Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

But, I mean, if your main event of a show is DARKNESS CRABTREE vs JERVIS COTTONBELLY, I think shutting the company down might be a good idea.

I beg your pardon, but please refrain from besmirching Gentlemania. I simply won't have it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

I beg your pardon, but please refrain from besmirching Gentlemania. I simply won't have it!

Don't get me wrong, I think Jervis is great. Me & him are buddies. But, I don't think he should be main eventing a show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wow that's pretty Intense

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Stole this from a tumblr:

CombatANT sporting a neckbrace and 17's hands are apparently taped up.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Quantrill posted:

The guy on the far right sure looks like Quack to me.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jubs posted:

The guy on the far right sure looks like Quack to me.

He debuted last year as an evil version of Quack alongside a trio of heel ants and a heel version of Jigsaw named The Shard. That guy at the very least wasn't Quack and was presumably just some Wrestle Factory student under a mask.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Quantrill posted:

I'm wondering why 17 isn't sporting a neckbrace as well. CombatANT may have gotten the Steven Segal neck-snap treatment, but Quack dropped 17 on his head four different ways in 17's last match. You'd think that'd gently caress your neck up something bad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I'm wondering why 17 isn't sporting a neckbrace as well. CombatANT may have gotten the Steven Segal neck-snap treatment, but Quack dropped 17 on his head four different ways in 17's last match. You'd think that'd gently caress your neck up something bad.

That's why he's the leader.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gavok posted:

He needed a way to keep people talking about Chikara or at least keeping it from fading away like a forgotten memory and so you get this angle.
"People need to keep talking about Chikara. I know! Ban anyone from the forums who talks about Chikara!"

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
New Ashes vid released to youtube.

Shows stuff with DGUSA, and confrontation between Icarus and Chuck Taylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc0Ydl3FwTI

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SirDippingSauce posted:

I bet that dialogue looked really good written down.

Still, it's so over-the-top dramatic that I kind of love it. At least I feel like something's sort of happening with this thing for the first time since the iPPV.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

SirDippingSauce posted:

:laffo: that is so bad. I loving lost it at the sad piano music.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

This has all the production quality and acting of a batman fan film. Unreal.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

oatgan posted:

This has all the production quality and acting of a batman fan film. Unreal.

Man, I never thought I'd call anything Chuck Taylor delivered as "Wooden" but yeah, yikes. Over the top presentation and clunky delivery aside, I do think it's kinda interesting how one of Chikara's biggest slimeball-iest, look-at-that-face-don't-you-just-wanna-punch-it rudos has managed between the final match vs. Kingston and now to position himself as not only a good guy, but the one fighting the most for Chikara to come back.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Quantrill posted:

Is this a wrestling show in an empty room?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

triplexpac posted:

Is this a wrestling show in an empty room?

On one hand, the chairs were probably set up opposite of the hard camera due to the size of the room. On the other hand, I read that the attendance was super small, so it might as well be an empty room.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Read in to this what you will but Ophidian is offering training at the Chikara Wrestle Factory

Ophidian's Facebook Page posted:

Come and #train with me & others on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday nights at #TheWrestleFactory. #Ophidian #IAmChikara #prowrestling #luchalibre

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Manwithastick posted:

Read in to this what you will but Ophidian is offering training at the Chikara Wrestle Factory

That's nothing new. A lot of CHIKARA wrestlers randomly advertise the WrestleFactory on Twitter. Chuck Taylor does it a lot too. I think Quack sends them messages telling them to do it because the tweets are usually almost word for word identical and done around the same time.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DM Punk posted:

That's nothing new. A lot of CHIKARA wrestlers randomly advertise the WrestleFactory on Twitter. Chuck Taylor does it a lot too. I think Quack sends them messages telling them to do it because the tweets are usually almost word for word identical and done around the same time.

Yeah, and I think I heard that Ophidian and Chuck Taylor have been the main trainers besides Quack ever since Claudio left.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I like Chuck Taylor, but he's not the first guy I would think of when I think "people who would be good to be trained by."

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I like Chuck Taylor, but he's not the first guy I would think of when I think "people who would be good to be trained by."

Good trainers aren't always the best workers, and I could see someone wanting to get trained by a guy taking regular bookings over a guy who has a wealth of experience but can't physically go in the ring anymore.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chuck Taylor's pretty good for a skinny guy with love handles.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Besides, didn't he train Ricochet?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gavok posted:

Besides, didn't he train Ricochet?

they had 1000 matches on kentucky indies but ricochet would be nothing near how good he is if he didn't go to dragon gate

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I remember hearing Hallowicked being the trainer with Quack these days. I am sure all the old school CHIKARA guys help out too. I bet Green Ant will be a trainer at some point. He's really good.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Shaman of Cum posted:

they had 1000 matches on kentucky indies but ricochet would be nothing near how good he is if he didn't go to dragon gate

He knows Ricochet better than anyone.

Remember that mysterious masked wrestler, Helios?

"This is Richochet, look at the hair! This is very obviously Ricochet!"

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Pretty much. It was only after that tour of Dragon Gate he started to really be a good wrestler. DG has really helped develop a ton of indy wrestlers.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

You know the answer to this.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

He knows Ricochet better than anyone.

"This is Richochet, look at the hair! This is very obviously Ricochet!"

I was super ammped to see Helios and the other guy fight for the tag belts in Cleveland a few years ago, but then he got bombed onto the stage ramp and was injured the rest of the match (drat you DBK!)

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Someone over on the 101 boards just pointed out this quote from a match back in 2007.

