Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
damnmnnmmmmm thats so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

spent a couple of hours getting refraction and basic diffuse transmission/reflection working, refraction isn't based on wavelength though.

what have you coded this in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

holy crap that's an amazing haul, good job

Got a hacked version of refraction working...

it's really obvious I need to actually read up about how light works cos the way I'm doing it isn't right at all. Right now I'm basically assuming hue = wavelength and using it as a modifier for the IOR, but hue and wavelength don't really map to each other. This is why both ends of the rainbows are bright purple rather than dying out to black at the red and blue ends like they should (I think?)

So instead I'm going to have to model lights as actually outputting a spectrum of colour, which is actually really easy, the tricky bit is going to be accumulating light of different wavelengths in a way that sort of matches perception. I'll leave that for later. The upside is it's easy to model surfaces the same way, have wavelength-specific scattering and absorption and accurately model lights of different types.

also seeing some artefacts, like the bands on the right edge of the prism, not really sure what that's down to

that’s so cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_equation

might find that a starting point idk. regardless I love it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realise the link I shared probably won’t help.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate I honestly love it so much. would love very much to play around with it some time in the future if you ever make it play around able

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

https://crimecommitter.com

crime committer might be the best idea I've ever had. after watuary at least. its definitely the best url I own

I have finished my professional development for the year, and while I have some real things I need to work on, including trying to get some appt to fix my brain, I need a side gig, and crime committer should be it

I am fairly happy with the idea, but scope creep hosed me up a bit because it was also the driving force behind me working on it. I would have an idea of what to add, and I felt motivated to do that thing. when I finally hit a point where I needed to polish it and add crimes, I failed. I even paid a dude $100 to write some funny poo poo to put in the website

this is the gameplay:

you start a crime. a crime takes a time. I didn't use a countdown or timer, I just calculated the time the crime would finish and store that in a cookie, and then constantly reference the current time vs the end time and when it was finished - and you could come back to th ecomputer and open a closed tab and if it was after the finish time then it would be ready, making it easy to encouarge players to come back day after day - you clicked and collected the rewards. some crimes are short enough they happen in front of you, some might be 20 mins, and some might be a few days

you got money, you got notoriety, and you may get an inventory item

some crimes cost money
for example the "mail order scam" costs $5 and returns you $37 and takes 20 minutes
and it occurred to me that you could use this to "buy" something, for example buying a thief kit, might cost $10 and take 5 seconds and you get the inventory item

some crimes require notoriety
this is the mechanism for climbing the ladder and moving to different locations. different parts of town that have crimes with higher and higher costs.
its the mechanism that prevents the player from doing every crime from the get go

some crimes require an inventory item
for example "skaeboarding" crime requires a skateboard. I tried to make this as an example of why someone might want to play more and more, because you need a skateboard to do this crime, but you need to do a crime in the second town to get a skateboard, and you need to commit a few crimes to get to that town.
this is also a mechanism that allows me to have some crimes have inventory pre-reqs. this is defo when scope creep started entering, and I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not. it's also where it borderline starting entering "adventure game" territory
you can click on an item and get an old school description of it

one thing that is a definite issue is that, being too close to the game, it was really obvious to me what everything is, but the design is not intuitive like I hoped. and I wasn't sure how to fix that. I had a bottom section that told the player what was going on, but it doesnt really stand out.

anyway, I definitely don't have the mental energy to fix it as is, and I'd have to restart, which means remembering all the code lessons I learned but have now forgotten. but I could probably get to an acceptable place quickly.

my exwife was just over. I showed it to her but she was unimpressed. who knows why I am writing this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's a good crime

one thing that kind of happened accidenally:

someone had shared with me a twitter account that posted lots of ridiculous but very real crimes, for example there was some law about transporting a walrus across state lines or some such

I used this as one of my crimes in an early edition, and some people kind of ran with the idea a bit, and gave all sorts of suggestions about different crimes I could add to the game. I mean it would kind of be cool if it was in some way capable of handling lots of crimes, although the purpose of which idk

anyway the suggestions were all pretty monkey cheese, which is not the direction I wanted to take the game. I want to include all sorts of crimes except for assault crimes. crimes I can make light hearted commentary about, but not crimes which in of themselves are comedic. its just not the vibe I had envisaged.

