Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WTFBEES posted:

That's what I thought too until he paused my active video 10 minutes after driving away. I've yet to reproduce it while just sitting here turning WiFi on and off on my phone, but it happened somehow.

Was he on his wifi? From what I've seen, your device sends commands just to the IP of the chromecast on the network. I'd imagine that wouldn't work straight over the internet. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how it routed the commands to your chromecast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Athenry posted:

Was he on his wifi? From what I've seen, your device sends commands just to the IP of the chromecast on the network. I'd imagine that wouldn't work straight over the internet. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how it routed the commands to your chromecast.

It makes no sense to me either. In not yet sure if he was on his home Wi-Fi or just mobile, but I'll try to reproduce it next time he's around.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I hope the Plex guys can get their mobile apps working with this. That would be absolutely fantastic! It already works (sorta) through the Plex web UI and a laptop, but it's not optimal.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Some more apps coming with chromecast support:

http://www.androidauthority.com/hbo-go-revision-3-washington-post-songza-and-currently-being-tested-for-chromecast-249662/

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Jensen posted:

Do you have a gs4 and was the battery usage under Google services?

I do have a GS4, but the usage was actually showing as the Chromecast app itself.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 28, 2013

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Acrolos posted:

I do have a GS4, but the usage was actually showing as the Chromecast app itself.

There is some speculation there is something up specifically with the GS4 and chromecasting. Every single time I cast on my GPe GS4 my battery will melt itself unless I restart the phone.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've been interested in getting one of these, but I haven't had the time to read up on it in detail and haven't seen this written out explicitly: is the mobile device doing the heavy lifting, or is it just serving as a remote control? I have a Galaxy Nexus and get poo poo battery life at the best of times. I don't know how well it'd work if it's taking an active role.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Meldonox posted:

I've been interested in getting one of these, but I haven't had the time to read up on it in detail and haven't seen this written out explicitly: is the mobile device doing the heavy lifting, or is it just serving as a remote control? I have a Galaxy Nexus and get poo poo battery life at the best of times. I don't know how well it'd work if it's taking an active role.

Your phone would tell chromecast to stream the video, it's not streaming from the phone. Unless you want to stream from your phone's chrome browser though, but that's not really it's main thing.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I'm certain Roku HQ has an "emergency all hands 8am staff meeting" scheduled for 8am tomorrow.

Seriously. The list of apps and providers that could come soon has to scare the poo poo out of them.

I can't think of a reason for anyone to buy a Roku going forward.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

hotsauce posted:

I'm certain Roku HQ has an "emergency all hands 8am staff meeting" scheduled for 8am tomorrow.

Seriously. The list of apps and providers that could come soon has to scare the poo poo out of them.

The only thing i like about the roku is that one of the models has a remote control where you can attach headphones to it, that is a really cool feature.

I wonder if google could make it so you could stream the audio from you phone/tablet/computer so you could do the same thing.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Nope, closing the chrome tab after starting a netflix video and launching via the little but in netflix's play video kills the chromecast stream.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Has anyone heard when Best Buy outlets might be getting more stock?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Athenry posted:

If its like YouTube on my tv, you give YouTube a code for the device and you then talk directly to the YouTube server. There's no talking to the device, it's all through YouTube as an intermediary.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Jensen posted:

There is some speculation there is something up specifically with the GS4 and chromecasting. Every single time I cast on my GPe GS4 my battery will melt itself unless I restart the phone.

Good to know. It just so happened that I got a new extended battery on the day that I set up the Chromecaster, so I was really disappointed with the battery life. Now that I've deleted the app, I didn't even use 50% of my battery over the course of the day.

Fortunately, I planned on using my ipad as the main input source for my chromecaster...but it would still be nice to use the phone occasionally. I'd have to think they'll get it fixed though...I guess that's the advantage of having an insanely popular phone.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

enigma105 posted:

If its like YouTube on my tv, you give YouTube a code for the device and you then talk directly to the YouTube server. There's no talking to the device, it's all through YouTube as an intermediary.

