Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

sportsgenius86 did you listen to his F4W interview Mike rhymed off a fairly impressive list of stats about the increase in interest/brand awareness in CHIKARA since the hiatus: Twitter and Youtube followers going through the roof and such like. Also as already stated their return show has sold out without a match announced. You are making statements without looking at the numbers. To claim no gain is silly at this early stage at least.

Fair enough, but I would be shocked if it wasn't just Chikara followers subscribing to get information. I think he's done a great job rallying the people who already care about Chikara. I just don't know that it's done anything at all to bring a new audience.

The show selling out isn't that telling to me because Chikara has been off for so long that you've got people who would typically just wait for a show closer to them willing to travel farther in this instance because it's been so long since they've seen one.

I think he's ignited the existing fan base more so than brought about any type of gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

rovert posted:

sportsgenius86 did you listen to his F4W interview Mike rhymed off a fairly impressive list of stats about the increase in interest/brand awareness in CHIKARA since the hiatus: Twitter and Youtube followers going through the roof and such like.

Just curious, what kind of numbers was he throwing around?

I put ChikaraPro into http://twittercounter.com (no idea if it's a legit site) and it says in the past 3 months ChikaraPro has gone from 27,565 followers to 27,765

Not exactly an explosion of interest

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I honestly think that the shut down story has alienated some fans, it has created a lot of buzz for CHIKARA more than it did before it shut down. Maybe Quack feels like "you don't know how much you want something until its gone and you can't have it" is a way to draw people in more than ever. It seems to be working for at least one show. I kinda get what Quack is doing, and I respect him for doing what he wants to do. If he doesn't care about making money, that's cool cause it doesn't effect me at all. I am amazed at how more people aren't walking away from working for him since I imagine paying wrestlers very little is probably one way he cuts costs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the shutdown idea is dumb from a business point of view, but I can't help but be interested at the return show.

I hope Robbie Ellis is there.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

coconono posted:

I thought the shutdown idea is dumb from a business point of view, but I can't help but be interested at the return show.

I hope Robbie Ellis is there.

I hope Robbie Ellis shows up as the Swamp Monster is getting beat down so he can scream at everyone to get off his lawn.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Whatever's going on with the Titor business, they're just resting the story because that Ashes video with Archie's chart showed a handful of things regarding them, including someone called "the Titan of Titor." My guess is that Eddie Kingston is going to represent the company, based on a few things:

- On Wink's Twitter, he said that Titor originally bought Chikara for the sake of turning their wrestlers into their soldiers. He said they had their eye on Kingston especially, but Wink hated having to deal with him.

- The Condor guys did protect Kingston's championship reign at the end of that iPPV, so that might mean something to him.

- Kingston told Icarus that he wanted nothing to do with rallying for Chikara to come back because it doesn't pay his bills.

- Titor was going to auction off the Grand Championship belt, but then took it down. In his lone Ashes appearance, Kingston revealed that he still has it.

- Kingston became really irritable about the growing support for a Chikara return to the point that he assaulted the same fan that Condor Security kidnapped.

I figure he no longer has any loyalty to Chikara due to the fans turning against him after all he's done, but Titor believes in him and is willing to pay him top dollar, so he'll do their dirty work.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
That would make sense if Titor still owned Chikara and needed wrestlers loyal to them. I can see Kingston turning heel, but why align himself with a known scummy company that no longer has a controlling stake in the promotion?

As far as "Ashes" stirring interest in Chikara, I have to agree that it probably only generated buzz among Chikara fans. And if Quack just wants to keep those fans, that's fine, but it can hardly go onto podcasts and claim to be leading a revolution in pro-wrestling if he's only going to focus on the audience he's already secured. I'd be willing to bet that for every local fan who was "in" on what was going on, there were five more not on his mailing list who had no clue what was going on, and that any increases on Twitter and Youtube surrounding Chikara were about confused fans trying to make sense of what was going on rather than people intrigued by (much less enjoying) whatever "Ashes" was

LanceBurrito
Jan 6, 2013

quote:

chikarapro ‏@chikarapro 5m
While they last, we just added a whole big batch o' seats to the show floor! No plans on 5.25.14? You got plans now.

Kinda like KOT, I suppose.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The official site is now offering a recap of events:
http://www.chikarapro.com/part-one.php

Welcomely succinct compared to how it could be written.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Panama Red posted:

That would make sense if Titor still owned Chikara and needed wrestlers loyal to them. I can see Kingston turning heel, but why align himself with a known scummy company that no longer has a controlling stake in the promotion?

Hell if I know. I just know that they're still going to be a thing somewhere down the line and if they are, then it makes the most sense that Eddie Kingston would be the Titan of Titor instead of some new green guy that we're supposed to take seriously.

