Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Progressive JPEG posted:

reminds me of a friend's late-90s oil computer somehow

im the psu

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my god

thats

i dont even know what to say

current project status:

yosbrowser looking at cjs

in it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

the braggart in me is tempted to post some of my own 3d modeling stuff now

last week i needed a quick demo of a model with moving parts for class, so in the 20 minutes before it started i made a working 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine

ladies

post it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://youtu.be/l8tDBg4pfYk :gowron:

I wish I was cool enough to write my own 3D engine in QBasic

neat

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

the (different) high school football coach that taught the non-college-prep senior history class deemed fridays his "tax days"; since he had to give 20% of his income to the government, he was taking back 20% of his work, as he turned on The Price Is Right and went back to the newspaper

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beast of Bourbon posted:

you know how you render bacon, can you render the thc out of weed and create super weed and then powderize it and put it in a snuff box?

it's not really rendering, it's extracting

imagine you're making coffee but the coffee is weed and the water is some other solvent

then you evaporate that solvent and you p. much have what you're talking about

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im making an android game

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ahmeni posted:

over the long weekend someone posted one of those Samsung photo frames with the "mini monitor" feature for $20 so I snagged it. I fuckin love these things. it's usb powered and the screen is updated by jamming a control code and a raw JPEG file down a usb character device. with a little fuckery I've been able to wrap it as a dummy SDL output and pull about 15fps on it which is about perfect for the animated weather display I'm building.

here's some basic poo poo I've done with the yahoo weather data:

yahoo is a piece of poo poo though, their api is some janky sql wannabe and they don't provide hourly reports. played around a bit last night with forecast.io which seems to be way more solid and will be my next fuckery

have you tried openweathermap?

http://openweathermap.org/examples

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i finished my android game

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrg.joe.spacelord2.android&hl=en

it's free, no ads

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im making a compass app w/ cities on it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im working on a phone game

my very cool placeholder art

with some better assets

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Spray paint some Styrofoam insulation sheets

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Doc Block posted:

After a 3 year hiatus, I'm making beer again. Gonna do 5 gallons of hefeweizen after work. :w00t: :homebrew:

i just bottled a ginger mead i made a few months ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

C.H.O.M.E posted:

making little metal boxes for storage bins.

put your dick in the brake

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Trig Discipline posted:

DAN CARLIN SAW MY THING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceItMiYZe9Y

19 minutes in

i've always considered myself to be flattering an a bit terrifying

lol holy poo poo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

tell me more

also is that an international thing or what? coz idk never heard of that happening here

really? i get telemarketer calls all the time from spoofed numbers. they frequently are MY phone number but off by one digit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stereotype posted:

I will literally never get tired of this picture

its the bent measuring tape that really gets me

he did this in a place called the great dismal swamp p sure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Dismal_Swamp

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

So I'm thinking about doing an idiot spare time project that tracks the airplane noise in my neighborhood.

I wanna get the cheapest possible decibel meter that will hold up to scrutiny (I don't wanna do a bunch of work and have the evidence discredited because its from some cheapo software solution with a computer mic). Ideally the decibel meter would be powered via the mains and have some kind of serial output so I can connect an arduino or something.

From there I plan on uploading the data to a web server that'll use one of those airline tracking APIs to try and match up what flight it was, and also pair it with the weather from the time of the sample. I think it could be really interesting to see how weather, altitude, speed and the type of aircraft affect what it sounds like on the ground (loud and annoying).

So anyway, I know how to do all the software stuff, but can someone recommend a decibel meter that would be appropriate? I googled around but only found hand held models that didn't seem to have any way of accessing their readings beyond some extremely hacky OCR solution. Used is fine.

got an old phone?

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4964639

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

the first project in my arduino-programming class is for the student to blink out their name in morse code using the onboard led. simple a decent introduction

this year i wrote myself a decoder that runs on a separate microcontroller, so i can just plug a wire into their board and see if they did it right by watching the serial output. the decoder automatically figures out the signal's timebase and synchronizes to it, which i'm pretty proud of

anyway here are the first couple

DANIEL gets an A

BRITTANK and WASON get Bs

?????????????? and ?A?????????? are gonna have to see me after class

my daughter is also named BRITTANK

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tell me more about pihole

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Awesome

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how do i read resistor bands?

i need to replace this little guy. how do you know which side to read from? i think the colors on this are brown, green, yellow, gray. or are they gray, yellow, green, brown. so either a 150k ohm or 8.4M ohm?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cool thanks :tipshat:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i bought a raspberry pi a few weeks ago to set up pi-hole and finally got around to doing it today. i didn't realize they didn't come with an operating system installed so i had to use an old phone and crappy android app to flash a micro sd with an installer. none of the images on the app would work so i had to let the installer download the OS, which took a while. then i set up vnc on it so i can just leave it plugged in next to my router and remote into it if i want to dick around. it took way longer to get this all set up than starting pi-hole itself. that was pretty much click button, block ads.

seems to be working ok. nice to block the ads in my apps.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

I bought a defunct power supply company's entire parts stock today for $0.01 to $0.02 on the dollar - not sure yet until I inventory.

literally a couple million components.

$200

hell yeah, nice haul

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what if he wanted to build a disease fogger???

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i saw your post on facebook of that article trig and sent it to a few friends, pretty cool :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i tried to replace the dead led in my vaporizer but i read the bands on the resistor wrong and it popped when i plugged it in :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

maybe I'll try again but I bought another resister that was supposed to be right and it popped too and then I gave up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

lol see the pvc piping? it’s gonna hang some fabric, essentially a curtain, so outsiders don’t see much. maybe this will end up looking too imposing. or maybe i’ll only do the front and not the sides. dunno yet. I still sound like garbage but focusing on things i can change instead

im the bird neti pot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

simply drill holes in the bottom of the pvc and use a fog machine to create a smoke curtain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Trig Discipline posted:

i just passed a major career milestone and made a thing to commemorate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMeXcut4laY

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

are there any raspberry pi type computer boards that are powered by ethernet? it doesn't need to be quite as fully featured, id rather it be cheap

e: hmm one of the usb zeros might be ok

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 1, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cool. I hope you give it a sick start up animation

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hell yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

animating a complicated logo is a lot harder than animating a bunch of lines, lol.

it wouldn't be hard to have it flicker a bit like a neon lamp starting up, or slowly rise out of the ground

make it do a sunrise and when it's fully up maybe add some burst lines

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hbag posted:

congratulations you got an error when submitting an invalid value to a thing that doesnt have a handler for invalid values

how many times do i need to say this

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application