Chromecast doesn't work like this at all.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

Roku is still pretty dead simple for "get mom/dad access to crap on their tv" though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hotsauce posted:

A Roku is remarkably simple, both to use and to explain to someone who might be interested in buying something like this. It comes with everything you need to get it working outside of the TV itself and its functionality, though limited, is rock solid and easy to grasp. The Chromecast is just that extra bit more complex in its functionality, and while it might be easy enough to grasp for people who follow this kind of stuff, less tech-inclined people are going to wonder why they need to use their phone rather than a remote, and why they can't show the videos on their phone on the TV if they're being forced to use it anyway, and do they have to install apps on their phone or the Chromecast or both, and so forth.

I like the Chromecast and want to get one relatively soon (within the next month hopefully), but I'm also inclined to find technology neat for its own sake. Last Christmas I got my parents a Roku, but if I hadn't it's still what I would get them this Christmas as well. It remains the simplest solution for streaming video (and there have been cheaper options available for a while now).

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I have a Roku, and it sucks dick. It's super slow in both loading and with the interface. I hated using it any time I wanted to watch Netflix or use Plex. I think others would be frustrated with their Rokus enough to try something small, cheap, and fast.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="417894601"]
I have a Roku, and it sucks dick. It's super slow in both loading and with the interface. I hated using it any time I wanted to watch Netflix or use Plex. I think others would be frustrated with their Rokus enough to try something small, cheap, and fast.

I would agree. I have an Apple TV and love it's functionality, but the roku frustrates me everytime I try to use it. As you said, it's extremely slow and lags when making movements. The worst part for me though is the Netflix functionality. I absolutely hate the layout they use and find it nearly impossible to track something down that isn't sitting at the top of my queue. The Apple app is much better, so is my ipad/phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Mine finally came and and it's pretty drat neat for what it is. I hope Chrome on Android gets updated soon since I rarely use a computer at home.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

From what I gather it's basically a semi-dumb streaming stick that you point towards an internet source with your phone/tablet/computer? Outside the screencasting feature, that is. Just you hit the button that says "hey Chromecast, go play this" and Chrome goes "okay! *plays*" and boom, cats on your TV?

Or is it radically different? I ordered one (all BBY stores in Omaha are sold out) and am waiting on it but I'm wondering how far they can push this thing in the future.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Entire Universe posted:

From what I gather it's basically a semi-dumb streaming stick that you point towards an internet source with your phone/tablet/computer? Outside the screencasting feature, that is. Just you hit the button that says "hey Chromecast, go play this" and Chrome goes "okay! *plays*" and boom, cats on your TV?

Or is it radically different? I ordered one (all BBY stores in Omaha are sold out) and am waiting on it but I'm wondering how far they can push this thing in the future.

Thats exactly what it is. Whats nice though is hbo go and netflix, and amazon dont have to make deals with companies like roku and sony (ps3). They can just write support directly into their app.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

You're pretty much correct. I think most of the excitement is about what the future holds for the device. Now that it's already being classified as a hit, you have to imagine that sites all over the internet are going to start making it easy to connect to it.

For Netflix, it's already worlds better than the Roku for me. The simplicity of this device is fantastic. I'm really quite happy with it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
The one thing i hope google or someone else does is make a chromecast launcher app with all the compatible chromecast apps.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

The one thing i hope google or someone else does is make a chromecast launcher app with all the compatible chromecast apps.

This? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

I thought that was just to setup chromecast and install chromecast apps... guess i'll find out tonight.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mister Fister posted:

I thought that was just to setup chromecast and install chromecast apps... guess i'll find out tonight.

It'll have a list of chromecast compatible apps down at the bottom. I'm not sure its really intended as a launcher, as it doesn't have all the compatible apps listed when I open it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Athenry posted:

It'll have a list of chromecast compatible apps down at the bottom. I'm not sure its really intended as a launcher, as it doesn't have all the compatible apps listed when I open it.

Yeah it just takes you to the Playstore page for the app, even if you have it installed. But listing them is a start, then you can probably make an app group or something.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Acrolos posted:

I would agree. I have an Apple TV and love it's functionality, but the roku frustrates me everytime I try to use it. As you said, it's extremely slow and lags when making movements. The worst part for me though is the Netflix functionality. I absolutely hate the layout they use and find it nearly impossible to track something down that isn't sitting at the top of my queue. The Apple app is much better, so is my ipad/phone.