UltraMantis Black was on commentary with Louden Noxious, at the show "Aniversario!" during the match that featured Kaiju Big Battel performers.

"One day my friend, one day, Dr. Cube and myself will create one conglomerate so evil, so vicious, so devious, that no one will be safe."

Goddammit, Quack...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Someone over on the 101 boards just pointed out this quote from a match back in 2007.

UltraMantis Black was on commentary with Louden Noxious, at the show "Aniversario!" during the match that featured Kaiju Big Battel performers.

"One day my friend, one day, Dr. Cube and myself will create one conglomerate so evil, so vicious, so devious, that no one will be safe."

Goddammit, Quack...

I think that's reaching.

Regardless, he was pretty good for a high school student mentored by a 20-year-old.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

I think that's reaching.

Regardless, he was pretty good for a high school student mentored by a 20-year-old.

And Chuck has developed well for a guy who was trained by some goof in Kentucky and had no one to work with beyond a bunch of fat old guys who couldn't/didn't want to do anything in the ring.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

I think that's reaching.

Counter-point: It's Quack. Guy loves his obscure plot threads.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DM Punk posted:

I remember hearing Hallowicked being the trainer with Quack these days. I am sure all the old school CHIKARA guys help out too. I bet Green Ant will be a trainer at some point. He's really good.

Looks like we're both right.

http://www.thewrestlefactory.com/trainers.html

quote:

Since the day it opened back in 2002, training classes at the Wrestle Factory have been taught by company founder "Lightning" Mike Quackenbush. While he is often aided by others in training his proteges, Quackenbush remains permanently installed as the Wrestle Factory's head trainer. After the sale of CHIKARA to Worldwide Media Development Corporation, the Wrestle Factory has fallen exclusively under the direction of Quackenbush. He is assisted in training by Hallowicked, Ophidian, Fire Ant, Chuck Taylor, and Green Ant on select days.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Found a pretty good, comprehensive article that goes into the whole Chikara situation.

quote:

If and when it does return, there’s every possibility that they’ll take the opportunity to reboot their continuity – it’s terrific that they’ve got plotlines that date back multiple years and which were seeded in throwaway lines in old event promos, but there’s a reason why the WWE has a three-month rule for referring back to things, and there’s a danger that Chikara could have just continued down its tangled storyline path and ended up the equivalent of mid-’90s X-Men, impenetrable to all but the faithful. If they’re going to start up again, they’d be sensible to take the opportunity to get something of a fresh start, whether that means a New 52-style reboot or something more akin to a Marvel Now-influenced fresh-lick-of-paint relaunch.

If anything, at least Quack could reboot the company more coherently and competently than the New 52.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
In the "two things I'm not particularly into all that much" department, it looks like Chikara has set up a deal with Neon Alley, the "online channel" that primarily specializes in English dubbed Japanese cartoons, to rebroadcast 26 of their past shows. Which shows those will be hasn't been specified anywhere, but with Chikara being laid out as driven more by its own continuity than by the in-ring product itself, I imagine it'd have to be a full contiguous "season." I just don't recall if any of those ran for 26 shows. Anyway, here's the video announcement. A few seconds of Chikara are mixed in with a montage of the rest of the lineup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLKurcPP5c

That site is weird because it's only somewhat recently that they've started offering on-demand access to their programming and making the channel available via means other than Playstation 3. Honestly, I'm a bit unsure how much overlap there is between potential Chikara fans and people who are willing to pay $7 a month specifically to see episodes of Naruto from a few years ago dubbed in English, but it's certainly got potential for Chikara to reach an audience of people it currently doesn't. That being said, all of my personal experience suggests that anime fans aren't extremely keen on following professional wrestling, not even Japanese pro wrestling. At anime conventions of nearly 30,000 people, you probably will find less than 50-75 willing to show up to see programming about pro wrestling. I'm not sure how much those percentages carry over to Neon Alley's subscribers, but maybe now that it's on demand they'll check it out out of curiosity.

Even so, Chikara appeals to a very specific type of fan which I'm not so sure fits in with the contemporary "anime lifestyle," to quote that Youtube video (whatever that actually means). I don't need to tell anyone here that despite their name being "Chikara" and some elements of the ring work being patterned after 1990s-era Michinoku Pro, the structure and approach of Chikara's characters and storylines are (from my relative outsider's perspective) primarily patterned after Silver Age American comicbooks more than any sort of Japanese animation or comicbooks. (This is in contrast with what the lyrics to that Stan Bush High Noon song claimed). I'll confess to not really listening to Mike Quackenbush's podcasts, but most of what I see suggests he's far, far more attuned to current American comics than he is with current anime and manga. In fact, all the various Chikara-related merchandise/comics/etc seem more in reference to American pop culture.

I guess it's something, at least.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 5, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Granted I haven't actually watched a lot of M-Pro but I've always assumed Quack's biggest influence for Chikara was Osaka Pro. It seems to be the same general set-up right down to the family friendly deal and a focus (at least earlier on) on goofy gimmicks and masks and comedy, just with an American comic twist instead of an anime/Japanese folklore one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

At the Wrestling is Awesome show today, Scott Parker won a tournament to be the WiA champion. Then Dr. Cube and his monster posse stormed the ring, beat the poo poo out of everyone, stole the belt, stole the money from the gate and left.

This is some serious Secret Society of Supervillains poo poo. I'm expecting some kind of BDK appearance to go down next.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Hardcore title is still a thing.

Now with swears and beer!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Supervillains would steal more than $87. This is an Institute of Inferiorvillains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

Supervillains would steal more than $87.

I don't think you truly understand supervillainy.

• Locked thread