted:

i really want to be cool and awesome and etch my own pcb and surface mount everything cause i deserve the best techmology has to offer. :c00lbutt:

don't bother etching your own because getting good-looking pcbs done elsewhere is insanely cheap and the results are way better than you can do yourself, particularly when you need SMD tolerances. also, soldering smd by hand really is not difficult, the only bits i avoid are 0201s, packages without leads (eg QFN), and physically inaccessible packages (eg BGA). pretty much everything else is really not particularly difficult even with lovely equipment. surface tension is kinda magical.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my dirt cheap board shop of choice is http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order because you get excellent quality boards for dirt cheap if you can sometimes wait a week or two

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hubris.height posted:

you edited out the perlin noise thing which i'm doing reading on right now. its interesting but not really super relevant i think but i dunno it could be interesting

i would prefer smooth trajectory because smooth velocity means a pretty much uniform rate of acceleration if i'm understanding the concepts correctly

velocity is just the integral of acceleration, so no, smooth velocity does not mean a uniform rate of acceleration. smoothness is just differentiability (as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiable_function ).

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

WorkingPeer posted:

i'm really loving learning about electronics. this enthusiastic australian man with a slightly annoying voice is the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXE_dh38HjU

didnt watch but dfm is pretty easy just keep all trace angles oblique and use as few different parts as possible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

WorkingPeer posted:

yeah thats essentially what he conveys but he takes an hour to do it. it's worth a watch anyway cause none of us have anything better to do

:justpost:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get a metcal :getin:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root for your lighting math needs

this isnt a spoiler of your own future work because this is something i can pmuch guarantee you never arrive at independently while also being cool enough and simple enough to understand

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Socracheese posted:

i got inspired and im trying to make a thing:

turns out python does not have any great libs that I could find that can handle drawing polygons anti-aliased, plz tell me if there is a good one tia

make your own

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do some c its the best language anyways

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

the problem with python is that it owns so much and when I think about coding my arduino it's like "fuxk bro why can't I just do this or that" and eveything takes a loving hour to sort out or make it work well

python just gave me the tools to do what I wanted while c is the programming equivalent of voting in the new pope

dont make me go on my embedded spergrant again please

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ferr posted:

i am making this post up as i go

i am a markov chain that generates posts based on previously seen content here in the 'pos bithc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

ps: the most enjoyable thing about 3d projects is loving them up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-MyMBJsYu4

im the fraps logo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ill show u a hairy ball :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESnZ8woNZI

tasvideos, dudes who use hacking tools to do stupid fast (often game breaking) speedruns. the 4k uploads are the least of it. plus even the lower quality versions look decent so they may be on to something

trap sprung i guess

tases are designed to be repeatable on real platforms and great care is taken to ensure it to the point that people have modified n64 controllers to precisely play back the control inputs used in the emulator stage to a real n64 and then record that whole thing for verification

it mostly only matters when new glitches are discovered to verify that they are game glitches and not emulator glitches