Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Oh, just noticed it says Offer expired on July 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM PST. so there ya go.

I ordered at 5:47 EST (2:47 PST) on the 24th and didn't see any mention of the Netflix offer on Amazon when I ordered. I'll be curious if it actually comes in.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I just got mine in the mail a few hours ago, and I'm quite impressed. Setup took less than five minutes, even though I'm usually inept at stuff like this.

The Netflix/YouTube support is cool and it works fine, but I have a ton of methods of watching both of those.

The mirroring is really where this will come in handy. I have been able to watch video from every site I've attempted, many of which are blocked from every other method I've seen of watching on TV. HBO Go is especially nice, since Directv blocks the app on my roku. My only hope is that soon, many sites will start to use the cast button so that you aren't having to continue playing the video on your laptop and the chrome cast at the same time.

It won't replace my Apple TV 2, but I will probably give my Roku away, since this does everything I use it for in a better manner.

Question - Is there a way to turn the chromecast off? It seems to run rather hot, so I'd prefer to put it to sleep or turn it off when it isn't needed, rather than unplugging it entirely.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 27, 2013

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Has anyone experienced issues with the Chromecast app killing your android battery? I ran it for maybe 3 minutes earlier today, just to test it out with Netflix...two hours later it was the largest user of my battery power for the entire day.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Jensen posted:

Do you have a gs4 and was the battery usage under Google services?

I do have a GS4, but the usage was actually showing as the Chromecast app itself.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 28, 2013

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Jensen posted:

There is some speculation there is something up specifically with the GS4 and chromecasting. Every single time I cast on my GPe GS4 my battery will melt itself unless I restart the phone.

Good to know. It just so happened that I got a new extended battery on the day that I set up the Chromecaster, so I was really disappointed with the battery life. Now that I've deleted the app, I didn't even use 50% of my battery over the course of the day.

Fortunately, I planned on using my ipad as the main input source for my chromecaster...but it would still be nice to use the phone occasionally. I'd have to think they'll get it fixed though...I guess that's the advantage of having an insanely popular phone.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="417894601"]
I have a Roku, and it sucks dick. It's super slow in both loading and with the interface. I hated using it any time I wanted to watch Netflix or use Plex. I think others would be frustrated with their Rokus enough to try something small, cheap, and fast.

I would agree. I have an Apple TV and love it's functionality, but the roku frustrates me everytime I try to use it. As you said, it's extremely slow and lags when making movements. The worst part for me though is the Netflix functionality. I absolutely hate the layout they use and find it nearly impossible to track something down that isn't sitting at the top of my queue. The Apple app is much better, so is my ipad/phone.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

From what I gather it's basically a semi-dumb streaming stick that you point towards an internet source with your phone/tablet/computer? Outside the screencasting feature, that is. Just you hit the button that says "hey Chromecast, go play this" and Chrome goes "okay! *plays*" and boom, cats on your TV?

Or is it radically different? I ordered one (all BBY stores in Omaha are sold out) and am waiting on it but I'm wondering how far they can push this thing in the future.

You're pretty much correct. I think most of the excitement is about what the future holds for the device. Now that it's already being classified as a hit, you have to imagine that sites all over the internet are going to start making it easy to connect to it.

For Netflix, it's already worlds better than the Roku for me. The simplicity of this device is fantastic. I'm really quite happy with it.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

merk posted:

Does Chromecast work with Sho Anytime? One of the major gripes I have with AppleTV is that you can't do anything with Sho Anytime.

It works, but only through mirroring. You can mirror anything that you can get on your browser though.

On another subject - I finally got some kind of confirmation from Amazon about the netflix gift code. They sent me an email today advising that I qualified and I'd have the code in the next five days.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 30, 2013

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Shroomie posted:

My phone sure does like to close the Netflix lockscreen controls. Not sure if it's my ROM (Paranoid Android) or something else. Anybody else having that problem?

I have a stock GS4 and have similar issues. It's not a huge problem, but it's an annoyance for sure.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

On the subject of heat, is there a way to put the Chromecast into sleep mode, or to turn it off in between uses? I haven't used it since last night, and it's hot to the touch right now. I'd like to leave it plugged in, but in not feeling so comfortable about that now.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

They screwed this one up quickly. Everyone I spoke to who purchased this was at least partially interested because of the potential for Plex, XBMC, etc.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

People do that now though with their HBO sub, it just costs slightly more. I can drop and add HBO with a checkbox on my provider's website.

I know plenty of people who don't even do that. They sign up for 3 free months of HBO, plow through everything they missed for the year on HBO Go, then cancel. Repeat the process next year, never pay for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Has anyone had issues with using a Galaxy S4 to play Netflix movies to the Chromecast? Everything has been working fine for months, but yesterday it suddenly wouldn't work and I haven't been able to get a movie to play since that point.

I can cast movies fine from my computer, but the phone is not working. I tried a factory reinstall of the Chromecast and I updated the Netflix app, but it's still not working.

• Locked thread