Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

pshh
one day i was out hanging an antenna and I curved the throw a bit and threw a piece of 550 cord over a 4000 volt power line out back

i finished making GBS threads myself, then used a 10 foot dry pine stick to pull the rope off. no explodey
hmm, maybe it is possible for me to rope the top of the 30 foot tall tree that's touching both the home power lines and the 13kV transmission line and bring it down without killing myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I've been wanting to build an old retro-futuristic Art Deco radio with a modern interface, not quite Fallout style, but similar interface to the Pip Boy in a Philco-style case. I think it's going to be a desktop unit rather than floor standing because I just found my 5" CRT with full driver circuit and composite input thanks to a $3 off-brand karaoke machine at Goodwill. I'll see if I can manage to build an entire interface on a Raspberry Pi with rotary encoders that have clicky detents that looks decent on the old screen. Still debating speaker selection and whether I want to use a plasma tweeter for treble. Big thing is the display, I've done a bunch of little stuff but I'm not sure if I want to include flyback transformers in my first HV circuit.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I've been wanting to build an old retro-futuristic Art Deco radio with a modern interface, not quite Fallout style, but similar interface to the Pip Boy in a Philco-style case. I think it's going to be a desktop unit rather than floor standing because I just found my 5" CRT with full driver circuit and composite input thanks to a $3 off-brand karaoke machine at Goodwill. I'll see if I can manage to build an entire interface on a Raspberry Pi with rotary encoders that have clicky detents that looks decent on the old screen. Still debating speaker selection and whether I want to use a plasma tweeter for treble. Big thing is the display, I've done a bunch of little stuff but I'm not sure if I want to include flyback transformers in my first HV circuit.
For the sake of the thread title, I'd like to let you all know that I now live at a different address, have 4 Raspberry Pis, a couple of CRTs, and several cardboard boxes full of vacuum tubes. Doing awesome when it comes to speakers, though. I'll get around to it someday!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Midjack posted:

you're actually doing something with yours! many of us get an old box, play around with it for a few days to reminisce about what it was like when computers were still fun, and then realize it's actually pretty hard to do anything worthwhile or fun on it without an ecosystem of support for it, and then stick it in a corner or sell it on to someone else.
I'm still not exactly sure what my plan was with some of the Apollo program hardware I bought. Great, electronics that don't work. Can't bring myself to just toss them, though.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m sure some museum somewhere would exhibit it even if it’s just some random Apollo test equipment.

spankmeister posted:

you might want to get in touch with CuriousMarc, he restores old and rare computers and test equipment etc. with a couple of friends and they go way, way in-depth on it

https://youtube.com/c/CuriousMarc

he surely has a few contacts in the Apollo flight hardware scene, might know a good home for it and get a few interesting videos out of it, documenting it for everyone
I'll check with a friend at a local science museum, and the YouTube guy if the museum isn't interested.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I forgot to mention that they specifically restore Apollo hardware.
Thanks. The local place is space focused and has a Challenger Center, I'm going to check with them first since I did a bunch of volunteer and event work for them over the past 20 years.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m sure some museum somewhere would exhibit it even if it’s just some random Apollo test equipment.
Thanks again for the suggestion, I met with the exhibits coordinator this afternoon and apparently my name is going to be on a display case in their space history hall. I never thought of myself as someone who would have my name on a museum exhibit, but it turns out you don't have to be rich, just someone who has some interesting stuff. I'm really happy to know that this stuff is going to be on display for people to see and enjoy rather than sitting, boxed up, in a closet.

We also talked about upcoming exhibits and I'm also going to loan a whole bunch of my air and space stuff to them for an upcoming exhibit on the history of flight and spaceflight alongside what the company historian from Sikorsky loans them. We also talked about a potential future exhibit of space rocks (Mercury, Mars, Moon, 4-Vesta, and a couple more). I'm also now welcome to stop by whenever I want and see the exhibits or a planetarium show. Never though I'd be a VIP at a museum, but I guess I am now and it's a great place with a lot of community outreach and education programs at local schools (particularly in poor and disadvantaged areas) and I love the place.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Raluek posted:

have you tried one of the RF irons like a metcal? they make ground plane soldering way easier compared to the older wellers im used to (WTCPT, WES51) but ive never done big coax

you can score those irons pretty cheap if you're in the right place at the right time
I was going to mention this. If you solder coax more than occasionally, induction will make your life easier

echinopsis posted:

hmmmm

this is not as straight forward as I hoped.

is there something like a voltage gate.. like lets thru no more than 12v? because its likely this battery will supply enough voltage for as along as I need it, but I want to avoid damaging the synth
A buck/boost converter with good tolerances like the WG8-40S1203 (Sold as SparkFun COM-18376) might be what you're looking for. 8-40V input range with +/- 100mv output tolerance at 12V. It's 87-90% efficient so you're not losing much power. Assuming I'm reading the right data sheet for the battery, full discharge cycle won't take it below 10V, so that converter will be well within spec.