thats just a wee tale abot some behind the scenes stuff going on, since I have a crime committer twitter account and also a discord

PokeJoe posted:

It's a good game idea echi I love 2 do crime

same, and thanks. tbh I probably need to partner up with someone who has a different but compatible set of skills to me, in order to actually get it off the ground

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

idk just make some poo poo for you really. What's your real goal? Ive got more half finished projects than I could even remember but I still do finish the occasional thing. It's ok if you do something for fun and don't finish it because you don't enjoy the end. Do it until you get what you want out of the project. lots of people have no life projects at all so if you get something enjoyable of it, you're doing ok

its you joe, I want to finish it for you x

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 29, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

can you update the text for jaywalking to say “you can cross anywhere”

maybe I will do this

one of the driving forces behind why someone would want to progress in this game is that a successful crime will allow you to read the funny words

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you're looking for inspiration from a finished idle game check out 'universal paperclips'. you play as an artificial intelligence that's been tasked with making paper clips. it's really good

hmm thankyou. I am enjoying this. the price factor intrigues me

I was really inspired by dope wars, a game that like this paperclip game has selling involved. have not been certain how viable having "random" events like different selling prices would affect the game, in my mind it shoud be somewhat deterministic. I am now realising thats very dymb

I was watching a doco on cookie clicker last night and it was bumming me out, the realisation of just how poo poo my game was lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oo i’ll have to take a look at those, thanks for the write up

it reminds me that my prototype of crime committer that I made in unreal engine (overkill lol) had a function where you could hire criminals to do the crimes for you

hmm all of this is reigniting inspiration within me lol

one thing I need to solve is how to store game data in an xml file or some such. idk why it’s such a bitch lol

the entire game is stored in the javascript file available for anyone to see, I couldn’t work out how to put the game data in its own file so there’s just a huge function that holds it instead lol. I also couldn’t work out how to use anything like a dictionary, and I didn’t want the game to make assumptions about the data, so I sort of implemented this home-made dictionary thing where is cycles thru values making
comparisons and then passing indexes. the game is extremely inefficient, it resets the text on every button every frame lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh yeah the variable prices is more in the theme of being an ai and constantly trying to min max, which is what AIs do. there’s another aspect to it that may be inspirational- i don’t want to spoil it though, keep playing

I am staying at my gfs for two night so I am looking forward to how many clips I have when I get back. I bought the auto buyer for the machine which seems like the minimum that it won’t stall. heheheheh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you're looking for inspiration from a finished idle game check out 'universal paperclips'. you play as an artificial intelligence that's been tasked with making paper clips. it's really good

haha this game is great. and definitely good inspiration, much better than cookie clicker, and not as god drat confusing as ngu

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

That's part of the problem...every other game ive made ive played it all the time ive been building it and enjoyed them, but this one has taken so long to get to a point where the gameplay loop is complete that I've not really played it at all...and now its all working, its no fun :(

if it’s a game that relies on the novelty of the conversations etc then it might genuinely be difficult to have fun playing it if you already know any possible thing that might turn up :/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so are you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they’re perfect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I made this candle last year

bought all sorts of components and oils etc and had weird idea of making these candles

prickled candles was the brand. pointlessly crafted lol. i sold them in the pharmacy and I sold like 4 lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is a sign of success. fuckin' wrangling css to my needs drives me crazy but... it's largely there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have lots of funny ideas for crime committer like making it so a crime is a thing you are trying to do more or so you can have crime farms to farm crimes. i think about this but i don’t know how to implement it . it’s fun to think about tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

maybe one of your crimes could be hacking and you "hack" other people playing crime comitter and get credit for their crimes

yeah one of my great ideas is something like global leaderboard or some such

I have had some lofty dreams about this game

like, maybe it’s not an idle game maybe it’s like dope wars where you get thirty turns (one turn per day) and so you gotta come back day after day and end of each month someone wins and everyone reset

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
crime committer II now permits a crime to be commit

as always updates are live

but the ground for something us to be set

yes there are traditional times crimes

but sooner or later you will attract a sidekick. an individual whose passion for the crime is well it’s high and he brings a special skill which is that he encourages you to commit crimes the moment you’ve completed a crime. his enthusiasm makes for a sort of autocrime switch

the limitions if the code mean auto crime
restarting can only happen while window is on screen but the actual countdown timers will continue to count down while away

you start off with a cardboard for accomodation, but when you can afford a house you can then buy a computer and run all sorts of scams and eventually by a bitcoin rig

house allow for wardrobes and also garages.

