Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it's probably dumb but i keep thinking about that design as used for high-surface-area solar panel deployment

probably better shapes and systems though, i'm no space expert like musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Schadenboner posted:

How about doing something to make captions via lip reading?

how about using deepfakery to do the inverse :colbert:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
edit: wrong thread, super cool n64 demo :o

psiox fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 28, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jurassic Park, but with gliders that get Too Smart

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

:yosnice:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Luigi Thirty posted:

it can, but then I have no WiFi.

If this new modem is running the same garbage software package I’m going to scream use it to solve my problem anyway

get a nice consumer router and run openwrt on it

those all in one modem+router things are trashfires

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
starting to think about a project to etch MIDI onto vinyl in some encoding that then gets piped directly to an sc-55

or maybe i'll just keep listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEkNVq1ct0

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
please use openwrt instead of dd-wrt, that project is complete trash and openwrt is significantly more modern

also: if you're having trouble with dns getting 'helpfully intercepted', there are dnsmasq options to work around that bogus nxdomain bullshit

looked briefly into running unbound as well, but not using my isp's resolver + fixing the above has handled pretty much all i need in that regard. bless you, dnsmasq. dnbless

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Schadenboner posted:

I pared-down the Pis, took a failed OpenVPN install off one and working LibreNMS off the other, I'm going to see how far I can underclock before my DNS resolution gets lovely. I'm hoping to get idle temperature down to about 50C (it was idling around 58 at full clock).

I'll be surprised if you reach a point where things really stop working; my teeny tiny openwrt-powered router runs openvpn swimmingly full-time (though I have it use elliptic curve crypto with mbedtls, which speeds things up). Kinda surprised at how well it works, truth be told. And all at ~1.5W!

Edit: Oh, and re: monitoring, I have influxdb running on a pi zero w and it seems to be Totally Fine. PHP+MySQL do seem ambitious for that kinda hardware.

psiox fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 9, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
these projects look neat, i'd be all about 3D printing if i had better ventilation

so instead I'm trying to get into amateur radio. so far just fiddling with GQRX with an RTL-SDR and a cheap Baofeng radio with Chirp. Fun stuff, I need to figure out a good curriculum for learning more in this vast universe of greybeard radio knowledge.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm here i'm here

it's big and long but there are some posts in my old 'mined ham thred

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610457

oh snap, thanks!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

hidden_msg posted:

an automated roaming basketball goal that lets me dunk on ppl irl

yess, way to physically crowdsource calling-out

all scorecounter going up to 'CANCELLED'

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i ain't cotton to hyperdimensional objects what my primate brain can't ponder :mad:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

spankmeister posted:

1 = lowercase L is violence

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
welp I've decided to actually allocate time daily and try to learn to play the dumb guitar I've had sitting around forever

anyone have any good suggestions for where to get started? I'm sure there are good free resources on the internet these days and I'd love to hear from people that know what the hell they're doing

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i think i'm gonna abandon all my dumbass transcoding adventures and just buy a goddamn synology

it's amazing how much cheaper it is to solve some problems with money

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sagebrush posted:

does anyone still do powerline networking?

not personally but i've had a few people try it out and it seems Fine; better than it used to be but still not a 'real' replacement for ethernet. it sounds like it kinda depends on your wiring, though, so maybe try something from amazon or wherever that could let you do a return if it's not working out

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i really wonder what kind of traffic you could intercept outside someone's place though, at least wireless stuff is usually somewhat encrypted

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
page making me wonder if i should have more spare time projects instead of, like, weed and video games and bad movies

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Doc Block posted:

🎵 holy poo poo piss, livin’ on a prayer 🎵

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Do you really need that many babylons five

absolutely, see title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Okay no one told me about the butts

You fuckers

dang you, i meant my custom title that was lovingly purchased by a friend who is mystified at my love of babylon 5

i have also become a datahoarder (again) recently and it is great. back on my bullshit downloading all of 'are you afraid of the dark?' from usenet