Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'll chuck in some Virtual stuff this weekend, gotta finish up my IT thread rewrite first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Posting my Lab

FOCUS VMware
Lab setup
Lab Machine:
Mobo: Super micro H8SGL
CPU: 6128
Memory: 40GB Ripjaw ram
Nics: 2
-frebee's- GT550
Storage
5vNICS
ISCSI over ZFS
Vmware services

Cost: 997

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 27, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erkenntnis posted:

So your ESX hosts are virtual? I didn't even realize that was possible.

I have Hyper-V and vmware running virtual on virtual. Yes it works performance is somewhat degraded but completely workable for labs

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Indecision1991 posted:

This is sorta what I want to run at home but with a lot less equipment. I would like to virtualize as much as possible since I am taking some vmware classes and want to keep up the momentum. I was thinking of a single server with beefy specs to use for ESXi, I know I can find 3+ year old equipment with decent specs for 400-500, I may even be getting a free server from an old boss. The networking is my weakest point but I do plan to buy some routers/switches within the next 6 months for practice. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to host a small single server with 2 routers and 3 switches?All for practice of course.

Remember, You can run ESXi inside ESXi, there are some virtual routers and switches out there where you can make some really interesting virtual network which can mimic things like WAN latency/speed, failures, and many other things you won't have to spend a buck on.

My advice start with one host, then move to another when you realize the host you are working on is not fitting the bill.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Indecision1991 posted:

I was originally looking at something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251269644666

This is my lab

It does basically everything I needed for the VCAP-DCA/VCP5/VCP5-DT(VDI)

AND MORE.

It is neat and easy, all in a one box, and costs a lot less.

Here is my friends build, he had little to no trouble doing much of his virtualization as well
http://www.vhersey.com/2012/12/the-home-lab-black-friday-upgrade/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 7, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Indecision1991 posted:

So do you think that server I link will be able to do pretty much all the stuff you are doing? I would thin spec wise its above and beyond your system but is the price decent for the hardware?

It will probably work, however I am not sure if any off the shelf drives will work in dell servers. Some vendors drive lock where the HDD's won't be accessible. And storage is probably where you'll see some of the most slowdowns in a VMware lab.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Indecision1991 posted:

This is another question I was going to ask, if off the shelf drives would work as long as they fit in the hdd trays.

Most likely not. You probably want to look into something that Agrikk posted, or if you want do tell your budget and I can post a whitebox build.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Indecision1991 posted:

Maybe its my second account and I am just setting up a troll train? Nah jk'ing...either way thanks for the input, will wait for dilberts white box recommendation and begin to spec out a white box. If a server does fall on my lap ill just use it to mess with, nothing serious.

Here is what I would look into

Intel build:
mobo/case/psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117
CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116782
Memory(2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104361
Cost: 645

Pro's
Intel-VT/D
Low power
Quiet
small
easy to setup and roll
Con's
Low internal disks
Budget doesn't include drives

AMD Build
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157394
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119269
HDD(2): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136771
Ram(2): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104361
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211718
Cost 666

Pro's very similar to my setup that I visio's
Con's
Bit more expensive and a bit bulkier, also would need a video card to setup ESXi temporarily

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Drighton posted:

Last time I tried to install vSphere 4 on a non-server I discovered the driver problem. What should we look for when selecting a consumer motherboard for a white box lab?

I use supermicro, but really google is your friend.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I think the most important thing in a lab isn't about installing it on a Dell/HP/etc because at the end of the day installing ESXi/Citrix/Hyper-v on x86 is pretty much the same all around. The important thing to take away from it is the knowledge of the workings of the systems such as esxi, GNS3, Windows/Linux, etc.

Getting some vendor hardware is great but not always the main goal. Yes there are some thing's like the Cisco UCS's configuration that is sometimes daunting but there are bunches of simlabs for that which do it without spending a bunch on rebranded HP servers.

