Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The OP needs more lens flare.

None of the BestBuy's near me had it and I completely forgot I had Prime so like a scrub I ordered from Play. I wont get it until the 30th. :saddowns:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

Since I read that Chromecast is capable of shouldering the load of 1080p MKV files, I guess that would mke it powerful enough to potentially stream games from your Android tablet/Chrome device right? Kind of like what AirPlay mirroring does with iOS games.

It gets kind of spotty at 1080p local file playing but rocks it on 720p from what I understand from a friend that bought one. Take it all with a grain of salt though, Google said this thing is still very much in its infancy.

I do wonder tough, is this thing able to be upgraded over time with like firmware or something?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If you ordered from Play Google directly emails you the Netflix promo but apparently that offer is now null for orders going forward.

Being rewarded with crumbs on an untested product. :smug:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nimper posted:

I ordered on the play store...

Order date: Jul 24, 2013 11:22:38 AM PDT

I haven't received an email about the Netflix code yet :ohdear:

You'll get the email when it ships.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Mine finally came and and it's pretty drat neat for what it is. I hope Chrome on Android gets updated soon since I rarely use a computer at home.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
One of the Android guys I follow on G+ posted this today:

quote:

Play local H.264 MP4s natively (as in not by casting a tab) on the ChromeCast

So this is pretty hacky, but it does work (for me, at least). First you need the Chromecast Chrome extension installed (I'm actually not positive you need it, but if you own a Chromecast you should already have it installed anyway). Then you need to go to a Chromecast enabled site in Chrome ( http://www.youtube.com for example), and open up the javascript console (control-shift-J). Paste the code from this pastebin into the console: http://pastebin.com/uGmxQKN9

At this point, if you type "launch("URL_THAT_POINTS_TO_A_VIDEO");" into the javascript console, it will play on the Chromecast, assuming the format is supported. The method I used to play local files was to host a simple local web server that serves out a directory. I like Mongoose for that on Windows ( https://code.google.com/p/mongoose/ ). I was able to play from a URL on the local network just fine, and was playing local content in full resolution (full 1080p as far as I could tell) without stressing my system a bit.

Super hacky, but is something fun to play with until the internet further bends this device to its will. For the record, sound in videos was working for me, but the pastebin claims that sound does not work. This whole thing is a YMMV sort of deal.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Getting idle lock ups on my Nexus 4 when casting Netflix. If the phone goes to sleep it straight up doesn't wake back up. Bone stock, 4.3. Doesn't seem to effect my Nexus 7 though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Athenry posted:

There's a thread on XDA about this. Seems that the lock screen thing that netflix pops up while casting locks up the nexus 4 on 4.3. Doesn't seem to affect anything else.

Got a link handy?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone else's Chromecast been running hot? I just used mine for 2 hours of Netflix and it got pretty warm. I've been unplugging it when I'm not using it just to be on the safe side. :tinfoil:

It gets pretty warm. I doubt it's a real issue but I put it in the extender just to be sure.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, plugging into my TV's USB lasted about a day before it annoyed me enough to just use a dedicated power.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sharktamer posted:

Is a few seconds really that long to wait?

Plenty of spare power strip plugs. Not sure why it matters.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

How old and what make/model is your TV? I had to enable something called "Regza Link" on my Toshiba TV to get the Chromecast to automatically switch inputs when queried to cast something and to turn on the TV when it's off.

The Dude posted:

As teagone mentions, pretty much every manufacturer decided to give CEC their own dopey name, sometimes more than one.

:stare: Going home to check this.

I should really start reading instruction manuals.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sobriquet posted:

Netflix just updated the app to address the issues with Android 4.3

Thank Christ.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nihiliste posted:

Come to think of it, I'm curious about other people's usage patterns. I use mine daily - what I tend to do is add videos to my YouTube Watch Later playlist during the day, then queue all of them up on the Chromecast while I eat dinner. I've also taken to using the Chromecast to watching Netflix, even though my TV already has a built-in Netflix app and the Android app can be rough.

Pretty much me. I've got a Revue and an XBOX that can handle what the CC does and more but I find it much easier to just CC my Netflix and YouTube stuff since I generally have a phone in my pocket and a tablet sitting on the couch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

I'd love to see some flying toasters up on my tv when the CC is idle.

Lunatic Fringe, phone/tablet as a controller.

:allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

My Chromecast just updated and the new home screen is super minimal. I like it. The big "Ready to cast" text is gone, and the small text that is present (name of your Chromecast, the current time, photo credit) is semi-transparent white. Pretty slick.

Mine just got this update, loving it. The stock photo selection is a lot larger too.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Chromecast is now open to developers

https://plus.google.com/100585555255542998765/posts/f5TLgHDzhaY

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

AllCast is functional again. Koush said it only took 20 minutes to update to use the official APIs.

http://phandroid.com/2014/02/04/allcast-chromecast-update/

The important thing to note here is the last paragraph that users need the new Play Services. I haven't found a direct link to download that yet and Google hasn't pushed it to me yet. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Came here to post that. wahoo!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm kind of lost. Casting Plex to a TV in my house from my brother's Plex server. It just randomly stops and I have to stop the app and restart it. Watching the same content via Plex on the device itself instead of casting it to CC never fails. Casting Netflix to my CC never fails. Knowing those two things just confuses to me as to what the problem is.