A lot of this frustration can be alleviated by using the Roku phone app. I hate searching for poo poo on the Roku but the phone makes this a lot more pleasant.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
One of the Android guys I follow on G+ posted this today:

quote:

Play local H.264 MP4s natively (as in not by casting a tab) on the ChromeCast

So this is pretty hacky, but it does work (for me, at least). First you need the Chromecast Chrome extension installed (I'm actually not positive you need it, but if you own a Chromecast you should already have it installed anyway). Then you need to go to a Chromecast enabled site in Chrome ( http://www.youtube.com for example), and open up the javascript console (control-shift-J). Paste the code from this pastebin into the console: http://pastebin.com/uGmxQKN9

At this point, if you type "launch("URL_THAT_POINTS_TO_A_VIDEO");" into the javascript console, it will play on the Chromecast, assuming the format is supported. The method I used to play local files was to host a simple local web server that serves out a directory. I like Mongoose for that on Windows ( https://code.google.com/p/mongoose/ ). I was able to play from a URL on the local network just fine, and was playing local content in full resolution (full 1080p as far as I could tell) without stressing my system a bit.

Super hacky, but is something fun to play with until the internet further bends this device to its will. For the record, sound in videos was working for me, but the pastebin claims that sound does not work. This whole thing is a YMMV sort of deal.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Mine finally came and and it's pretty drat neat for what it is. I hope Chrome on Android gets updated soon since I rarely use a computer at home.
I wonder if/how this would work. The Netflix app on Android doesn't need to stay running for Chromecast to keep playing (in fact, you can turn your phone off and it'll keep playing). However, if you play a video in Chrome on your computer, you have to leave Chrome and the tab open in order for it to keep playing. It seems like the two streaming sources behave differently.

I'm not all that interested in streaming from Chrome on my phone if it has to keep playing on the phone in order to work (as that would quickly destroy my battery life).

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I would not expect the Chrome tab features from the desktop to be added to the mobile version.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I would not expect the Chrome tab features from the desktop to be added to the mobile version.
It could be possible if you limit it to what the other apps already do, i.e. build a lightweight web page around a video URL. In this scenario the Chromecast would just take the place of your device's built-in video app (or Cast support could be added to the app). What is certainly a ways off is the ability to cast arbitrary content from a mobile device by encoding it in real time the way the Google Cast Chrome extension does.

The Dude fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 29, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hopefully a future update to the Chromecast mobile app allows it to be like a hub to see exactly what you have streaming and can control what's playing directly from the app itself.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

So all of you that have one - what is seeking through a file like? instantaneous, or a big pain in the buttocks? I've heard plex on a roku is kind of balls when it comes to pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, the netflix app on my HTC One doesn't appear to have anything to poke to chromecast things. I installed it fresh. The netflix app on my N7 does have a button to chromecast things, and works like awesome.

What is going on here?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is your HTC one on the wireless network.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Guitarchitect posted:

So all of you that have one - what is seeking through a file like? instantaneous, or a big pain in the buttocks? I've heard plex on a roku is kind of balls when it comes to pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding?
The problem with Plex on Roku is you have to rewind or fast forward blind since the Plex server doesn't support generation of the still images that the Roku uses when seeking (although it looks like they recently added that so I'll have to try it out). With Chromecast, you seek using the app so if you aren't satisfied with using your finger to navigate through a video, it isn't going to be any better, plus there will be a very short delay since the command needs to be sent over your network.

Just read a little further and saw that the Plex indexing feature is for Plex Pass subscribers, so I suppose I won't try that out after all.

The Dude fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 29, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Don Lapre posted:

Is your HTC one on the wireless network.

Dunno what was up, just tried again and now it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I fired up Netflix at work to show some coworkers the 'Cast' button and it wasn't there. I suspect there's some kind of voodoo going on where it only shows the button if you're connected to the same wireless network the Chromecast device is registered as being connected to.

• Locked thread