Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hey idk if this thread is just for coding or w/e but i have next week off to gently caress around and i want to make a chiptune or synthwave track and actually finish the fucker so plz berate me if i dont do so tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
post your idiot spare time user interfaces

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bananalogue posted:

hey idk if this thread is just for coding or w/e but i have next week off to gently caress around and i want to make a chiptune or synthwave track and actually finish the fucker so plz berate me if i dont do so tia

status: im not going to finish the fucker so i should be berated but i did get a bit of inspiration in the last hour or so

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
love watching them butts juggle

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
set up a net, call it beach volleybutt

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i made a new beep boop album

also i got a real fancy spirograph set

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

very fitting music for programming, I approve.

tyvm

if you need something programmy its worth noting that one of the modules in the rack is a combination 8-bit adc/dac which among other things can bitcrush audio or do weird rear end computy things like directly manipulate or flip bits between the converters, or unlink them entirely and use them as separate tools

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
thank you for the kind words :)

the term you're looking for is berlin school, which was coined in the mid-70s for tangerine dream, kalus schultze, ash ra temple and the like. it's differentiated from 'dusseldorf school,' which was basically kraftwerk and maybe some stuff that wasn't kraftwerk

TD's best stuff imo was in that era -- phaedra, stratosfear, rubycon (side 2 especially), but while it's not exactly a huge subgenre there are some gems along these sequencer-heavy synth lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuM_vOBIc6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMmBRjrDXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHjd5rW7uYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3iXSB6TvQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ALQtSlnCA

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
meanwhile im hella enjoying making spirographs

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Doc Block posted:

i'm learning Godot

been waiting for this, thanks :tipshat:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I mean why the hell else would you name something godot

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

this is super cool

tyvm

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

part 2 is up

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I want to get into fractal art again :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

i can't, ultrafractal shits all over my computer because i have a faulty 2011 imac with a hosed up video card :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

sometimes I am amazed at how elaborate the art for adverts in the 50s and 60s was

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

iirc it was in a neiman marcus catalog as a $10,000 fantasy gift. i don't think they sold any

Yeah. But the artwork, y'know?

current idiot spare time project status:

so the thing towards the center with a screen and like half a pentagram in it is spitting out voltages corresponding to chords. but instead of making a chord this is being fed to a sequential switch and on to a two-osc synth voice for a nice repeating four-note sequence (including the tonic for the key).

these chords are being altered via what are known as neo-riemannian transformations, which do things like exchange a major chord for a minor, gently caress with the highest tone etc. but by itself it sounds like dogshit because you go out of the scale for your piece real quick, so there's a quantizer in the middle of the signal path to force it to a minor key. thus

the transformations are triggered via euclidean rhythms, something some dude at mcgill came up with which uses the euclidean algorithm to evenly space, say, five notes into a sixteen-note pattern. The number of hits for four of the transformations is controlled by that black pad with the red LEDs, which functions as four touch-pad faders.

there's also a simple four-note bassline that uses a pair of window comparators to generate stereo pulse-width modulation, giving me a sort of stereo bass. but i'm not too happy with its sequence so i may replace it later.

i'll probably record it tomorrow, but won't release it until may b/c i already have something lined up for april and i've spent a lot of time learning to play the music from celeste

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i could also learn music theory and actually compose poo poo but :effort:

i think brian eno once said the thing about electronic music is that it requires no real skill on the part of the performer, but instead requires judgement

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
yeah i know, it's not like kurt went to berklee or anything. but it can be fun to learn anyway and can still be useful

going back to the celeste soundtrack, someone did a breakdown of its first track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOS3pW-zwQ

and it's just amazing how this poo poo works, like i'm some flatlander getting its first glimpse of the third dimension.

i think that's what's really drawn me into music as a hobby for the past four years -- there's so much stuff to learn you never get bored. especially today when bedroom producers have to do so much poo poo, from composition to sound design to recording to mixing and mastering.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah i extremely want a modular synth

best quick solution right now is vcv rack but a new version is dropping today or tomorrow so hold off before downloading

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

best quick solution right now is vcv rack but a new version is dropping today or tomorrow so hold off before downloading

New version just officially released. Includes a VST/AU bridge for other DAWs but midi is a clusterfuck right now

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i made a new album

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/album/disciples-of-euclid-pt-4

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
new album is out

had fun with some melodic structure called 'neo-riemannian transformations' this time which sounded like poo poo by themselves but turned out okay when ran through a quantizer after the fact

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
my first collab of sorts and "my" first music video, a piece of mine set to a super deep Mandelbrot zoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMt8wzztsng

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This dude here is my ASMR supplier and fixes a dry solder joint for a synth

https://youtu.be/tNw1tul4g2w

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm taking my first babby steps into electronics

I got Make: Electronics a couple years back as part of a humble bundle and am just starting the experiments

I bought a multimeter and a components kit for the first third or so of the book

So far I have tasted a 9v battery (it hurt more than it did when I was 4), shorted a AA battery (got it to 117 degrees Fahrenheit before disconnecting) and turned on an LED with a battery and resistor

It's good fam

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Indeed

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
tbf I don't think I want to make an out and out synth. I'd be happy with maybe a ring modulator from a kit to start but lmao I've never touched aa soldering iron in my life. Time to change that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

hifi posted:

don't buy this if you haven't already, it's a simple intro to electronics book through the lens of a small synth project. so while you build the thing on the cover that part is more of a cookbook and the knowledge portion is going to be covered in any other book excepting a chapter about the basics of sound synthesis (e.g, what is a lfo)

I already have it as part of the book bundle I bought. I'm already well familiar with how synthesis itself works, so I really am looking at this more from an 'intro to electronics' perspective.

The hard part is (a) I don't have a good way of making a wooden case like that and (b) Ray Wilson passed away a year or two ago.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I used a soldering iron for the first time today and made a little blinkenlights toy

it was fun and it somehow worked the first time. then I tried to breadboard it and not only had it wrong but shorted out my 9v battery, whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

netwerk23 posted:

The other consideration is it has to be friendly to my partner - if there's a problem I can't expect them to grep through VPN logs looking for a cypher failure.

DirectTV NOW works okay and I think it's like 30 bucks a month for the basic channels, which is a lot less than cable. They rolled out DVR capability on the iPad app recently but I haven't tried it yet and I suspect it sucks