The server exceeds the specs listed in the Plex thread.
Both sites have ample download bandwidth and 30+ upload.
Router is an E1200 which is as far as I can tell only supports 2.4. It's set to mixed, should I lock it to N? Everything in my house is wireless but I think it's all N compatible: N7's (both 2012 and 2013), N5, N4, Wii, 360 Slim.
Everything in the house has been reset to factory.

So...
Bad Chromecast?
Spotty internet?
or Because Plex+CC?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Fire TV tempts me but searching for content on my phone/tablet with a keyboard is something I really don't want to give up, good voice search or not.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Trampus posted:

The Google+ Photos group posted earlier today that the latest version of the Google+ app now supports casting your photos.

https://plus.google.com/108972862430615180924/posts/ehR6emNAi5J

Oh wow, I've been waiting for this. loving owns.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/07/mirror-your-android-screen-to-tv-with.html
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461

It's now possible to cast a device's screen over to your Chromecast (it even works fine by casting sound as well).

Oh wow. I wasn't expecting this until L.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Oh drat, just tried screen casting on my home version and it's so fast and smooth. So little lag I can play action games.

Came here to post this. Its surprisingly good.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Heners_UK posted:

Are we continuing the Android TV/Nexus Player chat here? I ordered mine, dispatched on 14 Nov (according to to Google)

Me too. I should have probably just waited and picked one up from Best Buy but the allure of the Buy button is too much. Actually kinda excited. Added the controller for the hell of it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Heners_UK posted:

It seems though that they started pre-orders before the Player had FCC certification. But this won't delay shipping if you have ordered before this point.

Google. :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The Plex app on my phone and tablet crash like crazy which causes me to have to dig through my file hierarchy for each new episode but it crashing hasn't caused playback problems.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Got my Nexus Player and controller last night.

Player
- Very nice looking. A lot better looking on a stand than a huge STB.
- Small, so if you have stiff HDMI cables it may case it to lift up.
- Content in indeed sparse but the basics are there.
- Voice control on the remote is astoundingly bad.
- Operation is very smooth. No hangups or stuttering.
- - Except when you're installing big apps and it is basically worthless and laggy. Once it finishes its fine.
- Installing apps via the web Play Store works decently. Played FF6 a bunch.
- Boot takes fooooooooooooooooooooooooorever.
- Wish it had multi user due to the gaming aspect.

Controller
- Basic. Seems to be built decent enough. Button throw is average.
- Dpad is clicky and awful but functions fine.
- Overpriced

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 14, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

butt dickus posted:

I think he means you can only log on to one account at a time. You can connect up to 4 of the gamepads to one Nexus Player.

This. Like if my fiance wants to play Badland she's stuck playing it on my account so stuff like progress or achievements goes to my Play Games profile.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

Oh poo poo, this is perfect.

Oh man this is awesome. I had a bunch of fun with BWQ with family over Christmas as well but this is going in the rotation now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

5436 posted:

Is the Nexus Players Chomecast ability buggy? I've read some reports of that but want some more data points.

Mine comes and goes. I can sit there and plow through 10 episodes of something then all of a sudden the stream stops and when I hit the cast button on whatever app the NP isn't listed. Comes back after a few seconds but holy poo poo is it annoying. I've been tempted to just pick up a Chromecast in the mean time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Nothing ground breaking and weirdly enough the casting on the NP is a little more gimped than a Chromecast. What it basically boils down to is it's a Chromecast with apps. After having mine for a few months that's all it really gets used for. About the only habit I changed was that I tend to use the native Netflix app on the NP instead of casting Netflix from my phone because it supports autoplay on episodes.

The gaming aspect is actually kinda fun but obviously you need to plop down the cash for a controller.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

This happens to me with Plex too on my Moto G 2014. Haven't figured out why it happens though. Poor memory management on Android's part?

More than likely. Happens to me on Plex quite a bit but more so when I'm using the tablet for other things while casting.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

wooger posted:

So does casting from my phone I think...?

If it's supported on the phone via casting that'd be news to me because mine refuses to do it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Picking up a Chromecast on the way home. I am just fed loving up with the Nexus Player. First cast of the day and it's never on the list of available devices so I have to reboot it. Every day.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

wolfbiker posted:

Weird, I never have to reboot mine and they always show up on my list of devices. Maybe there's an issue with yours.

Factory reset didn't fix it so I'm going to try flashing it with the factory image this weekend and see if that helps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

What issue do you have? My ADT1 has basically been flawless.

Specifically if it sits idle for some time (say overnight) the NP is not listed in the available casting devices. If I manually change my TV to that HDMI input its just a black screen. It's doing something because the TV doesn't say its not getting any input but I can't cast to it and the remote doesn't wake it up. Like a sleep of death. I have to power cycle it to get it back. Every day.

A buddy with an ADT1 said to mess with its sleep options but those options don't exist as far as I can find on the NP. Google searching just gets me page after page of sexualizing your Skyrim character on nexusmods.com. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone been having trouble with the sound on their ChromeCast skipping and cutting out? Mine's been doing that a lot lately; sometimes it'll be fine for a whole movie, then the sound will keep cutting in and out.

A lot of issues but not this one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Heners_UK posted:

For the Nexus Player owners having freezing issues, there is quite a good post in the official forums:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/131437-google-nexus-player-interval-pauses/page-9#entry904990

They ask for information on what people are experiencing and details of the media in question

I ended up buying a Chromecast to replace the NP but it's nice to see progress being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

wolfbiker posted:

The NP has Chromecast support, why get both?

It's buggy as gently caress and frustrating to use every day.

• Locked thread