Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm trying to figure out the best way to play Civilization 6 on my TV with a controller and can't decide between a 25 foot HDMI cable and steam controller (also using a long USB cable for the dongle) or the new Shield. Any recommendations?

I already have a Chromecast Ultra that I use regularly for youtubes and Plex and am very happy with it. Have a PS4 Pro for all my non-civ gaming needs, but I loving love civ and hate playing at a desk. Don't care about Google Play games or other apps/services, but the idea of using a beefier PC for TV gaming, whether it's local or remote, is getting more appealing if the shield works seamlessly.

I am also a big user of Google assistant on my phone (often several times per hour) and like the idea of having that, but didn't get a Google Home because it doesn't support multiple users (wife uses it a lot too).

What would you use if you were me?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

So, after reading up on the "new" Shield a bit, it isn't. It's basically the same thing they did with the Shield tablet. They repackaged the same hardware and sold it as a new SKU. The console part of the Shield is exactly the same as the current one and all existing Shields will get all the new features in an update. That answers the question as to why Dolby Vision was left out, they didn't change the hardware so it couldn't be added.

What is changing is that the controller is redesigned and the whole package is lower price now since they include both the voice remote and controller in box when the remote was an add-on purchase before.

I'm assuming that means the "Spots" will be compatible with the current Shield as well which is kinda cool.

It looks like the cheaper one actually removes features from gen 1 too. No micro SD slot, no ir receiver, no USB 2.0 slot. The new controller looks nice, but that's pretty brutal.

I'm supposed to receive my HDMI cable and steam controller today (though it's getting late..) and if it's not good enough I'll try the Pro, but the price is way overkill for what I need. Luckily for Nvidia I'm a gadget nerd.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

25 foot hdmi cable + steam controller ended up working great for Civ and I just played way too long. Really having trouble rationalizing my interest in the Shield now.

edit: cancelled my pre-order and got a Google Home instead because I am a google fanboy and don't need another gaming system. Now I just have to break it to my wife that it only works with my account. So dumb.

The Gunslinger posted:

Argh what? I hope they let a Harmony controller in some other way.

I think bluetooth might work if I remember correctly? But older harmonys don't support that.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 6, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is there any real difference between Harmony Hub and the hub I got with the Harmony Smart Control? They look identical besides the logo on the top of the Hub.

I would like Home etc to work with it but there's no way in hell I can justify another Harmony remote, especially since someone stole one out of our house not that long ago (an invited guest because we weren't robbed).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle/other mods, can we rename this thread to something more current? Remembering Google's long line of barely supported, forgotten products makes me sad. :(

"Connected home device discussion"?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a draft of a new thread encompassing Google's stuff, I just haven't had the motivation to finish it.

I'll get it done this week.

hopefully

Hope it's not limited to just google stuff, that's why I suggested a more general "Connected home device discussion." I'm a total google fanboy but I now have Logitech Harmony and Phillips Hue set up and waiting for my Google Home whenever it may arrive...

Really happy with Hue stuff btw, totally slick and reliable UI and I finally have light switches for rooms that my 1970s condo never had before.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Actually this brings up something I was thinking about. So, if I'm replacing most of my lights with smart bulbs, when I redo rooms in my 100 year old house, should I be eliminating lightswitches altogether? Does anyone know if electrical code requires there to be lightswitches? Obviously it would simplify the wiring to be able to eliminate them but my primary motivation is eliminating the problem people turning off the switch making the smart light unavailable.

Can't speak for code since I'm sure mine wouldn't apply to you anyway :canada: but I don't feel comfortable removing original light switches entirely, even though I could technically (did alarm systems for a while). I'm just putting the new ones next to the old ones and throwing these on them, mainly for my wife to break the muscle memory.

Looks totally normal having two switches, much like the pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got my Google Home - took two weeks to get from NY to Vancouver. Being able to control all the lights in my home with my voice is fuckin mind blowing as a kid who grew up watching Star Trek. That took seconds to set up and I'm only cracking the surface.

Also very glad to hear it replies to "hey boo boo."

• Locked thread