Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If you are in the Bethlehem PA area, the BB on Freemansburg Ave has 7 Chromecasts left. They also have 20 32gig N7's but the guy wouldn't sell me one. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh, cool the Chromecast doesn't work on the hotel's LG TV.

Here for another month. Fun times.

Tried factory reset codes, etc (using my HTC One since the remote is a "Pace" cable box remote). Close to entering the factory service menu, but holding a button on the One doesn't constantly send a signal to hack into the thing. Highly annoying.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Apparently Best Buy is stocking this in-store beginning Sunday - I wonder if their print ad will mention the Netflix offer?

They are in-store now.

So I returned the first Chromecast I got from BB. Thought it was defective because the hotel TV wouldn't display an image. I held down the reset button on the stick for 26 seconds, it rebooted. The Chrome "restoring to factory defaults" appeared. Then, nothing.

Got another one. Same exact thing, so it's the terrible hotel TV I guess. Strange as the reset dialogue shows fine, then the screen flashes green and ... nothing. "No Signal" floats around the screen. I've tried every goddamn thing and it simply will not work.

Ah well, at least I got $47.94 applied to my Netflix account. Good by me. Guess it will work when I get home in August.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

teagone posted:

Hmm, have you tried asking a hotel person to see if they could help you out?

These people barely know how to print a receipt, so I'm not even going to waste an elevator trip.

Maybe it's an older model panel? Don't know, but surely don't want to get trapped in the vortex of asking for help. The internet provider at this hotel blocked my work VPN last month. It worked fine up until about 40 days ago.

I called them to investigate. The guy who picked up sounded like he just woke up and was precisely zero help. They insisted they changed nothing. Nope, something changed. Just doesn't work anymore. At all. It's not me.

Little confidence in the solutions here. I'll just exist and bail in a few weeks and never return.

So I stare at the Chromecast, wondering how it works. Fun times.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

So if I went to Best Buy and bought like 8 of these, and returned them, I'd get 2 years of free Netflix?

Think so.

The potential for abuse is huge. :stare: Maybe that's why they ended it in less than 24 hrs.

I just got two codes in my gmail. Applied the first one, returned what I thought was a defective stick. Then got another code. Applied it, not thinking it would work...and it did :stonk:

Morals at risk here, but it works.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
edit: wtf quote wierdness

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I'm certain Roku HQ has an "emergency all hands 8am staff meeting" scheduled for 8am tomorrow.

Seriously. The list of apps and providers that could come soon has to scare the poo poo out of them.

I can't think of a reason for anyone to buy a Roku going forward.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Anyone use their Chromecast with an AirPort Extreme router? I have that router and it doesn't have UPnP. I'm also not going to be home for a few weeks to test, hence my question.

If not, it may be time for a new UPnP capable router.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I was in Best Buy yesterday picking up some random online in store online order and the guy at the counter was emptying out boxes of Chromecasts. He was taping the in store pickup order sheets to each Chromecast. There must have been 40 of them, all reserved for pickup.

The manager was stunned at the whole scene, saying how the product is moving faster than any item in recent memory. They sell out the instant a shipment is checked in.

Price point: nailed
Roku's: on shelf collecting dust

Google's got a runner on their hands.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

You can't really compare a brand new product with something that's been on the market for years and claim it's a great success.

Fair enough. I'd wager it will outsell any current streaming device to date. It's certainly off to a booming start.

Time will tell. People love cheap and easy. The Netflix discount is nice but hardly a barrier to a purchase decision IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Re: heat chat

The manual says heat is normal. I'm just going to use it and not worry. If it fails within a year, that's what the warranty is for. Not worried about it personally. Its not like they didn't test this thing under 24x7 use. Unplugging it is a silly FUD move, IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Roku is scrambling to compete with the $35 wonderstick:

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/08/08/updatedrokuapp/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

FYI, amazon says the chromecast isn't delayed and they had a mistaken date for shipments:

http://chromecasters.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/amazon-says-chromecast-is-not-delayed.html

"Chromecasters" blog from Australia? Seems legit.

In all seriousness, like I said a week ago, this thing is a runner. Google will sell millions, provided they can actually make them fast enough.

They hit the price sweet spot for an insta-purchase. And it's worth it. If supply catches up, they will dominate the streaming device marketshare for some time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Does the chromecast have a built in browser at all?

I'm basically wondering how it operates with click through agreements for hotel wifi systems.