I agree with everyone saying use a lithium pack with regulated output, but if you want to go the lead battery route, that's what I would do.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This guy batteries.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hog Crankers issue report: Not on Android (yet?) and I'm missing the fun.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have a TI-99/4a HOME COMPUTER complete with no peripherals, the incredibly cursed Bill Cosby sales brochure, and a TI Invaders cartridge. Instead of throwing it in a box in a closet for another few years, I'll just offer it to anyone here who will do something with it for the cost of shipping (maybe $30?)

Any takers?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

My TI99 is the later cursed version that can’t run third-party cartridges. Is that one an early or late version? http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/computers/ti99qi.html
The one with the metal case, not the QI

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

you have a lot to learn about promoting websites and software projects, here, i'm helping you understand

If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting the same error messages.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PWM can get it pretty low, but I think there's always a noticeable gap between on and off because the gap between the valence and conduction bands is quantized.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rather than a field of research, think of ai as a text or spoken input, with the desired output being money from venture capitalists

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have a gutted BC Rich Warlock bass. Rather than just buying some pickups and knobs, give me suggestions for something better than just replacing the pickups and knobs.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

Build a mini amp into the bass

Kazinsal posted:

embed the circuit from a Metal Zone into it
I'm not sure what box it's in among all my electronics stuff, but I'm 95% sure I have a Metal Zone pedal just waiting for this kind of thing.Either it will fit or I'll have to clone it in a smaller footprint.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

echinopsis posted:

the idea is an idle game where you commit crimes and unlock bigger crimes

in this game, skateboarding is a crime
The first thing that comes to mind is the old DOS game Crime Fighter.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Can't wait to get a car so I can idle and stand in fire lanes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I absolutely cannot wait to play this game and commit crimes in it. It's 2:25AM here and I'm already tempted to go stand on the sidewalk in front of my apartment and loiter in anticipation.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

echinopsis posted:

thanks. hopefully the list ends up big. for whatever reason I really struggle to sit down and bust those out whereas I can look at bad code for hours
Follow this Twitter account
https://twitter.com/CrimeADay/status/1427829213957136385?t=40dgFEa08QTgc5K53hT-6w&s=19
https://twitter.com/CrimeADay/status/1484516171856683010?t=z8hQ0kmD5Yi_Se7wtPYYBg&s=19

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm an hour and 17 minutes from completing my first unlicensed walrus transport :neckbeard:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bug notes:

-despite committing the crime of "Stealing Walrus" several times, I only have one walrus in my inventory (which I am currently transporting without a license)
-after enhancing a scorpion, I have one enhanced scorpion in my inventory and no apparent way to obtain additional unenhanced scorpions
-"scorpion" is misspelled as "sporpion" in several places

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Just monitor and spritz in more water when necessary. Eventually gonna add an arduino controlled sprayer
i'm also planning an arduino-based watering system using these HiLetGo moisture sensors https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Moisture-Automatic-Watering-Arduino/dp/B01DKISKLO/

I'm busy job hunting at the moment, but I'll share whatever code and hardware schematic I come up with when it's working. If you get yours working before I do, I would appreciate you sharing yours unless you want to keep it private.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I bought 7 720p webcams for $4 with the vague idea of doing something like somehow waterproofing them and attaching them to various parts of my car. It seems like the consensus is that R.Pi's USB controller sucks rear end and I need to go with at least a really basic x86 system to get live and recorded video out of them.

Regardless of the answer to the above, are there any dash mounted HUDs that aren't terrible?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm loving sick of organizing cables so I'm building a machine to wrap, zip-tie or velcro wrap them, and throw them in a bin.

-As of now it's manual so you have to put the connector in the holder, wrap it around the pegs, and pull the trigger on the zip tie gun
Next steps include (not necessarily in this order will be among:
-automating the wrapping
-automating the zip tie gun
-Velcro option
-batch feeding cables and dumping or catapulting them into a bin, maybe even putting them on pegboard pegs

eventual plans:
-make an attachment to arrange and bundle cables so you can set it up to feed from pull boxes and tie it off however far apart you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I bought a Philco 46-1209 that "just needs a new power cord, maybe a tube or two." Now it's in line behind more things than one person could possibly remember that I promised my wife I would do before starting any new projects. I'm also going to learn to refurbish a typewriter with an Underwood No. 5 they were selling.

Olivil posted:

Bought a Dolch PAC 60 network sniffer that I will turn into a DOS gaming machine (not my picture).

I love those and regret having had to get rid of my Compaq Portable 486 network sniffer. It was the only computer I had that would still run Master of Magic, but we were in really bad financial circumstances after my mom was laid off and my dad died. I don't know whether it was resold, parted out, or the machine and cards were just melted down for the gold along with the bunch of gold cap processors I sold with it. I can't remember how much I got for it, but it was enough to catch up on the mortgage less than a week before the deadline for foreclosure.

echinopsis posted:

have you got any examples of the power bank? like how would I make sure I’m delivering 12v?
Extremely simple answer: The Minitaur draws 7W at 12V. Stick a 14.8V, 5000mAh R/C car battery in a box with a WG8-40S12 wired to the output. The WG8-40S12 is a DC-DC buck/boost converter that will take anything from 8-40V with enough current and output 12V/3A with a 100mV tolerance. If you want to get fancy, you can add a hot swap plate and a second battery slot, but that's going to bump your cost up to over half of what the synth cost in the first place.