Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Just picked up my Chromecast from Best Buy. The box is tiny. Inside is the Chromecast, micro USB cord, AC Adapter, and a 3" HDMI extension ("Use to improve fit and Wi-Fi connection").

I can't wait to get home and try this thing out.

Edit: I just got an email from Best Buy saying that my code for 3 months of Netflix is available to download. Wasn't expecting that because I ordered it this morning.

Is that a three-inch extension? Is it a cord or is it like a solid plastic pass through thing?

I also am wondering whether it's OS-agnostic as far as laptops go. Since it seems like it operates like chrome-to-phone did where you could click a button in Chrome and have the URL sent to your phone and auto-opened in the phone's browser. Obviously there's far more to it, but in general you're not streaming video from your goddamn device in realtime for poo poo like Netflix and YouTube. Playing local media is streaming, definitely. I wonder if there's some kind of remote file access going on with that, though. Instead of streaming your screen it opens the file on your machine as though it were a URL and then takes commands for stop/play/pause whatevs.

Oh, I am definitely going to try getting one of these today. Hope they're in stock at a BBY.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UncleGuito posted:

Anyone try it with an iPad mini yet? Also, for my desktop, do I need to connect to my network via a wireless card to work with the Chromecast? I don't own a laptop- only an iPad Mini, GS3, and windows desktop and want to share local video / chrome tabs.

If I recall, iOS is yet to be supported, but will be soon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

From what I gather it's basically a semi-dumb streaming stick that you point towards an internet source with your phone/tablet/computer? Outside the screencasting feature, that is. Just you hit the button that says "hey Chromecast, go play this" and Chrome goes "okay! *plays*" and boom, cats on your TV?

Or is it radically different? I ordered one (all BBY stores in Omaha are sold out) and am waiting on it but I'm wondering how far they can push this thing in the future.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Showtime Anytime, Starz Play, and Encore Play have all added Chromecast support.

http://www.androidcentral.com/showtime-anytime-starz-play-and-encore-play-apps-now-have-chromecast-support

Also, a bunch of games have been updated to use Chromecast so you can use your phone/tablet as a controller.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/11/introducing-fun-family-games-for.html

Notably absent: CardCast, for when you and your friends get shithoused and want to see who thinks the most hosed-up poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

If you're running Lollipop this is caused by the current memory leak / task recycling issues, should be fixed in 5.0.3 or whatever.

I've noticed much better performance since the Google Now update a couple days ago.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

beerinator posted:

Could this be why my Chromecast is taking control and causing my TV to change focus to it overnight for some reason!? I'm going to have to test this, because it's annoying to turn on the tv in the morning and then have to change source.

edit: this isn't a problem for me, but it means my wife or any house guests basically can't use the TV in the morning because it gets stuck on Chromecast.

Pretty sure there's an option on your TV along the lines of "allow other devices to control the TV." The HDMI standard allows control commands to be passed through.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I thought DVI didn't carry audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Typically if your TV claims the ability to show photos from a USB drive then it has enough power to run your Chromecast. Some have a USB port which is specifically for diagnostics and servicing (typically labeled as such), and you might gently caress your TV up plugging into that, but most likely nothing will happen if you do.

• Locked thread