Speaking of long-planned stories, I wonder if this will be the year when we get the Quack/Shane Storm title shot that they've been sitting on since 2008.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

Huh, they referenced the Elohim City photo, guess they're continuing with that angle. From browsing Wikipedia it appears that for whatever odd reason Quack's used them as inspiration for CHIKARA heels for a while. Take a look at the name and logo for the Brüder Schweigen/Order neo Nazi terrorist group that's associated with that place.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

rovert posted:

My favorite part is this:

quote:

December was even darker, as Wrestling is Cool's owner, Milo Schnitzler, was revealed to have been a sleeper agent of the BDK all along, and showed his allegiance to Ares by ending the company on command.

Because sleeper agents are a silly, yet fitting, idea that I've yet to see incorporated into wrestling.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Gavok posted:

Speaking of long-planned stories, I wonder if this will be the year when we get the Quack/Shane Storm title shot that they've been sitting on since 2008.

It could be a work but Quack's said the match where he teamed with Liger against Jigsaw and The Shard was his last match and I think reiterated as much on one of the podcasts he's been on this week.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Keep in mind that this show is in Easton, which is basically their home arena until the ECW Arena opens back up regularly. So it's not entirely shocking to me that the show would sell out.

I basically agree with the sentiment that if this was something they had to do, then at least they did it in a fairly interesting way that kept people remembering their name.

But the major problem I had with it is that CHIKARA has always been an extremely fan-friendly company, and this whole deal kept everybody in the dark. From the end of Aniversario where fans were unceremoniously carted out of the venue, we really had no idea if this was a big story or if CHIKARA was really dead for good. I kept thinking they would emerge under the new banner of ASHES. Plus, it seems a lot of it wasn't totally as organized as it could have been. Like the idea that Titor isn't in the picture anymore, or at least took a backseat to all these sleeper enemies coming up from the abyss.

The stuff with meeting Icarus and the scavenger hunt is neat, but it only really applies to fans in and near Philly, and sort of alienates their global fanbase that they've acquired over the years. Other than the ASHES videos and second hand accounts of Wrestling Is shows, they've pretty much been out of the loop.

In any case, I'm glad they're coming back and back to doing what they do best, which is putting on a wrestling show. If they announce King of Trios for this year, I think it would cause anybody who's been put off by this whole thing to forgive and forget.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
For some reason, when I hear the name Titan of Titor, I instantly think of a guy with an Attack on Titan gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

My favorite part is this:

Because sleeper agents are a silly, yet fitting, idea that I've yet to see incorporated into wrestling.

The Booty Man, brother.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

The Booty Man, brother.

If any pro wrestling angle had done a Manchurian Candidate plot twist, of course it would be the Dungeon of Doom.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Suben posted:

It could be a work but Quack's said the match where he teamed with Liger against Jigsaw and The Shard was his last match and I think reiterated as much on one of the podcasts he's been on this week.

On AOW this week he said that if that was his last match, he was happy with the arc, whatever the hell that means.

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012

Rhonne posted:

For some reason, when I hear the name Titan of Titor, I instantly think of a guy with an Attack on Titan gimmick.

I wouldn't put it past Quack to book Giant Gonzales if he could.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BlueArmyMan posted:

On AOW this week he said that if that was his last match, he was happy with the arc, whatever the hell that means.

It means if it was his last match it was teaming with his idol who he named himself after (which itself was a career goal) against a couple of his students, maybe his favorite in Jigsaw. He probably enjoys the idea of a match that connects his inspiration and dreams with the students and legacies he leaves behind. He just seemed to feel like if that's how it ends he's content with that ending. But I didn't get the impression he was saying he's retired, just that age and injury are nagging him and he doesn't know when or if he'll wrestle again.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

It means if it was his last match it was teaming with his idol who he named himself after (which itself was a career goal) against a couple of his students, maybe his favorite in Jigsaw. He probably enjoys the idea of a match that connects his inspiration and dreams with the students and legacies he leaves behind. He just seemed to feel like if that's how it ends he's content with that ending. But I didn't get the impression he was saying he's retired, just that age and injury are nagging him and he doesn't know when or if he'll wrestle again.

Mike Quackenbush might not wrestle in a ring again, but El Hijo del Ice Cream isn't retired.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LanceBurrito posted:

Kinda like KOT, I suppose.

Yeah, they confirmed on Twitter that they're doing full-gym like at KOT'12. I'm all for that.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

STAC Goat posted:

My nitpick is more with his use of the word "arc" and not "career", frankly. Saying you're happy with your career sounds like you're content, saying you're happy with the arc makes it needlessly grandiose, to me. Though reading about the whole goings-on of Chikara over the last year, maybe that's more fitting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd say chalk it up to him saying that wrestlers are "performance artists." Obviously he views wrestling and his career as a more poetic or artistic endeavor than a lot of wrestlers so it makes sense that he'd speak of his career in narrative terms. Either way he's just saying "If that's how it ends I'm ok with that."

