Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ol qwerty bastard posted:

no i definitely want to hear what parts of my plan aren't realistic, so it's good to know

what about standalone 3-axis accelerometer modules? or are these super expensive or something.

also if the dead reckoning navigation is good enough then you could probably get away with only turning on the gps every once in a while for course corrections, although this would probably only work if there's a negligible amount of wind. re: battery life, i'd like to have the phone or whatever running off the plane's battery where it'd be a small draw compared to the motor and servos anyway. i just thought it'd be easier to have all the avionics in a single package. but idk really about this sort of thing

Autopilot packages are stupid cheap and good now. $300 gets you an ardupilot with GPS and a 900mhz 2-way telemetry kit that can do either fixed wing or multi rotor copter flight, you just plug your servos in and fly. If you bought one 18 months ago you might as well throw it out and get a new one since they're evolving so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sniep posted:

bam...

and its rainy/partyly cloudy out to boot, this was a light bit of sunshine peeking down thru the clouds

i cant wait to see what it does when its like FULL ON 2PM rear end SUNSHINE

what's the cost differential to go with an LFP setup? I like the idea of lugging a 7-pound kit into the great outdoors instead of 30 but if it's new-radio levels of cost then we have a problem

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I embarked on a project to modernize the 30 GB iPod Video I picked up from the E-Waste recycling facility.

I picked up an adapter board that throws 4 MicroSD cards into a JBOD configuration, a 2000 mAH battery upgrade, and 4 128 GB Micro Center MicroSD cards ($30/ea).

Turns out that the 30 GB model only has enough RAM to support 20,000 songs when synced from iTunes (they didn't have the model with 50k song capacity lying around), so I installed RockBox. Shockingly, an open-source MP3 player firmware hack was buggy as poo poo and couldn't get through 5 songs before skipping around.

I swapped the dumpster NAND for 3x64 Samsung cards and restored it from iTunes and it has yet to have the battery visibly drain at all. Next step is to pair it with an iPod Hi-Fi

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
so at maker faire I met the guys who run pcb:ng and they're right in my backyard. They'll do short manufacturing runs of PCBs AND do SMT assembly (no thru-hole components or BGAs, and the only solder mask color is blood red :colbert:), and their software will do DFM analysis on your board to point out where you hosed up automatically. Upload your gerbers and your BOM with digi-key part numbers and they'll do it in 12 calendar days. The founder said that their goal is to do manufacturing at the same price breaks you get at 10x the volume (e.g. they'll charge for 10 units what others would charge at 100).

At this point one of their biggest problems is that electricity is so expensive, and they're spending like $10,000 a week on power for the reflow ovens

quick someone tell me something to make so I have an excuse to learn PCB layout and bring something into being

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I have their even cheaper $200 printer and considering I knew that I would not use it as much come winter time, it's been good enough for the price. that being said you definitely get what you pay for and you'll want to budget another $40-60 for a better hot end that can print cooler materials/not clog solid after a month

If you actually want to get into it as a serious hobby then save up for a Prusa so you can do things like quad-filament which is mad cool

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
What's the YOSPOS opinion on Particle? My friend to see if I can build them a display that shows the temperature of their still that's in another building down the road (bonus for having the display be Nixie tubes), and I'd prefer just offloading the transport onto someone.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
rad because I possibly have a more pressing need: they're gonna revoke the access code to the building because lol everyone was giving it out and whoops my apartment key doesn't unlock the lobby and I can't get a call back from the super, so I may have to start soldering stuff to the intercom.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
welp. the Kindle DX I picked up to gently caress around with doesn't have wifi, because in 2011 it was somehow easier to put a CDMA chipset into a device than an 802.11g chipset.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I finally got around to building My First Electronic Thing: a gift for my friend: an analog gauge for the bar he works at which indicates how hot he's coming in that day - he receives a text the days he's working, he replies and it displays the result (which decays over several hours). I used a Particle Photon because I value the ability to remotely fix things in a low-effort manner above pretty much all else and I'm fairly happy so far.

Since I'm not some scrub who's going to tape a breadboard inside of a project box, what's the YOSPOS-approved PCB layout app?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sagebrush posted:

oh, and the custom full-size OLEDs finally arrived (see pic). i haven't hooked them up yet but they use the same controller as the testing display so it shouldn't be an issue.

:toot:

woah where/how did you source a custom OLED display, and what was the minimum order quantity?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I bought a G4 Cube on eBay and it came with matching 15" Cinema Display and USB Speakers and this is a goddamn treasure.

It's missing a housing screw so the cap touch sensor doesn't make solid contact with the enclosure and will randomly think someone is pressing the power button. Unplugged it for now because I can just use the power button on the screen to turn it on as this is a pro computer.
It was clearly bought by a Dad for his child to use because the iTunes library is filled with horribly tagged Avenged Sevenfold and Yellowcard, and they just created a new user when the shipped it out instead of actually erasing it. I'm torn between keeping it as-is to serve as a monument to 2003 or chucking RAM and an SSD in there

As a bonus, some incredible soul has written a driver so you can plug the USB speakers into a modern Mac
https://github.com/jeanthom/TrinityEnabler

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Raluek posted:

jealous. do those still go for multiple hundreds of dollars?

someday i will have one and my ppc dream will be complete :allears:

I got one in pretty-good condition for $150 that included the 17" LCD (stand broke off in shipping) and what appeared to be a 16-year old's music collection circa 2004.
it doesn't have the upgraded GPU so no 22" Cinema Display, but the 20" models can be had for surprisingly cheap on eBay.

My buddy just found his old Digital8 camcorder so the new plan is to throw an SSD in there, load up FCP 4, and start editing things like it's the early 2000's. I'm considering picking up a PD-150/170 or Canon GL2 and a DV Deck to build the canonical indie video editing setup.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jonny 290 posted:

if you spun up a twitter bot that autoposted these, it would get HELLA followers this week. amazing work

yo pro tip:

NOAA has a satellite data feed you can point a dish at and downlink a 60+ megabit firehose of weather data

you can live in a cabin in the woods that has no real link out but you can have better weather data than a TV station

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I got my new desk and it's 'oiled butcher block' which is cool but the finish absolutely is not even on this and I want to get that fixed.

What's the preferred sandpaper and oil combo to tackle this?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my friend just texted me saying that they bought a stack of solar panels from some dude in Santa Rosa who buys them off of bankrupt warehouses and now wants me to help build an air conditioning rig for their short bus in order to hang out in comfort at Burning Man.

Current plan is to grab the pack out of a wrecked Nissan Leaf for like $2k and figure out the battery management system from there. Extremely psyched for this project.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
does anyone have recommendations for t-shirt printing shops that give absolutely no fucks about trademarks? I need like 5 extremely stupid bootleg shirts printed up for an event and lol @ the idea I can get anyone from the first 2 pages of Google result for "t-shirt printing" to do a run of Trump x Yankees x Iraq War garments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sagebrush posted:

i don't like that big speedometer font. i can't quite find anything that looks exactly as i picture it in my head, so i'll probably end up making my own

use the Airbus font so you can pretend you're driving an A350