Probably the only real thing I would say for a lab where buying vendor HW is useful is for storage, but even then there are some many java programs that simulate the environment which vendors usually give out for little to nothing

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Turnquiet posted:

I am starting small and keeping VM instances limited to VirtualBox on a MBA. Can I setup three VMs in Vbox, build a domain controller on one, a web server on another, and a federation server on a third? Or will all my VMs be perfect little islands without any networking hardware?

They will be virtually networking in RAM, vBox has some nice network manager that as long as they are all on the same "vlan" they will work.

Just make sure you only give the ram/cpu what is needed

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Swink posted:

Can I use openfiler or similar to learn about storage? I know virtually nothing and dont know where to start.

I use ZFS and Freenas 9.0.1 has HW acceloration and ZFS is amazing for a lab environment if you have 8GB ram and an SSD to dedicate to it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I was about to go to bed but my sperg kicked in, OP here you go

SO YOU WANT TO BY A DELL POWEREDGE: EASY GUIDE TO SAVING A BUTT-TONE OF MONEY

So you want to buy a poweredge for your lab? Cool here are some points to think about prior to buying that waste of money. First of let me say when I was first getting into VMware and such I thought getting a Dell Poweredge/HP Proliant/etc would be the poo poo and be MUCH more valuable learning than a server, then I ran the facts and figures.

:siren:PROTIP: No one gives a poo poo you can install an OS/Hypervisor onto a hardware platform:siren:
Seriously;
installing ESXi is like, Enter, F11, Enter, F11, Enter, and Enter.
Hyper-V 2012 is similar even less clicks.
Citrix is similar to ESXi but feels a bit more linuxy but is incredibly straight forward.

Congratulations, you are not able to install ESXi/hyper-V/Citrix on HP/Dell/IBM/UCS/other.

The important part of a lab is not how to install an OS on a HW platform unless you are shooting for your A+ and A+ job, that is probably the only time an employer will care. The important part of setting up a HyperVisor/Server OS is not the "can you install it" but "can you make it usable and understand what you did". Hardware platform familiarity is becoming less and less of a requirement as we move more and more into the virtualization realm. Today most of my installs are scripted, to the point where I boot off USB and let the .KS/unattend.xml finish it, comeback in 5 minutes and configure anything else. While you may need to understand the importance of auto-deployments of windows/linux/Vmware, realize you can do this all in ESXi running on a Cheap rear end 600 dollar build which will curb stomp your Dell server you are getting that shipped with no HDD's, hope you have some good network storage!

Common misconceptions of LAB environments
  • Installing on Vendor Hardware will work better!
    Mostly not true, most of your server hardware is probably 3-4 years old and won't really compare to what you can get on the desktop market in the way of parts.

• I can just upgrade the Ram in my Dell Server which was 200 bucks and came with 16GB of Ram with some off newegg!
    Probably not true, most ram for servers isn't your run of the mill desktop ram, most will require ECC and may be vendor specific. Long story short it will cost you much more than you estimate

• I need to know how to install it onto the Vendor hardware
    No you really need to watch like a few YT videos and blammo done, focus on configuring the Software and Services

• I can just throw in my Western Digital or Seagate Drives into make up for the fact it shipped with no drives!
    Not always true, most won't accept a drive unless it has a signature from dell/hp/etc and those drives are costly(hence why your server didn't come with any)!

• There are some Hardware pieces I can't mimic like iDrac, iLO, or Cisco's CMC!
    If you are going to a job where they let you deal with things like multiple VM servers and clusters, and yet you can't be bothered to watch a 5 minute video or understand what it means when it is asking for an IP address and password you have bigger issues. Furthermore, Supermicro offers some similar features on their boards which allow for similar configuration

• I can't get enough ram/CPU in the Whitebox Servers I NEED a Dell/HP
    True some things just won't fit your needs for ram/cpu in the box, but you shouldn't be building a 1:1 production unless you are going for something like a VCDX, even then 32GB and a 8 Core CPU will take you farther than you think. If you still need more, look at supermicro, most take desktop ram fairly well and run stuff without a hitch.

Remember your lab environment is to teach you the concepts and to familiarize yourself with the Software and Services you are configuring. It does not have to be better than your production environment.

