Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

Chromecast is in desperate need of a moving home screen or a screensaver when not in use. I found this out after falling asleep while watching a youtube video last night.

(Ask me how much I like having "Ready to Cast" layered over all my TV watching)

Are you using a projection screen TV from like 10 years ago? I didn't think burn in was still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Same icon is used for bluetooth, could be that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gariig posted:

You can select videos to be transcoded and synced to your mobile devices automatically. It's pretty slick. Like if you start watching Battlestar Galactica and say you want to sync 5 episodes. If you watch episode one on your tablet and episode two on your PC it will remove episodes 1 and 2 from your tablet, transcode 6 and 7, and copy to your tablet. There's also the streaming across the Internet if you have bandwidth at home. It's like $3 for a month if you want to try it.

If I subscribe, can I shove a bunch of stuff on dropbox or whatever and bypass having a plex server all together? Like a personal netflix?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

wooger posted:

More power, so that it can play arbitrary videos from a network share.

This will never be a priority or a selling point.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

My phone doesn't want to connect to my Chromecast. The rest of my family can connect with their iPhones, and I can connect with my computer, but my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus, rooted, running Cyanogenmod 11) just tells me "there was a problem connecting" when I try to stream something from the Youtube app. I can connect and see my Chromecast from the Chromecast app, but I can't seem to do anything with it. Any suggestions?

e. Looks like Google Play Music works, maybe it's just a problem with the Youtube app?

Do you still encounter the problem when you revert to stock?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

Hey, it's cool, you can ask questions :) . Frankly it's bizarre that the M8 is missing from the list.

But Chrome on Android doesn't even have this :psyduck: .

That cast icon shows up for me when I view some embedded videos.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

dalstrs posted:

Most of them are .mkvs with 5.1 sound. What happens is I get all the surround sound so I can hear the background noises and often narration, but the main conversations are not played.

Wow you put a lot of audio engineering into your home movies.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Having a normal 5.1 system at this point is "lots of audio engineering"??

No, I meant taking the time to mix that many channels of audio for videos of your cat eating or your baby sleeping or whatever you captured for home movies.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

HEY GUYS MY PIRATED ANIMES AREN'T WORKING HELPPPPPPPP

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

The answer is still the same: having a 5.1 movie, legal or not, and wanting to have that 5.1 audio in your normal 5.1 sound system is not exactly "putting a lot of engineering", more like basic requisite. We aren't talking of DTS HD 7.1 Thx certified stuff.

Hey dude, you're not getting the joke, so let me lay it out for you.

A poster was complaining about mkvs with 5.1 audio not working correctly on his Chromecast. Rule #5* references that media/apps/whatever will be assumed legally obtained. As it is not possible to legally purchase video content as mkvs, it's pretty obvious that the poster in question was referencing pirated materials. For comedic effect, I posted under the (facetious) assumption that the videos in question were actually made by them with special audio equipment to master them in 5.1 surround sound. It's a pretty funny thought to imagine multiple microphones surrounding their child while eating strained peas.

Hope this clears things up for you!

* No filez. Apps are pretty easy to grab illegally for free, do whatever you want on your own but don't talk about it here. Unless otherwise stated we will all assume you bought whatever app you're talking about, if you feel the need to talk about how you got some new calendar program for free you'll probably end up on probation or banned

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:goonsay:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Parlett316 posted:

Is there any new apps?

Google+ recently updated and can show news feed items on TV. Its kind of neat, but I don't know how often a whole group of people want to sit down and go through a Google+ feed together. Also when you watch a YouTube video from the feed it loads all the player controls like it's on a computer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Inside Out Mom posted:

So has there been any headway getting 5.1 audio working with mkv files? Just watched a movie and the picture quality was ok, but the audio was not 5.1. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Also thanks for posting the fix earlier from reddit. My 1080p rips no longer stutter or buffer every few seconds.

Yeah and what about 10 bit animes??

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

jesus christ go outside

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

Not including the others is such bullshit. I have no reason to upgrade my Pro HD.

Looks like you do now!!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

I'm considering getting my girlfriend a Chromecast for her birthday. Any expectations of a new model being released this year?

Nothing concrete. They intend to start building it into TVs and other set top boxes. I wouldn't hesitate to get the current one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I could not find an answer so does this Nexus Player allow you to cast tabs from your laptop/tablets? Also, if you have a chromebook, are you able to cast the entire desktop to the player?