Does not work on hotel networks at all. That and I could never get it to work with my hotel TV due to it being locked down and not accepting HDMI inputs.

Source: me, as I've been in hotels for the past 4 months.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering how I confirmed it doesn't work on a hotel network when the TV HDMI is locked down...I stayed at a different hotel last week where it did work on the TV. Didn't work on the hotel's network where you have to authenticate.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 9, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I'm sad that my chromecast doesn't work at the hotel I'm staying at. I figured it wouldn't but held out hope.

Yeah, I think this is the first thing people think. "Hey, this thing is tiny - I'll plug it into my hotel TV and off I go!" Nope.

Apparently, you can set up a network (if you have an ethernet in the room) using this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFFW/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Here's Google's FAQ on the matter (5th question down)

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3210071?hl=en

Basically, it would require more work than the payoff. I haven't been able to use mine since getting it on the first release day. Been in a hotel the entire time, Chromecast sitting in the box. Should have flipped it :lol:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Nothing quite like spending $30 in gas/wear-n-tear on your vehicle to buy a $35 dollar device.

Rental car and fuel. Expense account :smuggo:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

withak posted:

Sounds like you are in a perfect position to start a revolution in making hotel wifi not suck.

Please do this, Pubes. The hotel I am staying at (and pretty much every one nationwide) works like this:

5am-7am: Goolge Fiber speeds
6pm-7pm: 1.5gbps, if guests are lucky
7pm-10PM: GRIDLOCK MOLASSES. Timeouts and general fuckery. 24 baud at best.
11pm-midnight: 56k if you are lucky

Rinse, repeat. Every day.

Hotel wifi is a disaster. Yeah, it's free, but when you are paying $170+/night, it would be nice to use Netflix or stream my Dish Hopper once in a while (that's not at 6am, thank you).

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 18, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

A lot of chains are implementing a tiered setup where you get a basic slower connection for free, and pay more for a higher speed, with per device caps and whatnot.
I am MEGAPLATINUM at several chains (Marriott, Hilton, etc) and all are equally bad offenders. I have the "premium" login for free, everywhere I stay (provided it's available, which it isn't where I currently am).

But I do see the challenge. Please block torrents. I think that's the issue.

Edit: hotel wifi chat. Belongs somewhere else I guess.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just discovered, while trying to stream college football, that ESPN360.com breaks "stream this tab" functionality. It opens the streaming window in a new browser window that's missing the extensions tab.

Or am I missing something? Tried right clicking on the bar to bring up the extensions tab, didn't work.

HDMI is a nice backup way to put it on my HDTV, but it's a hassle.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Right click on the title bar, select [Show as tab].

Tried that on a Mac, didn't work.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Frequent hotel guests rejoice! Finally a use for the HDMI - to bypass the lovely SD programming on 42" hotel TVs!

Now watch hotels lock down HDMI ports...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

How do you join hotel wifis which usually require authenticating through a web portal?

Ah poo poo. I don't have my Chromecast with me since I'm...wait for it...in a hotel! I thought the cast directly to the Chromecast breaking news meant you could do it directly from phone to CC. Guess having it on the same network is still needed. Oh well.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I have an onhub router. What should it do?

Something about the speaker found during early tear-downs? I guess people thought an OTA would instantly turn it into a Google Home box?

Nah, Google wants your $129 for that.

\/ I was just guessing, not really sure what people are upset that it doesn't do (that was supposedly promised).

Maybe there's something else that has angered nerds? No clue.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 5, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Chomecast Audio multi-room streaming works flawlessly, honestly I can't think of a reason you would choose Sonos over Chromecast audio besides the brand or like being really, really committed to Apple Music.

"Hey Google, Play <x> on <speaker zone>" and your speakers make a Bomp! sound and the audio plays.

So, uh, if ~someone~ has 3 Google Homes in their, well, home, is this possible?

I just tried to create a group with them in it and it doesn't work. Complains about no Chromecast Audio in the group.

It'd be nice to play music synced to all 3 Homes at the same time. Possible or am I thick?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Yes it's possible.

Thanks. I am thick because I never bothered to google it...lazygoon.txt

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7174267?hl=en

Edit, just got them set up. Holy poo poo it's flawless. Sonos is hosed, no idea why anyone would pay for it.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
In bed, dark, freezing, falling asleep.

"Hey google, set Nest to 70 degrees"

Worth the price of admission for me.

:smuggo:

Edit: probably the wrong thread, oops

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread