Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I got my ChromeCast from Amazon on Friday and I've been really liking it so far. I even went down to the local Best Buy on Sunday to get another one, but they were sold out. The casting method of control is really slick and I see huge potential for it. I have the chromecast hooked up to my AV receiver, so I can use it with or without the TV. A tablet and the chromecast make playing DJ a lot of fun. I do have a few complaints/disappointments, though:

- It doesn't work with my Bionic, unfortunately. All the chromecast reviews in the app store from Bionic owners say the same thing. (must be time for a new phone)
- The volume doesn't change if I hit the volume buttons while my screen is locked. It is really annoying to have to unlock to get to change the volume. I didn't realize how much I like that feature of play music until I couldn't do it.
- Netflix has no playback queue. (I never used the android netflix app much before, so maybe it is there somewhere and I just can't find it.) I know this isn't the fault of google or the chromecast, but it just seems so obviously missing.
- There is nothing to stop my roommate from casting stupid youtubes onto my TV when he knows I'm watching it, other than setting up another wifi network that he doesn't know the password to.

But, all in all, the chromecast is pretty loving awesome. It really feels like a super-high-tech from-the-future gadget. I can't wait to see the cool apps that spawn from the SDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

baka kaba posted:

At a guess, this might be because of the whole 'someone can start it and leave, and someone else can keep watching' angle - you aren't necessarily going to be around to notice if the volume's getting bumped in your pocket. Kind of a safer option when you're not controlling a remote device

I figured that was why, I just don't care for how it works. Hopefully we will start seeing some cool apps that allow changing the behavior.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Geno posted:

Has anyone played a PC game then do a stream desktop to TV? How's the performance?

Tried to do this with a friends laptop and performance was like a slideshow with a couple seconds lag. His laptop isn't the fastest ever and I wasn't aware that streaming quality could be lowered, so that might help. Now that I think about it, it was probably a pretty high resolution as well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yesterday, I had a YouTube casting session with two people sharing the queue and it worked great. I couldn't get it work before, so maybe the new YouTube app fixed/enabled it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

What mix of devices were people using? My girlfriend has an iPhone, I have a Galaxy Nexus, and she can't see the TV Queue.

Two of the new Nexus 7s. Should be able to try another couple devices tonight, but probably not an iPhone. Is her youtube app version 5? (I don't know if that matters or if v5 is out for iOs, though)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

Two of the new Nexus 7s. Should be able to try another couple devices tonight, but probably not an iPhone. Is her youtube app version 5? (I don't know if that matters or if v5 is out for iOs, though)

Managed to try out multi-user YouTube queue with 2x Nexus 7 and an iPhone 4s. When my roommate connected the 2nd Nexus midway through, it cleared the entire queue, which was disappointing. At some point, one of the 7s lost access to the currently playing/queue information. It could still queue stuff up, though. Otherwise, everything worked pretty nicely.

In related news, the house PS3 died, so the ChromeCast has been getting a lot of use. It has reinforced my opinion that Netflix really needs a queue or at least automatic next episode playing.

vvv Definitely does next episode with PS3

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2013

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

XIII posted:

Grrrrr, I dropped by Best Buy today and got a Chromecast, but the audio is choppy as gently caress. Casting from my laptop, tablet, or phone all get the same results. My internet connection is really good and the TV is right next to the router, so I don't know wtf. Pretty frustrating. Is there a particular wifi security type that plays nicer?

Edit: video is fine, but it sounds like I have the world's worst DJ handling the audio.

Double Edit: Casting from Netflix (on my laptop) seems to work fine. This is even more frustrating because casting from YouTube is 90% of why I wanted it.

Possibly it will auto-update and fix itself, but you might want to just exchange it for a new one. I don't think choppy audio is a common complaint.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

wa27 posted:

It took me forever to realize that you need another wifi device to set up the Chromecast. That was made tougher because the setup doesn't work on the Droid Razr (at least it didn't at launch). I had to borrow someone's laptop.

Droid Razr does work now - I helped a friend setup his Chromecast a week ago. His laptop wouldn't switch back to his home network reliably, and he ended up doing the setup (successfully) from his Razr instead.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

lostleaf posted:

I've had the chromecast for a week now and love it. However, I seem to have problems with keeping the TV queue up in the notification bar with both the youtube app and the netflix app. Is there anyway to access the queue after the app gets closed on the tablet or phone?

I've had trouble with this too, though it hasn't happened in awhile. I thought it might have been fixed. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the queue back when it happens, unfortunately. For YouTube, at least. I didn't know there was a queue for Netflix. How do you get to it when it works?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Have a super beefy PC. A wired connection from the PC could help if your wifi is the limitation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

So I ran into this: https://github.com/mustafaakin/cast-localvideo

And it actually works! I had to get Chrome 33 (beta channel) to make it work, despite the readme saying 32 is ok. No seek controls yet, unfortunately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Finally! A hack to "hack" them all! Can't wait to spend a good chunk of time on this so I can cast video via my Google ChromeCast. Good find!

