Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Harminoff posted:

Hey look the videostream android app is actually becoming useful!

http://imgur.com/a/9B2Ll

Beta owns, now I don't have to get off the couch to change media.

Hah, -19 degrees. No wonder you watch tv and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

The Nexus Player works with HDHomeRun in Android M which is kind of making me want to get one now. Could it do that before? Because I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYdf5YaeHA&t=51s

Android M has mpeg2 hardware decoding which was not included in prior builds. HDHomerun application is churning along using Software decoding without it and struggles hardcore with HD video. It's also why the screen is black but has audio when using the Live TV Application.

Also I just bought 2 Nexus Players solely because of that video; Best Buy also happens to be selling them for $70 at the moment. I'm going to retire my Raspberry Pi and HTPC to other uses and use that Live TV application and Kodi for my local media. Actually having confirmation that Mpeg2 was supported was the clincher for me as I knew the HDHomerun would be the biggest issue.

And I don't loving watch cable outside of a sports game once and a while. loving grognards I live with :argh:

I'll have to figure out the proper means of installing the dev build. Would be nice if Google would just allow you to update to the latest beta builds OTA. Cyanogenmod certainly figured out how to do nightlies within Android itself.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I just loaded Android M onto my Nexus Player and I can confirm HDHomerun's app does pipe the channels through successfully to the Android TV application. The HD channels seem to be working decently enough over Wifi, only minor crystallization here and there. I'm sure that is related to the fact that the Wifi transmitter and Nexus Player are 3 floors apart. Only one channel isn't loading: Comedy Central. But I'm not sure what exactly is causing the issue.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

Any other changes ? Appearance wise ?

Not really, Android M looks identical to the stock software. Far as I'm aware Android M is more or less a bugfix release across all devices.

Edit: Also I found that my problem with Comedy Central not loading is related to the HDHomerun Application getting lovely with it rather than the Android TV. Using the HDHomerun app has it load, it just takes like a full 60 seconds.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 3, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Really nifty that you can just voice command "channel (Number here)" and it will switch there.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed you can splice poo poo like Pluto.TV into the Live TV application guide. Something that is loving amazing in all honestly. However how do you manually add poo poo in? I'd like to load webstreams like Aljazeera English in. Anyone have a link to documentation about how to do this? Googling just brings up poo poo like CNET articles describing the Nexus Player.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'll hop in and say my Netflix is hosed on my stock Nexus Player, the other running Android M doesn't yet have that problem. It's all about the specific version of the Netflix application. There is a lot of discussion over on XDA about it.

One of my problems that I find very annoying is the music applications. Google Music, Youtube and an unofficial Spotify application all get static I play music. I have the TV hooked up via HDMI and then wires to my 90s Stereo. If I Chromecast the music apps from my phone or computer it has no problems with static, the native ones however are poo poo.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 19, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

IuniusBrutus posted:

Maybe I'll try flashing M to mine, then.

I'd not recommend it. I get fuckloads of errors about Bluetooth dropping out and apps fail left and right. It's not a daily driver yet. I use M solely because it has the Mpeg2 codec license I need for my HDHomerun. The stock box uses the InstaTV app that rolls with software decoding.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

IuniusBrutus posted:

:saddowns: i just want to use netflix jfc

Well lets say I'm using the first dev build of Android M, they released a second dev build recently and I have not bothered to update to it because the one and only post I saw talking about it said the Bluetooth Remote was unresponsive on it. But he may be talking about the error I already have.

Ultimately I can't really state whether Android M would be good for you or not, your best bet is actually putting it onto your device and watching what happens. Even though we both have the same device it still can yield different results.

As for Netflix I've heard of people getting APK from Smart TV and side loading it since theirs is ahead/behind and just freeze the app from updating.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm looks like Dev Build 3 of Android M is delayed. I was hoping that it would clean up the most egregious bugs that the Nexus Player is suffering from.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm kind of a blockhead with this. I've never used Bluetooth anything until a month ago. I'm running Arch Linux on a Chromebox and managed to get the Bluetooth operational. Is it possible to use my Nexus Player as a reciever of an audio sink from this Linux box? The Nexus Player is hooked up to a stereo I'd like to use for music as well as TV.

I know I can send from the Nexus Player to Pulse Audio without a hitch. Android confuses me.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-google-nexus-media-streaming-player-by-asus

Nexus Players being sold for $50 on Groupon. Pretty good deal honestly.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Nexus Player is held back because of the software. Nearly all of it 3rd party being slow to act build their apps for the Leanback launcher. Eventually it will happen as the AndroidTV market gets bigger. It's still quite usable but early days for any device are kinda rough. Android M is going to sort out almost all of the Google/Android side problems.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know if those running Android M dev builds will have to manually update to the Stable build or will it automatically push the build tomorrow?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I seriously want to know how this CC device is used. It sounds like the most useless poo poo ever. I've used the cast feature a singular time to watch a UFC fight from one of the stream sites. Every other function was done by native built in apps.

Don Lapre posted:

Amazon is paying $54 in trade for a nexus player with kodi preinstalled so I'm buying all the $25 units I can find.

The hell? It's on the loving Play Store these days. They must be referring to having the TV streams repos and apps added in.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I take it the loss of Ethernet support on Android N is a bug?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I'm wondering if the Nexus Player will be able to handle that. It may be time for me to shelve those things. Using the HDHomerun app has always been a pain in the rear end with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Just updated my NP to Oreo. It runs like poo poo don't do it. I'll factory reset it to see if that will stop the low FPS on the main menu but I doubt it will. NP just doesn't have enough ram. The menu preview thing is rather lame when using a HDHomerun because it takes a few seconds to buffer when looking at the tiles.

• Locked thread