Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Wagatsuma-san is my wife!(我妻さんは俺のヨメ)

Aoshima Hitoshi wakes up one day and realizes he can sometimes time slip 10 years into the future, where he's now happily married to the most popular girl in school.

Problem is, because he's so plain and unpopular in the present she doesn't even know he exists!

How the hell's a below-average dude supposed to win the heart of the love of his life and make the future come true?

Wagatsuma-san is my wife! is a time slip romantic comedy manga by Yuu Kuraishi and Keishi Nishikida, currently running in Weekly Shonen magazine.
It's also the goddamn funniest High School comedy (with fantastic frames every chapter) you'll read in a long time and needs more people to read it. Seriously, if you love crazy facial expressions and references this manga has it in spades.

Characters

Aoshima Hitoshi
Our 17 year old main character. Your very average high school student with very terrible grades and fitness but with some sense of moral and self awareness. Strips down to his underwear when depressed. May or may not be a goon.

Wagatsuma Ai
The most popular beauty in school with excellent grades, star of the swim team and somehow Aoshima's loving wife in the future. Kind to others, but can be surprisingly ditzy and stubborn at times. Enjoys watching Japanese dramas and Quiz shows. How cute is she?

Aoshima Hikari
The younger twin-tailed little sister of our main character, and the voice of reason among the two siblings. Knows the ABCs of relationships and the hustle.

Itou Shirou
Aoshima's friend and volleyball teammate. Has a disturbingly wide knowledge of music, lip reading and photoshop skills, among many more illegal know-hows. Goon perfected.

Komatsu Masao
Part of Aoshima's trio of friendship, he's the leader of a (kinda) secret society dedicated to (kinda) hating on popular people. Has pretty terrible taste in everything. Is also probably definitely a goon.

Shimatsuma Sylvia
The exotic exchange student from Holland. Quiet and a lone wolf, she's nicknamed Queen Sylvia due to her cold exterior and slightly condescending personality. Is sometimes Aoshima's wife in the future. Actually a massive anime fan.

Do you enjoy

Good looking bros?

Fighting?

Rocking out?

Romance?

Kissing?

Then what are you waiting for? Read it at Manga Fox or Batoto now!

Or you know,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Allarion posted:

Basically yeah. Apparently the first 11 chapters were in another magazine first, and are marked SP. Then it got restarted, but it'll still refer to those first 11 chapters as introductions for Sylvia and etc. The scanlators didn't start on the first 11 chapters till a while later, so there's still that gap, but it's not that big of a deal probably.

Yeah I was a bit about that too since they lightly touch up on introducing characters again, but at least it doesn't get into the way of the humor or reuses much jokes.

I've been thinking about what makes this manga good, and it's refreshing how single-minded the plot really is, where unlike some romance comedies where you'll get a lot of needless conflicts or lots of love interests. At its heart it's still a manga about growing up.

Every chapter is just Aoshima haphazardly screwing up to try to impress the girl of his dreams, and somehow still getting her attention. You can't help but cheer Aoshima on because he's so earnest about it, and everyone behaves like a high schooler should.

Also there's this

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

BlitzBlast posted:

Both girls are super generic, I don't see how you can really say one is better than the other. The real draw is the DX Brigade.

It makes me really to see that in the future the guys in the DX Brigade all turn out alright. Kinda.

It's also hilarious in the latest chapter that They even let Dobashi join their unpopular kids club dedicated to hating him, because deep down they're bros (united by love of...panties?). I also really liked how it was mentioned by SchrodingersCat where Aoshima helps out Dobashi because he didn't want him to turn into a jobless loser in the future, even though he was his rival in getting the girl. It sets up their friendship in the future that much better.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

AnacondaHL posted:

I guess the only issue is the translation keeps splitting words in weird ways. The worst is the main girl's name, which has been split inconsistently throughout but is most often done one way that I can't stop saying her name is

Wagat
Suma

which of course my brain tells me is wrong so hey maybe dyslexically flip the W and S and now I'm thinking of Street Fighter.

There's also 3 extra special chapters up! Get reading.

Special Chapter 9

Special Chapter 10

Special Chapter 11

In their own way they are all very

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Looks like the subgroup had a Wagatsuma translation marathon, which means New chapters are out!

Chapter 19- Sympathy for the Brother

Chapter 20- Classroom Rock

Chapter 21- GO! GO! MANIAC

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

New week, 3 new Chapters are up! Good to see that there's an ongoing plot now too. Kind of.

Click!

Chapter 22 Don't stop me now

Chpater 23 St Anger

Chapter 24 Dance Everybody

Chapter 24:I did a proud fist pump when they finally played on the rooftop. The DX Brigade did it!

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Alright fellow timeslippers, there's 2 brand new chapters up!

We're also slowly catching up to the raws now, and from what I've read there's going to be some awesome chapters coming up!

Chapter 25: ABC

Chapter 26: Changes

Chapter 26 You've got heart, kid. And most of the time that's enough.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Chapter 34 for the lazy peeps

Speculation:Is it time for a new wife?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Anatharon posted:

I'm confused, suddenly Aoshima is getting called Chintao?

Are you reading the earlier/ special chapters? Aoshima's name in Kanji is read as Chintao in Chinese Mandarin, which some of those chapters were translated from I'm not quite sure why they didn't just look to see what the other scans were using but ehhh.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Chapter 40

Kind of an odd chapter focused on the Dx brigade and a possible new wife?

Chapter 40: Cause I'mma ride for my panties, die for my panties, puff lye with my bros til I'm high with my panties. (Dobashi just wants to be bros with you guys geez, be cool I seriously doubt they'll make Dobashi's older sister another future wife but we'll see!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

pentyne posted:

It seems like we're building up to a Wolfen Guy moment, where something so completely over the line occurs it ruins the series forever.

Like mentioned earlier the tone of the humor is pretty similar to Detroit Metal City where it's just extreme gags played for laughs because they're just dumb awkward high school students trying to grow up. I remember even the pedophile jokes are called out by the rest of the DX Gang as highly inapproppriate. At least in the latest chapter they're going for some character development for Matrix 2.

Latest chapter: Wreeeeestling!

• Locked thread