The install actually was real smooth (except the chrome 33 thing) despite being manual. Just do the steps in the readme (ffmpeg in path, nodejs, npm install) and "node app" to run.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

Unfortunately the only WiFi I have here is a hotspot that requires you to sign in with a web browser and it appears the Chromecast doesn't support those.

I doubt it would be convenient, but I think you could clone the MACID of the chromecast and sign in with a PC. Then turn off the PC wireless and power on the chromecast.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Most (all?) of the apps will let you disconnect from the cast button/menu. Then it goes back to the home screen.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is audio choppy with Play Music too?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Seems like it would be hard for the ISP to gently caress up the low bandwidth requirements of just audio. Testing on another TV does seem like a good idea.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Slimchandi posted:

Are there any options for dimming the screen when casting from Play Music? I find the quality is much higher than via Bluetooth, but the screen is glaring away at me the entire time.

I don't think there is a way to dim the chromecast's video output (in play music or anything else AFAIK). You could turn the backlight/brightness settings on the TV way down, which is not really ideal, but might be worth it depending on how often you want to do this.

I use my chromecast with a receiver, so I turn the TV off like amenenema said.

There are devices that will split audio out of an HDMI signal, but that is starting to get complicated and you could just get a cheap receiver on ebay. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage (I just randomly found a forum post saying this thing could do it, there might be cheaper/better tools.)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

So the cast icon never shows up in the Netflix android app, since about a week ago. I've tried on my Droid Maxx and Nexus 7. I've been casting from the Netflix website on a PC as a workaround - the cast icon shows up there like it always has. I've tried a force-stop on Netflix, which used to work when Netflix would lose track of the chromecasts in the past. I've also tried clearing Netflix's cache/data, rebooting the phone/tablet, and power-cycling the router, access-point, and chromecasts.

Casting works fine in Google Play Music and Youtube on Android. The Chromecast app detects the chromecasts right away. Has anyone else run into this?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

amenenema posted:

So is this better than Plex?

I like it because it is simple and to the point. I don't have a huge library of movies, and when I want to use it, I just want to be able to pick a file and play a video. I don't think it will ever "beat" plex because it has a different goal.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Why does the MLB ap refuse to see my chromecast now? Great timing.

Try rebooting your phone, that usually fixes things for me when an app can't find a chromecast.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I guess I'm a little confused - Is there a new video (normal) chromecast or just the audio one?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

wa27 posted:

Audio chromecast is a nice idea, but I don't see why I should upgrade to it over one of these bluetooth receivers, which I currently use with my stereo and costs 1/3 the price. On one hand it wouldn't drain my phone's battery like bluetooth would, and it would give a longer range. But it would be less convenient than BT in a lot of ways: only works with certain apps, can't play music stored locally on phone, have to be on wifi to use it.

It almost feels like they should have also made it a bluetooth receiver and made it an all-in-one method of connecting your phone to your stereo. Either that or added an audio out jack to the chromecast and just made it one device.

I like that I can continue to use my phone for other things, and still have local audio. But that is a pretty minor thing.

Ordered one of the new new chromecasts, despite having 3 of the old ones.

e: and now a Unifi Pro to get that sweet 5GHz

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 29, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

nimper posted:

God I wish they would backport this to the 2014 X.

Seriously. This type of thing is what I expected from active display since the beginning. In reality, it is limited to "you have an email/txt".

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Has anyone used the multi-room audio and also Sonos? How does it compare?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

1. I don't know of a way to avoid the ads without youtube red. If you used a tool to download the youtube videos ahead of time, you could play those to the CC with Videostream.
2. The video chip in the CC is limited to 30Hz, so no.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

apowe posted:

Would having the new Chromecast puck sitting flat on my TV stand (using an HDMI extension cable) cause any problems with overheating and/or weaker wifi reception? Since it's designed to be hanging freely, I wanted to ask before buying one.

I'm very put off by the way it just dangles. My TV's ports are on the side, and I've had problems with regular old HDMI cords being loose (moving just enough to periodically lose connection). I have little faith that the Chromecast would stay secure... and even if it did, the way it hangs still bothers me.

That is exactly how mine is setup and it has great reception.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Is there only the Google one, or is there a good 3rd party one?

I could only find the google one when I bought one a few weeks ago.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is Chromecast audio able to sync same-room audio across multiple devices like Sonos (with no echo)? Can it do left/right stereo pairs? If so, I think I need to get me some and (surprise) google isn't very good at presenting their device.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I had accidentally set Netflix to low bandwidth and it drove me crazy for a while trying to figure out why 5.1 wasn't an option.

In videostream I think passthrough audio is disabled by default.

• Locked thread