Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Welcome to the new but probably not improved Championship thread.

Here is a lovely list of all of the teams, their locations and stadiums:

And here is a link to a map displaying all of the teams and telling you how far Brighton have to travel to visit everyone

The relegated teams

Wigan, QPR and Reading were all relegated for being poo poo, but are all predicted to be near the top of the table come the end of the season. QPR have managed to hold on to England's finest manager Harry Redknapp, while recruiting former England manager Steve McClaren as a ballboy. Reading have seen massive investment off the pitch from their Russian billionaire owner and have managed to (so far) hold on to their best players. Wigan however have lost Roberto Martinez to Everton and replacement Owen Coyle will face Manchester United in the Community Shield in a proverbial baptism of fire.

It would be no massive shock if any of these three go up, but equally so if any of them are 18th come November P45s will probably be in the post.

The promoted teams

Doncaster Rovers finished as champions and hosed Brentford over in one of the most memorable season finishers in recent years. Bournemouth won promotion the week before but lost the title thanks to a goalless draw and Donny's injury-time winner. Yeovil Town completed the sensational loving of Breantford by beating them in the playoff final to win their first ever season in the second flight. Yeovil averaged a gate of 4,071 last season. Yeovil are expected to have some issues adjusting to their new surroundings, but Doncaster and Bournemouth are generally expected not to poo poo the bed.

Opening weekend

As part of the 150th celebration of the FA, Burnley v Bolton Wanderers and Derby County v Blackburn Rovers will play on the opening weekend.

Bolton and Burnley will meet at Turf Moor, one of only three grounds used in the 1888/89 season that is still in use today. The two clubs have met each other on 114 occasions since league football began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Boo I was going to make this thread I was going to call it "Everyone loves Wes Morgan: The All-Purpose 13/14 Championship Thread"

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

It's good to see Donny back. :) Yeovil, what the actual gently caress is going on with your crest? Actually, I don't care, I like it anyway.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The Leeds United Red Bulls are going to win the league, but I also hope the promoted teams do well and QPR get relegated.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I hope we all have a rubbish boring season. Wigan will win it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeovil are going to smash everyone thanks to Irish footballing sensation and League One superstar Paddy Madden.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

We've got Bristol City away tonight and Swansea at home on Sat to finish our friendlies off.

People who've seen the senior side and U21s playing have all said we now play a fast, short passing game. Adkins strikes again.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Wigan won't finish in the play offs as long as coyle is the manager, Reading will probably win. Watford will come a close second and QPR will get relegated.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Nigel Adkins, eugh.

Brighton will tiki taka teams into submission this Season and Yeovil will get relegated. I can see Bournemouth staying up though as Howe is A Good Manager.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Even more B's this year.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

We lost 1-0 to Bristol City last night. In other news:

Apparently Kate is a Royals fan so we had a baby kit delivered to them yesterday. I get the feeling someone in marketing has been counting down the past 9 months.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think Villa also had a babby kit made, Will is a Villa fan isn't he?

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

He is. Bet the kid ends up supporting Man City.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I'm going to miss The Sex Ghosts posts about Ken Bates now that he's finished at Leeds.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

its a happy day for all

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I really loving love Yeovil and I don't know why. Also my dad is properly pissed about all the coverage Brighton and Bournemouth are getting on the local news (at the expense of Saints, who have done/are doing absolutely nothing atm) so I hope they do well to annoy him further.

Football is nearly back :woop:

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

TelekineticBear! posted:

its a happy day for all

its a pretty great way to start the season. i wonder if he's going to try to get his claws into another team now, or just quietly sod off and die.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

EvilHawk posted:

I really loving love Yeovil and I don't know why.
Perhaps you're a repressed helicopter fanatic? It's the town's only noteworthy contribution to the world.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 26, 2013

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
What ended up forcing Bates out?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

trem_two posted:

What ended up forcing Bates out?

I believe it was sunlight and garlic

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hmm seems like Emnes has rediscovered his confidence.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm seems like Emnes has rediscovered his confidence.

Still not looking forward to the new season though. The first team is okish but the squad is paper thin. To make things worse there are rumours that Steele is on his way to one of the North West clubs.Really we need at least one or two more strikers a creative midfielder and a central defender to replace Jonathan "sicknote" Woodgate.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
I hope Jordan Rhodes scores all the goals and Diouf spits on at least three (3) people.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/ken-bates-sacked-leeds-jet?CMP=twt_gu posted:

Ken Bates says he was abruptly sacked from his tenure as the Leeds United president by the new owners, GFH, after he entered the club into a contract with the private aeroplane company 247 Jet that could be used to fly him to Leeds from his Monaco home.

The cost of this contract to which Bates committed the Championship club, which is under financial strain, is thought to be £500,000 over three years.

What a twat.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Pipski posted:

What a twat.

That article actually gives a pretty good account of his financial dealings with the club, it's worth a read.

Link for the lazy: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/ken-bates-leeds

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

Still not looking forward to the new season though. The first team is okish but the squad is paper thin. To make things worse there are rumours that Steele is on his way to one of the North West clubs.Really we need at least one or two more strikers a creative midfielder and a central defender to replace Jonathan "sicknote" Woodgate.

Yeah I can see Turnbull replacing Steele if he goes. I heard rumours that there was going to be a big clear out of all the players who got the hump with Mowbray last season and stopped playing for him. Did that happen? Can we expect the same form from the first half of 2013 once the season starts?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah this is the least optimistic i've felt going into a new season since relegation.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A Reading player still hasn't scored at the Madstad since 2nd Feb. Hopefully it's part of a masterplan to lull the rest of the Championship in to complacency...

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I hope Birmingham get promoted just so we can play them again, to spice up villa's inevitable mid-bottom table run in the upcoming season, west brom is always a tasty fixture but nothing compared to blues.

Best would be if they come second so they don't get the playoff trophy or win the league.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I hope the Reading Royals win all of their games and win the league

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Very happy Diouf is out, must be rare that a club benefits the match after a player getting sent off against them.

Bryam is apparently 'injured' as well.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Its a genuine injury

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Charlie Austin went to QPR, so Reading fans are going mental that we're lacking in strikers and demanding the club spend some money.

Pretty sure most champ sides would be happy with Pogrebnyak and Le Fondre *shrug*

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

we've signed a one direction member as a player today

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

thehappyprince posted:

we've signed a one direction member as a player today

Dubious signing, but even if he never pans out, he'll make up for it in shirt sales IMO.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I forget, do we have any Venky's supporters here? We've loaned Tom Cairney to Blackburn and was hoping there would be someone to let me know how he does.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Overminty posted:

I forget, do we have any Venky's supporters here? We've loaned Tom Cairney to Blackburn and was hoping there would be someone to let me know how he does.

I am all about the Venky's.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Overminty posted:

As a Bolton fan, I'm a great fan of the Venkys! Not so much the team they ruin own though...

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

real footballs back lads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
gently caress Leeds

• Locked thread