Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
It's also extremely portable. I finally have something to watch at my parent's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Managed to snag one online today at BB.com and just got my Netflix code, woohooo...

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

EugeneJ posted:

...so the Netflix offer is still good as long as you order from Best Buy?

No idea about B&M.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
For some reason, when I do a stream from tab, my dad's MBP 2011 has better quality than my MBA 2013. The quality from my MBA is horrible, like vertical interlacing if that makes sense. Any ideas?

e: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/299891-how-get-chrome-tabs-play-nice-haswell-macbook-air-2013-a.html#post2951191 fixed prob

Geno fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 3, 2013

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

wa27 posted:

Two or three years ago I would have agreed, but now it seems that every TV, blu-ray, and game console has Netflix built in so I'm not sure how many people like that are out there anymore. In fact, I'd say those people would rather have something they can browse with a remote rather than something controlled with their computer or smartphone.

The main thing I like is its portability and wi-fi capability.

I was at my parent's house this weekend with a good TV but no internet connected to it. The CC solved this issue and even allowed me to watch Twitch streams on it.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Has anyone played a PC game then do a stream desktop to TV? How's the performance?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Netflix/YT worked perfectly on my parent's Netgear router from like 2010.
The casting from tab was a little wonky from my dad's 2011 MBP but it worked fine on my 2013 MBA.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Mthrboard posted:

Well that blows. I bought two, one for the bedroom, one for the living room, thinking I could get 6 months of free Netflix. I don't remember seeing anything in the terms & conditions about limit 1 per customer. If I could get the code to work again, I could just sign up again in ~3 months with a different e-mail, but then I'd lose my recommendations.

Yeah, it's just limited to one per account. Stacking codes is always one of the first questions everyone wonders with promotions

Netflix Offer Terms & Conditions

Offer available while supplies last. Valid for 3 months of Netflix service on the $7.99 (a month) Unlimited Streaming plan (for total value of $23.97). Valid for previous, new and existing Netflix members. A computer or other device that streams from Netflix (manufactured and sold separately) and broadband Internet connection are required to watch instantly. Offer is not redeemable or refundable for cash, subject to applicable law, and cannot be exchanged for Netflix Gift Subscriptions. You may apply the value of the offer to a different plan, or other services offered by Netflix. Exchanges in this manner may alter the duration of the offer. Limit of one promotion will be applied toward each monthly membership fee for your Netflix account. Netflix offer expires 12/31/13. For details, please visit https://www.netflix.com/termsofuse.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/21/fling-java-tool-streams-local-pc-media-to-chromecast-uses-vlc-to-transcode-practically-any-format/

Anyone try this yet?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Goddamnit, Fling doesn't work anymore for me :notfunny:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Parlett316 posted:

Ok I just hooked mine up. So all I can do is youtube and netflix? I have a iPhone if that matters.

Some pretty good timing since iOS support came on Monday?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Yeah, it's definitely a luxury. Portability is a huge plus since I can use it at my parents who don't have anything except internet.

I'm hoping Google announces something big soon regarding it. The last thing they did was lock the sdk so some of those third-party apps to play our own files were disabled :megaman:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/13/hbo-go-shows-up-as-supported-chromecast-app-in-google-support-page/

HBO Go incoming

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

FogHelmut posted:

Or maybe they have secret contracts with media providers to not allow other services that could compete. :tinfoil:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Mons Hubris posted:

So can you use this to beam ESPN3 or similar streaming services like this to your TV via the Chrome browser even if there isn't a dedicated app for it?

Yes but the performance depends a bit on your computer and network specs.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1r656p/google_hosting_chromecast_hackathon_in_early/

A glimmer of hope...

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

FogHelmut posted:

Plex requires a PlexPass subscription so it's really just bullshit.

edit- I don't even know what 90% of those other things are.

Plex requiring a sub makes me think it won't be awhile until the SDK is open

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

El Scotch posted:

I just got my chromecast yesterday. Very easy to install but I was saddened to discover it doesn't function on the 5ghz band; 2.4 is majorly over-saturated in my building. That said, the 2.4 did seem to work ok.

Anyone outside the US found a way to fake a US IP on their iPad? I want to use it to stream US netflix but I haven't found a way yet. :smith:

I think you'd have to fake the IP on the CC. I've tried to watch non-USA Netflix stuff on my CC and it doesn't work (while it works fine on my PC).

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
When you stream from desktop, the sounds is synced with your computer so the lag makes it horrible for even watching videos.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

1st AD posted:

You sure about that? I've cast live stuff from Ustream before and it seems like the sound is perfectly in sync, and in fact when you first cast there's a small delay between the video in your tab and the casted video on your TV and I'm assuming they do it so sync isn't hosed.

It'd still suck for playing anything that isn't a turn-based RPG though.

Casting the tab works fine for me but it's casting from desktop. I tried playing stuff in VLC and using the cast desktop but the sound was outta sync.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I would probably say 99% of CC users didn't get it for the desktop streaming

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's talk on Plex's forums that they may not actually let everyone use Plex on Chromecast until probably 5-6 months from know considering all of their features they promised to have available to all months ago.

This isn't surprising at all.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

lazydog posted:

Audio works for me with full screen casting.

It's output by the PC, no?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/215mwg/streaming_from_twitch_chrome_extension/

Chrome extension to CC Twitch.tv. Tried one stream and it worked perfectly.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I've been using it for a couple weeks. Sometimes I gotta turn off my firewall in order for it to work but it's pretty much my go-to app for playing local media.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Nybble posted:

The timing with WatchESPN is spooky!

Probably for the WC next week.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

kri kri posted:

I would kill for NBC live extra casting but its nowhere to be found.

Agreed. Unless other android sticks let you cast stuff from NBA LP or NBC Live Extra (without having to use tab cast), I have no reason to ever leave my Chromecast. Videostream alone is pretty much worth it.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Videostream is best

http://www.getvideostream.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK