Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Shouldn't it work if you're connected to the same network, wifi or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Has anyone figured out how to add an AC3 decoder to Chrome? That take care of my :filez: needs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I picked one up at Best Buy a couple weeks ago, you just gotta call and make sure.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I haven't done testing to confirm this, but I have a lovely C2D laptop that doesn't do a great job of sending flash streams (inside Chrome) to the Chromecast, the audio sync is off by something like 500ms and I have to drop the resolution to SD to get it to play correctly. My i7 system has no such problems. So maybe it's a computer issue?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I would just set up a Plex server and cast Plex from Chrome, since it'll transcode as needed and you won't have to worry about having the right codecs (especially if you have anything with AC-3 audio).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

gariig posted:

Unless you literally cut the cable to your place by walking outside with garden shears cutting the coax running to your house you can get clearQAM channels. They are unencrypted channels that are free if you put a coax into your TV. If you are watching local content there's also OTA antenna like the good, old days.

This isn't true for a lot of people. The only QAM channels I can get are all local Mexican broadcasts and due to geography I can't receive clear enough OTA signals for TV.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I really doubt it, and even if it worked the latency would be horrendous.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You sure about that? I've cast live stuff from Ustream before and it seems like the sound is perfectly in sync, and in fact when you first cast there's a small delay between the video in your tab and the casted video on your TV and I'm assuming they do it so sync isn't hosed.

It'd still suck for playing anything that isn't a turn-based RPG though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

kri kri posted:

You can create a "home movies" section which will let you do this. Its not that elegant though.

My trip report from this weekend is essentially its not ready for prime time. Scrubbing through the video doesn't work, it just freezes, and basically none of my files are supported for direct play which means it makes my server die even on SD files.

Plex transcodes almost everything on the fly so your ability to scrub depends greatly on your computer. I haven't tried it with the Chromecast since I have a Roku with a Plex app, but it works great for what it is and is a good workaround to Chrome's inability to play AC3 audio.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I bet most people have something like a C2D though and trying to run Plex Server off that must be an exercise in frustration.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Plex is a fantastic product but you need to have a good internal network and a pretty beefy computer to transcode stuff on the fly. Trying to do 12mbit with a C2D box over a crappy 802.11g network isn't going to go over well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The iOS app works on the iPhone, but it won't cast with any device.

There's no Android app unless you have a Kindle because Amazon sucks that way.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well they also run their own Android app store (separate from Google's) and try to strongarm developers into giving them deals or freebies so that they can access the hundreds of Kindle users out there.

They're basically trying to do their own Android fork but don't have the market share or manufacturing capacity to make it count.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yes because the Smart TV hub is slow as balls and has crappy UI for every app.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I wonder if the ISP is throttling connections to Google somehow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The only reason why I even have a Chromecast right now is because I can cast my desktop to it. If a Google TV can work like a Roku does AND can receive casts, then that'd be even better.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nobody wants or knows about any of that. Especially wired Ethernet, christ

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno, my janky old Roku 2 plays HD just fine after buffering SD for like half a minute or so.

Are you able to get HD when playing on any other device using the same connection? I know some of my friends are seeing their connections to Netflix being throttled by the ISP despite having like 20mbps down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My Roku 2 is kind of lovely lately, Amazon Prime and Hulu glitch out when I finish an episode and thumbnails stop loading until I exit and relaunch. Is this an issue with the newer models?

I really like the Apple TV, but lack of Amazon precludes it from being my primary streamer.

• Locked thread