Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you should just take music dictation classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Doc Block posted:

game development is supposed to be fun.

from what i;ve read about game studios this is a lie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well im not doing anything as fancy as echopenis but recently a friend and i decided to make a roguelike (this time we'll really finish it! i promise!) and i've been writing a 2d game engine from scratch using webgl for it. there's no particular reason to be doing this other than 1. it's fun 2. i'm learning a lot along the way 3. i wanted to write a game in elm using functional reactive programming and no game engines exist in elm yet.

last night i figured out how to implement sprite sheets in my fragment shader

here's my current main game screen:

and here's the beginnings of a text rendering engine, again based on sprite sheets rather than canvas text rendering for some reason:

i'm too lazy to actually create a sprite sheet though so for now i'm just stealing this one: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Sir_Henry%27s_32x32.png

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

how do real engines do text rendering, anyway?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

text rendering coming along http://deadfoxygrandpa.github.io/Roguelike/yospos.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have an r7 265 and it seems fine. it was significantly cheaper than anything comparable from nvidia when i bought it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

steve is dead, lol

:newlol:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

alex underrepresented, 0/5

my name is alex

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:eyepop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BONGHITZ posted:

i think headphones have the best audio quality

please dont troll

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

its definitely easier to get good quality sound with headphones compared to other for X amount of money for sure

yeah if you have like $100 then you'll get better audio quality out of headphones than you will out of a $100 speaker system. headphones stop getting much better pretty soon though, and speakers are barely getting started. plus with headphones you dont need to worry about stuff like the acoustics of the room you're sitting in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i decided to take a break from other stuff and make a real game: http://deadfoxygrandpa.github.io/Beer/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raluek posted:

you should limit your beer in glass to 4 sig figs

yeah youre right

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

1) i drank 10 beers in 1h20 but did not vomit, please add this feature
2) i reached a BAC of 0.41 but did not die, please add this feature as well
3) why can't i urinate while i am passed out

1) i havent added vomiting yet
2) you actually can die and pass out, but people can and have survived past 0.41 bac. you have a randomly generated alcohol tolerance that's indicated by your social drinker/heavy drinker/alcoholic "stat"
3) idk, i should probably make you involuntarialy urinate in that situation?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what would be a good model for vomiting? i tried to "realistically" model everything else, to the point where if i input my height, weight, and sex i should be able to play this game along with me irl drinking and get a reasonable approximation of real life.

what actually triggers vomiting? i guess it's partly related to how drunk you are, and how full your stomach is, anything else?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cool thanks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

use l systems

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rip echopenis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

it's his fifth ban, i imagine he'll be back

lol @ banning someone for nws in yospos though. how the hell is anything in yos pos safe for work. where would you have to work for that to be true, the...stupid computer...factory?

im browsing yospos at work right now. i feel safer already now that echinopsis is banned.