Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

hotsauce posted:

They are in-store now.

So I returned the first Chromecast I got from BB. Thought it was defective because the hotel TV wouldn't display an image. I held down the reset button on the stick for 26 seconds, it rebooted. The Chrome "restoring to factory defaults" appeared. Then, nothing.

Got another one. Same exact thing, so it's the terrible hotel TV I guess. Strange as the reset dialogue shows fine, then the screen flashes green and ... nothing. "No Signal" floats around the screen. I've tried every goddamn thing and it simply will not work.

Ah well, at least I got $47.94 applied to my Netflix account. Good by me. Guess it will work when I get home in August.

I went through a very similar problem with my Roku, boot screen then no signal. Replacement Roku had the same problem so I was just going to give up and blame my TVs. Turned out that an HDMI plug can feel like it is plugged in all the way but it needs a little more pressure to fully seat to establish whatever signal change happens from boot screen to the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Okay I might be one of the only people on earth that owns and likes a Google TV device but as far as I can tell now Chromecast is just a lovely GoogleTV for $65 less without the web browser, app support and without HDMI pass through which is actually super nice and instead has more limited media support by Google edict.

I feel like I totally understood Chromecast when it first launched and would have one if I could have ordered a first launch version online with the Netflix offer but now it seems like Google has two kind of broken products one of which is majorly flawed but is kind of surprisingly functional and another version that stripped all of the kind of functional and useful parts away from it for a realitively minor cost savings.

At first the talk was that Google was abandoning Google TV in favor of Chromecast but now that Google has said that they are rolling Chomecast functionality into Google TV and are stripping out functionality out of Chromecast that Chromecast is more of a taste of Google TV that is more in danger of being abandoned.

Is Chomecast nothing more than hitting the button in my YouTube iPhone app that overrides my TiVo HDMI and plays the video except without the overriding and button works with Netflix (which already has a native Google TV app)?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is it even fewer ads? I have Hulu Plus and still got 5 commercials at every break when I watched a few shows over the weekend.

It used to have fewer ads but it's now so full of ads that I've been considering canceling. Especially since I now have a 4 tuner DVR and the Hulu subscription was mostly to handle things when my tuners were busy. Which brings me to my next question, I was surprised to see the Chromecast button in Netflix with my new TiVo which doesn't show up in HBO Go or with my Google TV although it does in YouTube with both but there is no Chromecast button in HBO Go.

My understanding is that both TiVo and Chromecast are using something called DIAL which is why it is showing up in Netflix but I'm perplexed with HBO Go, is Chomecast using some weird half-standard where some applications will support it but not other devices or is it just paranoid/unprepared app developers and we will start to see this functionality in things like DVD players, DVRs, audio receivers and TVs as more of an open standard?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I think my same question stands although I was mistaken on HBO Go, YouTube and Netflix work great with DAIL support on my TiVo, Is Chromecast something different than the standard TiVo is using or is it just a device to popularize the standard.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

teagone posted:

Wait, going back to your previous post, you see the Chromecast button while watching Netflix content on your TiVO? Can you screencap that? I'm not sure if what Google uses is explicitly DIAL, but from what I read it's pretty similar because I remember reading another article detailing that Roku plans on imitating what the Chromecast does soon via DIAL or something.

The Chomecast button doesn't show up on my Tivo but it seems to work the same way on my TiVo as on the Chromecast device.

Weirdly in YouTube the same button shows up in YouTube but it adds my Google TV:

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 7, 2013

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

teagone posted:

Oh, well that makes sense. Didn't TiVO introduce that feature recently? It basically recreates what the Chromecast and Apple TV (via AirPlay) does. I thought you legit saw the actual Chromecast button.

I thought the Box with signal signs was the actual Chromecast button.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Nope that's a catchall button image for "make media come out of somewhere that is not this device" that is pretty misleading considering it also gets used for selecting Bluetooth audio out in the music app too.

So Chromecast support is going to be merged into my Google TV but it is going to be completely separate from whatever is enabling almost the exact same functionality in my TiVo and Google TV now with a different icon?

I guess I don't understand what the hell the Chromecast is, is it a platform, the embodiment of a standard or a standalone product?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 7, 2013

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

teagone posted:

It's a $35 device that lets people stream content from YouTube, Netflix, Google Play, Hulu Plus, and PCs & Macs via the Chrome browser on their TV. I don't get what's so hard to understand about that.

Your Google TV box is getting Chromecast functionality, but it looks like your TiVO does everything you need. I could see you getting a Chromecast for a TV in your home that doesn't have a TiVO Roamio or Google TV box connected to it though.

I understand what the Chromecast device is, I'm not bashing the Chromecast, it's cost or functionality, I'm just trying to understand what Google's plan is seeing as they co-developed DIAL which Chromecast apparently uses. My question is if Chromecast is a separate platform or a branding of DIAL which other manufactures are implementing or planing on implementing.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 7, 2013

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The apps aren't there yet, if we see Time Warner/Comcast streaming apps and/or the anticipated IPTV services from Dish/Sony, maybe even Slingplayer or TiVo it is a solid, solid replacement for set top boxes.

But I thought those apps would be there for the Fire TV and Google TV so...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

One surprise with the Nexus Player for me is no mention of USB camera/Hangout support. After a million false starts consumers are video chatting now and hangout support would get this in a lot of homes of grandparents.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I have a Chromecast in my living room and Rokus in my kitchen and bedroom, Roku's function overlaps my DVR too much but streaming music and other content to my living room TV is really nice, I have no plans to add a Chromcast to the two other TVs or a Roku to the living room.

