Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

teagone posted:

I just did a chat with customer support to ask if my promotion code went through (I got an error initially, then when I tried to enter it again, it said I already used the code). The service rep told me the code was applied. Only took like 3 minutes or so to get the confirmation that my free 3 months starts in 2 days.

I did the same. I got an error when applying, then it said it was already used. There is no indication in the system that you have a code or credit.

They said it's there, and that I won't get billed next bill date, lets hope it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Quite a bit more likely than every tv having google TV built in.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI bestbuy has the $35 shipped + netflix back again.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6241672-Chromecast-w-Netflix-code-in-stock-BestBuy-com

When I ordered mine I got it a week later.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

There an Android app called Lakitu I've been using for Twitch purposes. When it works, it's everything you could want from an official app (including 60 fps source quality). Every once in a while it gets a bit janky, but it's worth a try.

Personally I have been using Plex + the Twitch channel to watch Plex on the Chromecast. Thanks for the Lakitu suggestion.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Besides games, what does it do beyond the Chromecast?

Open any Android app that gets built for it. From all appearances this is the Android TV. Games aren't really there yet (unreal engine doesn't yet do what they showed 5 months ago) but it should end up being about equal to a Xbox360/PS3 making it a pretty good gaming platform.

I am disappointed that the controller is sold separately just like the Kindle Fire TV. That really kills it as a gaming device.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

teagone posted:

I had several friends and some family over the other day. There was a mix of iPhones, iPads, Windows 8 tablets, and Android devices hooked up to my WiFi. They all were sharing stuff on my TV seamlessly. This happens a lot at my place via my Chromecast. What do you mean by extremely limited compatibility?

Right now it has very few android apps and not everything from Chromecast works on it yet. Hopefully they'll get everything to stream to it but as of now it's only a few things that work.

http://developer.android.com/preview/tv/adt-1/index.html

"Can I cast to an ADT-1 device?

Yes. The ADT-1 includes Google Cast receiver functionality, similar to Chromecast. Since the ADT-1 is a developer device running a development software release, the Google Cast receiver is open only to a limited number of apps.

Which Cast apps are supported on ADT-1?

As a developer device, the ADT-1 supports casting from only the following apps/websites:

YouTube
Netflix
Google+ Photos
Google Play Movies and TV (Android and iOS only)
Google Play Music
Mirror your Android device screen to ADT-1
Coming soon:

Google Play Movies and TV (Chrome)"

Hopefully it's fixed in retail. Very few Android apps or games have been configured to work for it yet.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

I disagree here due to the following being the formula for the nexus player:
* Cast compatible - so everything you could do on the Chromecast is here
* Plex, presumably with a 10ft interface, is present. This means that a lot of Rasplex and Plex Client users have (admittedly another) option for an interface to use in the lounge and you can get your home movie collection on there.
* a decent set of launch apps, bigger than Apple TV and likely soon to catch up to FireTV
* A physical remote control and on screen user interface... This aids the "girlfriend/wife acceptability factor" more than anything else. If I had my Raspberry Pi with Rasplex (controlled by the TV remote control) and Chromecast attached to the same TV and asked my girlfriend to use Plex, she would pick up the TV remote control and use Rasplex. Also, if we want to pause something, it's easier to snatch a remote and press a button than find a tablet, open the case, turn on the screen and press pause (if it's on the lock screen of course).

Having said that, the only disadvantages so far are:
* no Ethernet
* stingy storage, if this is a problem (and no Google, you cannot say, "the cloud solves all problems", but I will say that it's not been an issue with any STB device so far)

Please wait for reviews.

We don't know if anything you said is true. The developer device successor has none of those things. It doesn't even have Hulu, or Plex unless you subscribe to Plex Pass, or hardly any apps at all, and you can't CC most things to it.

I hope everything you say is true, but we just don't know yet.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Keep in mind that this is not the developer preview device (ADT-1) with all it's warnings about things likely to break, this is intended to be a finished product. With regard to casting, Google created the Cast API to allow it to be used on more devices than just the Chromecast. Indications are that it should support everything that simple a small streaming stick can.

Yes, absolutly. I also just found out the specs for Nexus Player are an Intel Atom, so my experience with the ADT-1 (Tegra K1) also is completely worthless. That news was extremely disappointing for me as I was working on a ADT-1 based game and now all of my optimizations/work are worthless as it's a completely different architecture.

I'm also not surprised as both Unity and Unreal delayed fixes and optimizations for the K1 so K1 actually didn't offer much benefit over anything else.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

would be cool if thhis thing could be the frontend of steamOS. man that would be fully sick

It's an Intel chip so I'm sure someone will do that shortly.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Im outta inputs on my TV. Maybe I can dump the Chromecast for this. What's joystick support like? Can you connect the wireless 360 dongle to an ADT1? I need my NBAJam competitions.

