Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

this is a wooden box that I'm building with a big fuckoff deep cycle marine battery

inverter to give a small amount of ac power, 400 watts sustained
also has a combination boost/buck constant voltage power supply so that no matter how discharged the battery becomes it should give a constant 12v (within reason, not more than a couple of amps) to power some LED strips

the outlets are weather resistant and installed in an in-use outlet box

the white-ish box in the lower right hand corner is a PWM controller attached to the constant voltage power supply so that the LED strands can be easily dimmed

i also have two 12v marine/water resistant outlets for whatever

and lastly a couple of these

basically this is a self contained power center for when i go camping at music festivals and poo poo, plenty of juice to charge phones/whatever, run basic AC appliances (mostly a small logitech speaker setup for campsite music) and dedicated 12v for my led strands for campsite lighting

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

needs a u-lock and a big fuckoff chain to the nearest tree

e: maybe some piss proof paint

already done

it will be varnished to keep it waterproof

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

ya i was gonna say, you might be better suited by an AGM battery instead of the 31HC commercial battery next time if you do 'deep cycle' that one to death. i figure that one in there has what, 180-190 minutes reserve capacity? so 75Ah @ 20 hrs ish capacity? where you can get a AGM of the same size (bci group 31) with >120Ah capacity at the expense of Cold Cranking Amps (Which i figure your box doesn't need massive bursts of power like starting boat motors.) ((And the expense of dollars cuz it will cost a bit more)

i'd for sure throw one of these > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B689UGA/ < mounted on the box somewhere next to a pushbutton to close its circuit direct to the battery so you can check that you're not getting beneath like 11.8v

noice

the battery was cheap as hell from a junk yard and is only about 80% original capacity but when I do switch it out I'll grab an agm

normally yes cca is unimportant, we did jump a camping neighbors car with our battery last year but we could have just as easily done that with my actual vehicle while running

And yeah I do have an indicator to check the battery status, just not installed/visible in the pictures yet

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its finished but i don't have pics

v2 will happen soon, smaller box leaving more room for the cooler portion, waterproof box to put your phone in with a charger

power is a 8Ah SLA battery, speakers an amp are marine grade

lasts an entire river trip and keeps my beer cold!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

festival box update, decided to name it the "juice box". girlfriend approves

bluetooth receiver to make the campsite speakers wireless, headphone jack and 12v jack for the light strands
wired a pot up to a PWM circuit to control brightness

just did the first coat of primer, probably will do another coat and then attach the lid

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

that seems unlikely

off gassing is minimal when discharging unless you've got a pretty beefy load

charging is more of an issue but the lid will be open when charging so it'll just vent into the air

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

nah just a couple of large handles

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I mean it basically gets sat on a table and doesn't move all weekend so who cares

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

fair enough i guess, i'd still just put a pair of pegs and a pair of rolly casters on the rear end end of it but your prerogative

but i dont even recall - you don't seem to even have a charger in there - are you planning to just use it up and then charge back at home or ? cuz i am not sure you'll get a weekend of that box without some intermediate charging

I did it last year with a slightly smaller battery and it lasted the whole weekend with enough juice to jump start a camping neighbors car

if needed I'll start my car and hook it up with jumper cables to get some charge in it but long term I'm thinking about getting a 100w solar panel

it's not like it's being used all day. you get up, listen to some music for an hour or two while you make breakfast and the same when you get back and make dinner. plus some phone charging.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 30, 2015

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

build a nockoff openROV and then sell it to me so i can explore whats left of austin's hosed up lakes without having to look up from a laptop screen ever

its more like pond travis now

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

festival box update

decided to add a way to charge the battery on the go

i needed a way to easily connect the panel to the charger located inside, something that could carry plenty of current, was waterproof, and wouldn't come out accidentally

decided on a trolling motor plug, they're marine (obviously), turn to lock, and are rated for 30 amps. way more than the 8 or so ill be getting out of the panel

also added some fuses, the wiring looks like rear end but I'm going to redo it all with 10 gauge anyway

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

haha thats the exact same $170 amazon 100w monocrystalline kit that i got

hope it works well for ya, im hoping it does well for my poo poo like field day etc

i was getting 20-21v with no load, closer to 18 under load

it works as far as i can tell, ill hook up the multi meter and measure the output later this week and see what i can expect in terms of real world output

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

i posted a pic dump in the ham thread of mine just a few days ago

just a lean-to against a patio window and it making the charger hooked up

nice

too bad i don't live in nj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-Cart-B...=item33a0bcb672

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

what about a core charge?

assuming they haven't been repeatedly discharged i doubt theres anything wrong with them in terms of the internals

ultimately ill be replacing this old junk yard battery with a sla or an agm like we talked about a while back, depending on what can be found

what sucks is that all of my sla batteries tend to come from goodwill in the form of donated ups' and now that I've moved to bumfuck, virginia i haven't found any in a while

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbCA8RZqeqk

poo poo like this, why can't i work somewhere where they're like "oh yeah you want 1000ah worth of batteries? 40 bucks"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 14, 2015

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so I've already begun version 2 of the festival box even though the first one isn't done yet

I've picked up a bunch of dead SLA batteries and refilled them and tested them to see if they will hold a charge

gonna stick them in one of these

id 3d print a layer/enclosure for the circuitry but i don't have a 3d printer, so fiberglass it is

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

any of you spare time project people have 3d printer recommendations? prefer something that isn't kickstarter vaporware

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

nah still hosed

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

taman shud

http://imgur.com/gallery/EzTSu

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo

so, looks like it really pays off to use SMT components when doing oshpark stuff. like, board space is expensive

fortunately I'm whipping up what appear to be rather efficient dual-layer pcbs, just messing around and learning

I'm looking at making an auto battery cutoff meter, what program are you using? eagle? what libraries are you using for your parts?

its really ridiculous how expensive the things are, 40-60 bucks depending on where you look

i can build one with a comparator, a couple of resistors, a transistor and a relay for like $10

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 3, 2015

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

any circuit wizards willing to give me some advice?