i want to have labs to buy invest in lab gear. hire goons along the way to

I’m tempted to make my own thread so people can choose to ignore it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a large part of the game is going to be the hard hitting kneee slappers. it’s gonna be many buttons but in the end there will be “about” things to read about most things. it should be a laugh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
crime committer update :

it’s coming. almost everything is a button lol, the purpose being that half the game is that there are (going to be) unhinged rants about anything you can click on

also creating a system of unlocks, so that things unlock after time

javascript amazes me lol, some of the poo poo you create with it is truly unhinged but somehow also kinda works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how difficult or what would I need to make an adjustable lpf for the sub in my car

I want to put the sub back in and there were two things I'd love to have a knob for. one was an overall volume adjustment knob

and the other am adjustable low pass filter

the amp has a lpf, and I've noticed that for edm or whatever, I want to have it set higher to make the most of out having a sub

but for rock/metal, I want it lower, so it's not so boomy and messy

and extra question.. can these be done passively? I suppose it's a car so I have 12v to fiddle around with but

a small little module with two knobs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dont sign your posts you dumb poo poo mother fucker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thought you might be interested how I run my amp
for my sub. it runs down to 2ohm and it kicks rear end

but to get it into my house i had to use a
pc power supply coz i needed 12v: I has to do this

i soldered all the yellows into one and all the blacks into one and that was almost there but it also wasn’t enough to connect the two pins on the connector so it was always on, it would continually flick off and I found out the power supply has some thing where it needs a load to work so in the bottom left you can see a fat resistor cable tied to a heat sink

the fact that it hasn’t caught on fire is evidence of how well engineered it is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oooo thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna be able to take my moog minitaur portable

I believe it runs on 12v

I could go the motorcycle battery route, but I was wondering if there would be a solution that was as if the minitaur and the battery were one and you just plugged it in when at home and that allowed you to use ir and also charge the battery and when you unplugged it just carried on

like a UPS

maybe i’ve just answered my own question

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I was hoping for a less bulky solution, it’s an analog synth without a display, surely it doesn’t require huge amounts of current?

like, how doable is a 12v UPS style arrangement* but with a chunk of rechargeable AA cells?

idk the best way to describe but but like a laptop or whatever where it just runs regardless of being plugged in and it charges when plugged in and obv stops when it’s flat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and also tbf the synth wasn’t cheap I suppose I kinda wanna make sure whatever I do is safe for it. if it turns out it’s best to just create a battery power supply to use when I need to take it out and about and forget about having it be like a UPS then that’s no big deal I guess.

I suppose it’s advisable to have some kind of decent voltage regulator between a battery and a synth right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like a car battery charger?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realise now why its like 14.4 volts in a car, coz of the alternator generating more volts to charge the battery, but the battery itself is probably solid at 12v

tbh weights not a massive issue, just practicality really

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

use a high capacity usb-c power bank, so all the battery and charging nonsense are already handled in a way that won't set you on fire, and then use one of these to draw 12v from the power bank for your synth

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean the entire point of the exercise hinges on figuring out current draw * time = battery capacity. you can't just assume that. maybe it does suck a few amps, maybe it draws 50 milliamps. We can't tell you! But the sticker on the back would give a rough idea, and a DMM in line with the power adapter would tell you for sure.

I would just get a 12v external battery pack. Don't try to shove cells in the case

yeah if I can find a pre made solution that doesn’t cost the earth that’d be excellent. thanks for the hot tips

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

it's pretty fuckin handy, tbh. i've got a bunch of crap i'm putting together that's just powered off a 20amp hour usb-c powerbank

have you got any examples of the power bank? like how would I make sure I’m delivering 12v?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh right i’m an idiot, I just look for a 12v power bank

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I went to make something in unreal engine and they have deprecated the old way of getting input from the player or whatever and it feels much more complex and I don't want to watch an hour long youtube :qq:

I was briefly inspired to make a marble madness clone, albiet, probably one that sucked, but uses physics engine

ugh idk if I have the energy to work out the new system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely fuckkn sick