Yes you can connect the wireless 360 dongle to an ADT1. It will even correctly pickup multiple Xbox Controllers. I would assume the wired 360 works also but I haven't tried. Any bluetooth gamepad (PS4/PS3) should also work directly after pairing.

The gamepad with the ADT-1 looks identical to the retail version and it seems like a very good/solid controler except the dpad is around (or slightly worse) than quality of 360 controller (so not good).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rirse posted:

What a good way to play a Chromecast on a spare monitor with audio?

Getting a monitor/tv that takes HDMI and has speakers. Anything else just isn't worth it unless the monitor you have is worth more $100. I looked into splitters/amps/... awhile ago to try to use a monitor that only had DVI and VGA but it just ends up being too much work/expensive compared to just buying a monitor that takes hdmi.

If you have a spare receiver that takes hdmi you could use that to split the video from the sound but I don't think most people have a spare receiver sitting around.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The chromecast is still twice the streamer at half the cost. Only buy it if you are interested in the gaming aspects.

FYI the Nexus Player works also as a Chromecast so it's at least the same streamer not half. In addition it can run apps directly like Netflix\soon to be Hbo Go and has a directly usable remote.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Fruit Chewy posted:

I picked up a Shield TV on Friday to replace my endlessly frustrating nexus player and it's an incredible upgrade.

When you use the controller does it have a toast pop up for controller connected then later say controller disconnected. It's my main gripe with using the ADT-1 (abandoned tegra 4 dev kit precusor to Nexus player that shipped with game controller and no remote).

The popups are annoying as they happen about 20 minutes into every show.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI the Shield TV (which does game streaming from your PC, the internet, is powerful on it's own and should also Chromecast) is on sale today from Amazon and Nvidea for $150 including the Game controller and media remote. Also the new 4k Fire TV is on sale for $75 today.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EC posted:

Is this the place to talk about Nvidia Shield? I just got one and couldn't find a dedicated thread for it, and this seems to be closes thing.

I'm trying to figure how to sideload apps to this drat thing. I enabled developer mode, and both USB and Network debugging is enabled. I can connect to the device via IP using the Nvidia Shield TV Utility app, but when I try to install something it fails, saying I need to authorize my laptop to install things. Apparently this should be a prompt on the Shield, but I never get it. I tried connecting via USB and even though it says it's connected, it says "device failed" when I try to install an apk.

Yes it should pop up a thing where you can accept the encryption key (I've seen it on this device) of the connecting device. Reboot everything and try again while watching the screen of both the Computer and Shield.

If anyone has any questions about the Shield please feel free to ask.

It does do 4k at 60 fps (proven on my Shield/TV). I was able to make a Unity game that ran at 4k 60fps. 4k 60fps is very demanding and about the most I was able to do was a single spinning mesh.

If anyone cares here is a video with an early debug build where I had a few spinning meshes and particles systems and it couldn't keep 4k60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngjQHwTZ9s

Sorry for the quality/voice I never intended to share.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 28, 2015

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

jonathan posted:

Ok what's the better way for gaming on the Nexus player, Xbox 360 controller with pC wireless adapter or Xbox one controller (Bluetooth?) Or do I need the wireless adapter for that too ?

I'll be streaming from PC to Nexus player via nvidia/moonlight.

Xbox1 controller is still a custom connection stack it's just a DIFFERENT custom connection stack so you'd still need an adapter if it would even work on Android. As far as I know the released adapter for Xbox one only works for Windows 10.

Other options any Bluetooth controller, like the fire TV gaming controller a controller from the adt-1, a Wiimote, ds3, ds4, mogo controller. Pretty much everything except the 360 or Xbone controller all are Bluetooth and work. Wired USB controllers probably work too.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Any idea why YouTube and Google play movies playback is severely impacted when cast to my Chromecast, but plays fine on my phone on the same network (also streaming, of course)?

It takes forever to load videos (sometimes gpm doesn't load at all), and the quality doesn't climb above like 240p. YouTube stops to buffer every 10 seconds.

Netflix loads up fine and ramps up to high quality within 15-20 seconds.

I've noticed this in the past couple weeks. What can I check? I've factory reset the Chromecast, rebooted the router and the phone, no luck. It seems to be specifically related to Google's content.

I believe gen 1 Chromecast doesn't have 5ghz wireless. If your 2.4 wireless is slow but 5 is fast that would explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I literally just bought a shield. Paid that much anyway for a 'used' model

Well at $179 it doesn't have a gamepad. At $199 it had both remote and gamepad it's a much better deal at $199 then at $179.

• Locked thread