The nexus player is a superset of the Chromecast. The additional features are apple tv-like apps for streaming services and games.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

For me, it freezes regularly when playing movies through Plex that the Chromecast could otherwise play. 1080p mkvs are particularly bad.

but how does it handle the japanese subtitles?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm sure nobody would be surprised if this were true, it's looking like there will be a major google cast update soon, likely at I/O.

Sony issued a press release about some soundbars and receivers that will have google cast built in, and they mentioned this in the PR:

sony posted:

Stay tuned for more information on the future of Google Cast and multi-room functionality.
source: http://blog.sony.com/press/30560/

my nexus q could sync music between rooms, so I'm glad google cast is catching up.

also goddamn google update my nexus q into a fancy as gently caress chromecast already.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Am I right to think that you have to watch an episode on your phone to switch to 4:3? I spent way too long trying to find the switch in Chromecast mode. It's set as the default now, which is reflected when chromecasting.

Very bad UX for people that only download the app for chromecasting.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

For those wanting basically a chromecast with a remote, don't forget that they recently updated it to allow use of your TVs remote via hdmi-cec.

My tv doesn't support it, but it sounds like the bee's knees.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

With the apps I've tried, it works as well as my Chromecast. Ethernet is a non-issue, for me at least. I stream 1080p mkvs up two floors to my bedroom. Kodi is flawless on it and requires less messing around than the Fire TV.

Buy one!

How's the performance on 10-bit anime?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Chromecast sucks for iOS users for that reason. We usually use the apple tv because of the remote. I don't feel like buying a new tv for CEC

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Weird and probably outdated question but I have an original Chromecast and I am thinking of trying out something with it. I am possibly going to use it in my classroom as a wireless HDMI cable. My school internet/filter asks for log in credentials when you try to get online (which the Chromecast would require as well). Does chromecast have a way for me to be able to log in?

I've never used a chromecast on a captive portal network, but I'd be surprised if it worked. You'd have to re log in every time your session expired. You may have more luck getting your network admin to whitelist it.

Even if you get it running, how are you going to prevent kids from goatse-ing your class?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Target has a deal where they give you a $10 giftcard when you buy a Chromecast. Just picked up an Audio, which is pretty great. Paired with an amp, it's just like the Nexus Q I miss so much.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pay for Google music/YouTube red. It's worth it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Welp time to get better quality album art on Google music.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm intrigued by the home speaker computer thing and I'll likely go with Google's but I'm going to wait for v2. Google tends to abort products and if they make it to v2 it has a higher chance of sticking around.

How many have OnHub routers that never got the promised feature updates?

I have an onhub router. What should it do?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Something about the speaker found during early tear-downs? I guess people thought an OTA would instantly turn it into a Google Home box?

Nah, Google wants your $129 for that.

What? Did they promise that, or are crazy people expecting it because of what someone found when taking it apart?

The speaker is used during setup.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They promised a bunch of new features, since it has bluetooth, speakers, usb port, etc that are all non-functioning. But it's been out a couple years and it's barely been improved. Infact they EOL'ed it basically and replaced it with a Google WiFi, which doesn't have POE in a most :psyduck: decision.

What? When Google wifi was announced someone was asked point blank about OnHub and they said it wasn't going away, and that they would work together. That article posted was obviously written by someone that doesn't have one, because the thing does get updated, and new features have been added.

Was there a subsequent announcement where they said it was being EOL'd?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Puddin posted:

Think this may get better traction here than in hardware sub.

Internets has died at my place so we're at my parents as my wife needs the net to stream some screener and do her actual job.

Wanting to stream something off vimeo which I'd normally run on my phone and mirror it to the TV which doest seem to be working.

If I get a chromecast, it's just as easy as running the vimeo link in a chrome tab in Mac os and casting that to the chromecast yeah?

Not had any experience with them as of yet.

The Chromecast might need internet even for tab casting. Do you have a computer that outputs HDMI? You could tether the phone to the computer for internet.

Alternatively you could see if your phone supports mhl or something.

Second alternative: see if your phone supports Miracast and buy a Miracast receiver.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is there a good single speaker to plug a Chromecast audio into? I'm aware of single speakers with Chromecast built-in; I already have a Chromecast audio and want to put it to use. I just want like a single powered speaker with a 3.5mm input and a USB port for power. Maybe I'm asking for something too specific, though.

Edit: I think I found something. The key was to search for phone docks that play music instead of speakers with a USB port.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I always thought this one looked neat.

I think the problem is that the Google Home sounds really good and it's also a Chromecast so...

Wooooow that looks perfect.

• Locked thread