Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Atomicated posted:

Are app developers capable of programming in Chromecast support currently? Has there been any comment on how difficult it is? I'm curious when we might start seeing additional apps supported.

The SDK is live now: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Google claims most developers should be able to add functionality in about 200 lines of code. Their example of the 'receiver' app that runs on the chromecast is literally a ~20 line standards based html file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

For people in the UK, Currys/PC World are selling Chromecasts for £20 and Amazon & Tesco for £18 (with £5 free Blinkbox credit). There's probably a refresh coming (not to mention Android TV), but it's a great price none the less.

blunt fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 22, 2014

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

teagone posted:

Just wanted to point out that Big Web Quiz and Scrabble Blitz were big hits at my family get together for xmas, especially among the ones who are giant nerds and knew almost exactly all the measurement ones (Wtf). Wish there were more games for Chromecast. I'd like to somehow see Cards Against Humanity ported; that'd be hilarious.

There is!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

Third party support is never going to speed up because the Nexus Player has no market penetration and is one of the few Android TV devices with an Intel chip.
Developers would need to rewrite any NDK code made to run on the typical ARM devices to run on the Nexus Player.

I thought this wasn't an issue now that everything's moved from Dalvik to ART?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They promised a bunch of new features, since it has bluetooth, speakers, usb port, etc that are all non-functioning. But it's been out a couple years and it's barely been improved. Infact they EOL'ed it basically and replaced it with a Google WiFi, which doesn't have POE in a most :psyduck: decision.

It does however have feature-parity with Google WiFi and will act as a node in a Google WiFi system.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

I mean, it still integrates pretty well into this newest ecosystem, all things considered.

I've noticed literally no differences between my Gen 1 and Gen 2 Chromecast (our house doesn't use 5ghz wifi).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

PC World in the UK are currently bundling free chromecasts with all their chromebooks, which is a pretty good indication we're probably getting new chromecasts at Google I/O later this month...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Chromecasts have just gone on firesale across the UK (as have the Pixel/XL). A combined Home/Chromecast at Echo Dot prices would be killer...

• Locked thread