I'm looking to create a battery shutoff switch, using the MAX917 as a comparator and a relay that can handle about 50 amps

i found this online, which seems like a good place to start, but the transistor used obviously can't handle the kind of current i need, can i drive a relay directly with the output from the MAX917? should i drive a transistor from the output from the 917 and then use that transistor to switch the relay?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

well it depends on the relay. but I'm guessing that's probably not going to be enough. I'll just use a transistor to switch the power for the relay coil

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah yeah, i guess my question really is "does this seem completely stupid and the wrong way to do this"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i did see some of those when i was searching mouser

the downside is going to be the package size, to-220 isn't exactly tiny. not to mention using 4 of them

cost could also matter, if i can use a 50 cent transistor and a 5 dollar relay, i might rather do that instead of 4 x $3 transistors

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_DS_V23201-X0000-A001_0212_201_0212-540298.pdf

800mA coil current, prob a bit much for that little max917!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

nice job battery box bro

I'm actually about to make v2 which is gonna be a lot like you have, i was planning on using 2x 35aH U1 also but wasn't sure which size battery box to get. think i may go group 31

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOX2OKS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i mean, just by looking at the dimensions I'm 99% sure that group 31 will fit but yeah ill have to wait until it actually starts coming together

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah it's a real shame that battery tech is still ancient

I try and buy any old sla batteries I can find from busted ups' and stuff

lots of them just need some distiller water or electrolyte

some others just need a few days on a high voltage high frequency desulfator. so far I've only had one totally dead battery that was shorted internally and one with a marginal cell

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

p.s. it wont, i just got a 31 box out of curiousity and nope

too narrow for the width of the U1s sideways, too short to put them end to end.

where'd you go to find one locally?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

from amazon, i ordered it a few days ago.

ALSO

i suppose this is the thread and relevant place to post this, not in the ham thread....:

THIS SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER OWNS

click for link

getting over twice the power out of my solar panels during cloudier shittier sunlight, compared to the PWM piece of poo poo that they practically give away free. and that was before it immediately went to float since my batts were full.

gonna try again tomorrow after i drain these down a bit tonight, but yeah, worth it.

yeah, i wanted to get an mppt controller for mine, but they're just so drat expensive

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

dude i have not found a single thing yet, and i googled hard. like a wheelchair parts store notes it as an optino of a custom made part

you have any luck for a premade plastic box for dual U1?

haven't done any work on it recently. my next guess would be to hit up Walmart and find a plastic storage container that's about the right dimensions

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

there's not a lot to arc welders. if it's got a variac in there you can always rip it apart and upgrade the transformer or rectifier with something a bit more appropriate

granted this is coming from a guy who's arc welder is a couple of rewound microwave transformers in a wooden box

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

juice box in action. dj set up in the middle of a field

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mido posted:

those speakers lmao

unfortunately the 1000 watt pole mount speakers would probably kill the battery in about 5 minutes

it works well enough for the size of the camp site

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

after four days with it being pretty cloudy for two. the percentage is a little misleading because there is no load on the battery but still not bad

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Doc Block posted:

quoted just so i can see what this is

sorry. I'm on mobile. poo poo doesn't scale properly

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

re: my dumb battery box

ugh i hate doing gross lovely work but this hole was just too small to easily cut out so i really just bodged it to get it done since i dont have any elegant way to do a small rectangular hole this size

i guess it will have to work

the rocker is flush as it can be, its just got a small gap on top, ugly ugly ugly

for poo poo like this I take my calipers and measure the exact size for the hole and then make a jig that's the size of the thing to be cut plus the size of the hole

set your piece in the jig and then trim it out using a router table

granted it's easier if it's a flat item

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so. group u1 battery storage

http://i.imgur.com/L4Rpgb5l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jxo9Qqql.jpg

they were also replacing all of the emergency lights and their batteries while I was at Walmart.

they would not let me take them

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

this guy bought an ARF immersionrc vortex for $450 and put an orangerx on it lol

this is so dumb. why make something like this to sell and then not include a receiver? but apparently it does come with a controller? what

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hey circuit wizards

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fujitsu/FBR53ND10-Y-HW/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtGt%252bn33CgIPzn1WXaKo2DVuYyDHZxc2Wg%3d

I'm doing a thing with a relay, how the hell can i carry 30 amps on a pcb? why is there not a relay with through hole mounting for the signal and screw terminals/spade terminals/whatever for the load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bloody posted:

he may be cool but i'd rather be dead than listen to him talk for more than a minute

its like a caricature of an austrailian person

i expect him to talk about putting shrimp on a barbie and how much he hates abbos

but yeah his videos are really cool, the video on op amps finally helped me understand them because he uses plain english and then slow starts introducing more and more technical terms and aspects rather than just dumping it on you