I just have no desire to cast movies from my phone/tablet to my TV, the interface is wonky, I want a remote and a clear on screen interface. I guess that is Android TV if they can get content on board.

Is Roku just super easy to develop for or have some sort of awesome DRM? I know they have a fair chunk of the market but I doubt such a staggering amount that so many developers prefer the platform and nothing else.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 15, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Oh poo poo, I've had my Chromecast for a while now and boom, $20 in free Google Play credit, that wasn't a promo that existed when I bought it. Is it just me or does Google give Play credit out like candy? I had a minor technical support issue not to long ago and they gave me $20 for that, I managed to screw up the Chrome Play Music All Access promo (I didn't realize I had to go through that website and just signed up on my Tablet after adding the Chromcast to my account) and they gave me the entire promo in Play credit + the regular tablet promo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MeKeV posted:

I've got some of the lg speakers already, this will make them much more useful, as I can currently only use google music if I revert to Bluetooth.

The casting thing doesn't work yet, but I've got my fingers crossed someone figures out how to hack get it working before spring....I don't know if it will be down to a full speaker firmware update, the lg app update or just the google music app?

Audio casting works basically the same way as videocasting, it completely off loads the streaming to a local client in the speaker, a firmware update is highly unlikely, it likely needs significantly more horsepower than even Airplay.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Well it seems like the Now people got the short end of the stick.

Ehh..

HBO Go probably relies heavily on cable co edge servers

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This is probably an idiotic thing to partially base a decision on but I'm thinking about getting a Nexus Player, does it do the photo screensaver thing like the Chromecast? I've actually come to really enjoy it, actually I will leave my TV on just for it so it will factor in between getting another Roku or a Nexus Player.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OK now that Chromecast Audio has multi-speaker support picking up a couple next week. Is multi-room Chromecast Audio exclusive or can I group my living room Chromecast in since it already has a regular Chromecast?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

As one of the view people on earth that own an Google TV box why can't we have HDMI pass-through again? I will happily buy an Android TV as soon as I don't have to add yet another box to my setup. PIP, apps, Now on Tap, just let me pass through from my TV, I don't want to buy a smart TV and I don't want to juggle boxes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Pay for Google music/YouTube red. It's worth it.

Absolutely by far the best value in streaming music today once you consider YouTube Red. Play Music All Access is pretty great and a good value even before you get to stripping the ads off of YouTube. Honestly I would pay more for it if they jacked up the price.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Speaking to Android Police, two sources claim that Google will announce its Google Home and the 4K 'Chromecast Ultra' devices will be priced at $129 and $69, respectively, at its October 4th event.

Hmmm, I was fully expecting Google Home to be in the $200+ range, I may have to seriously reconsider the 4 Amazon Dots I pre-ordered.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Just pulled the trigger on a Google Home, $30 off is just too good to pass up. My father insisted this year on making us have a gift list instead of a fake gift attached to cash so Echo Dots and Google Home were already is on my list so fingers crossed that he wanted to buy me Echo Dots for my house instead of Google Homes for which I need a max of two.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a Google Home, $30 off is just too good to pass up. My father insisted this year on making us have a gift list instead of a fake gift attached to cash so Echo Dots and Google Home were already is on my list so fingers crossed that he wanted to buy me Echo Dots for my house instead of Google Homes for which I need a max of two.

My black friday Google Home came today and it is awesome, I was going to order some Amazon dots today but backed off after I set it up and ordered the Chromecast audios for the rest of my house. Music quality is surprisingly good and even more surprisingly good is the coverage, the Google Home in my living room can hear me from my bathroom and kitchen perfectly well and I can hear it as well.

Couldn't be happier, would buy a third if I thought I needed it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OK now that I have had them installed for a while if you are considering a Google Home get it right now. I have one in my living room and one in my bedroom and could not be happier. Multiroom audio with Chromecast is amazing as is waking up, telling it to snooze and then read you the news before you get out of bed.

Morning routine is now Google Home wakes me up, turns all the lights on in my house, reads me the news and then plays music on 5 speakers including my bathroom.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jonathan posted:

Why did I just toss a grand at the sonos stuff.

Chomecast Audio multi-room streaming works flawlessly, honestly I can't think of a reason you would choose Sonos over Chromecast audio besides the brand or like being really, really committed to Apple Music.

"Hey Google, Play <x> on <speaker zone>" and your speakers make a Bomp! sound and the audio plays.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I guess really the only thing holding me back with the Harmony Hub is the fact that I just don't use the television much. It's only ever used for live sports and I think the last television show I watched on it was back in the summer. I can't remember the last movie I watched on it (maybe last winter?). The only thing I think I'd use it for would be to cast music to my AVR and the Google Home has such good sound that I don't feel like I'm missing out on a lot by just using its speaker.

The fact that it works well reassures me though. Harmony remotes have wildly varied between excellent and terrible.

I'm the same way, I don't watch much TV, maybe a few hours a week tops but the nice thing with the Harmony is I can have my Chromecast, TiVo and Fire TV plugged into the TV all the time and they work very well. If I want to watch something, basically anything, I don't have to gently caress with anything to get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

Nope. I have an LG soundbar that I can cast to from my phone but not from Home. It gave a specific error message, I'll try to find it when I get home.

The latest firmware supports it, it's pushed to manufactures who have to deploy it, some have (Sony), some will, some may never. Welcome to Google.

• Locked thread