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

rovert posted:

Could someone try to summarize Archie's time travel saga in a similarly non-convoluted style?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Could someone try to summarize Archie's time travel saga in a similarly non-convoluted style?

he went to the past and now he's back

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

or maybe the future

reparekt
Feb 8, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I'd say chalk it up to him saying that wrestlers are "performance artists." Obviously he views wrestling and his career as a more poetic or artistic endeavor than a lot of wrestlers so it makes sense that he'd speak of his career in narrative terms. Either way he's just saying "If that's how it ends I'm ok with that."

Exactly. I listened to the AOW in question last night, and he sees himself - and likely many of the Chikara mainstays - as actors first and athletes second. Like... it sounded pretentious to me, but I could at least see where he was coming from, so it wasn't too bad.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Illinois Smith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqqgSEoW9U

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Illinois Smith posted:

To add that to the other stuff, here's how it's summed up following his own chronology, best I can understand:

Archibald Peck showed up in early 2011. Early into his run, he had a match with Eddie Kingston. He wrote up a blog post about how taking the Backfist to the Future actually caused him to get propelled into the year 2015. I forgot his explanation for how he came back, but the point of the blog was that we weren't supposed to take him seriously and think he's just being weird about Kingston uncharacteristically having such a silly name for his finisher. Presumably, he saw what became of Chikara during that time and chose not to tell anyone.

Archie continued his career and had his feud with Touchdown. During the Loser Leaves Match, he went backstage due to injury, got into a brawl with Kingston and ate another backfist. That sent him to the old west, where he became the Handsome and Mysterious Stranger. Biff "Mad Dog" Tannen sent him back forward in time with another backfist and he ended up in the present a few months after that Loser Leaves Match (meaning he had yet to finish competing in it). He wrestled as the Stranger, humiliated Touchdown and Veronica, unmasked and was thrown out by security. RD Evans got him reinstated by explaining his convoluted backstory to Wink.

He defeated Touchdown in their blowoff match, feuded with Tim Donst and then got a title match against Kingston. During the match, he saw himself in the balcony, which distracted himself enough for Kingston to backfist him. That sent Archie back to that Loser Leaves Match, where he ended up losing to Mr. Touchdown. From there, he started wandering around the globe in those "Where in the World is Archibald Peck?" videos. Eventually, he settled into a home in Parts Unknown, where he tried to figure out how Chikara was going to be destroyed. That led to him watching his own title match, where he caught the eye of his younger self. Then he was seen during the end of Never Compromise, when the set was destroyed.

He remained in Parts Unknown until 3.0 showed up. Because time moves differently in Parts Unknown, they would have been too late to stop the attack at NPWD, but then Archie came up with the idea of building a flux capacitor. They created a Delorean and went back in time to NPWD to turn the tide and that's where we are.

As it is right now, he's still fired.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Ah, I half-remembered most of that from last year but assumed that whatever happened during the off-time would produce about three more pages of stuff. Thanks.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

Probably something to do with comic books

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Timbers Jim posted:

Incidentally, the Archie/time travel stuff is far more coherent than anything Marvel's done with X-Men. And time travel is like 25% of their stories.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

reparekt posted:

Exactly. I listened to the AOW in question last night, and he sees himself - and likely many of the Chikara mainstays - as actors first and athletes second. Like... it sounded pretentious to me, but I could at least see where he was coming from, so it wasn't too bad.

I think its only "pretentious" if you assume "artist" comes with automatic "prestige." Which it really doesn't. Soap opera stars are "actors." Steve-O is a "performance artist." "Artist" isn't a value judgement. There are bad artists and there are good ones. In fact there's way, way more bad, mediocre, or derivative artists than there are good ones. So if you're able to just accept "artist" as a label or job and nothing more than I actually don't know what wrestlers could be other than "performance artists." Its a label that makes a lot of sense to me and doesn't preclude someone from being poo poo.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
And that story is why Archibald is the greatest wrestling character since brother love brought out an undead zombie

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

with their focus on storytelling over performance, I've always wondered what Chikara would be like with a TNA-level budget.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of the things that I think could really get me interested in wrestling consistently again would be a weekly Chikara show. I don't know if it would be good, bad, tremendous, or horrible but I'd be very interested to see how they told stories in that format since Quackenbush obvious values storytelling so much more than WWE or TNA, or even ROH.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

yea ok posted:

he went to the past and now he's back

Timbers Jim posted:

congrats on being really cool and helpful and funny you guys

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

STAC Goat posted:

I think its only "pretentious" if you assume "artist" comes with automatic "prestige." Which it really doesn't. Soap opera stars are "actors." Steve-O is a "performance artist." "Artist" isn't a value judgement. There are bad artists and there are good ones. In fact there's way, way more bad, mediocre, or derivative artists than there are good ones. So if you're able to just accept "artist" as a label or job and nothing more than I actually don't know what wrestlers could be other than "performance artists." Its a label that makes a lot of sense to me and doesn't preclude someone from being poo poo.

"Performance Artist" seems a lot less pretentious of a job title than "Superstar".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its probably debatable.

What might most people picture when they think of a Performance Artist?

What might most people picture when they think of a Superstar?

Its a toss up.

• Locked thread