TIPS OF A VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT
:eng101: Only assign what the VM needs, this is also true in a production environment. If it only is running AD/DNS/DHCP, it could probably run happy on 512MB and 1 vCPU, You'll probably run out of RAM/DISK IOPS BEFORE you congest your CPU. Unless you are doing some really crazy poo poo or have a 2-3 year old server/pc.
:eng101: Invest in SSD's, SATA disks are SLOOOW for VM's that require shared resources, invest in some SSD's
:eng101: Don't overbuy, this is a really common mistake, buy what you need for what you are doing and upgrade as needed.
:eng101: Look into things like VirtualBox or VMwareWorkstation, and updating your Gaming rig, PRIOR to spending 800 on some dell HW. I have built many PoC labs for my VCP/VCP-DT in workstation, it's a bit slower than ESXi white boxing but 100% DOABLE
:eng101: ESXi can run ESXi on top of ESXi, it can also run Hyper-V and Citrix. Often building 1 beefy box can outweigh multiple lower end boxes.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 21, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
^ Pretty much that, when I review candidates and such at my place I never ask "can you install esxi", I may however ask about configuring Auto-Deploy, or Boot From SAN/Embedded

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

Do people do this anymore?

I never thought it made sense to use pricey SAN space to host a boot image if a USB key or a pair of tiny drives in RAID-1 will do the job for far cheaper.

Mostly cisco Blade servers, as some don't have internal USB drives. Can't say I am a fan of using any mechanical pieces in hosts.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I don't ever get to deal with blades, but are internal USB slowing being replaced with internal SD cards?

Internal USB is cheaper and easier to manage, I could rant about blades but I don't think anyone wants to hear it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

smokmnky posted:

So where would you suggest starting? Any good beginner books to read up on? Like I said we do a very, very limited amount of virtualization right now but I find it fascinating and would love to dig into it more.
I have some in the OP of the VMware mega thread, look at Mastering vSphere 5by Scott Lowe, it will give you a solid foundation on virtualization

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

I'd like to hear a rant about blades. I loved working with IBM BladeCentre chassis and blade servers in my last job.

Should have specified CISCO blades in paticular, but yeah there are a few things I don't care about blades I may type up tomorrow for lunch

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 23, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kill your idols posted:

Workstation 9 also does this as well.

Free 30 Day Trial / Academic Discounts give you alot of cool stuff for the vNested installs. For home lab testing and breaking or just some basic VM's for other non-host applications; I feel it is the best bet. It has come along way since v6.0.

This product killed Windows Virtual PC for me years ago.

Liking their FB page also gives very modest discounts

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

NYFreddy posted:

Was pumped about my new C1100 w/ 72 GB of ram for $400 then I read this thread :(.

If the lab fits your needs go for it, however chances are you could get better for a better value

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I love how the vCenter web client integration plugin doesn't work on anything that the vsphere client doesn't already run on. :rolleyes:

You should have support for the plugin for Safari and other OS's in ~30 days when 5.5 goes GA

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I need some volunteers for some ICM stuff, please PM or facebook.

Basically I need some people to PoC my environment for my VCAP:DCA/DCD and VCP:ICM design. It will probably be a 60 day max. Basically I want people who will stress test it.

Probably be a ping back by Wednesday on login's

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

This thread needs more cool parts lists like Corvettefisher posted. I don't want to spec out parts on my own. :ohdear:

I was responding to Indecision1991's post on some whitebox considerations, if you are tired of seeing my posts you can just add me to your ignore list.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What kind of work are you doing on that monster?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread before but I was looking into buying some new hardware and setting up a home lab so I can finally study/practice for some certs. I was going to build a server with like 64GB of RAM but I noticed that vmware esxi only supports 32GB with the free license. What are my options here? I could likely run all my labs on one machine, that's no question, but I have other servers that I wanted to consolidate into one VM host. How much would it cost me to move up a license for 1 host? Or is there any other hypervisors out there that I could use? Scratch that, I'd rather use vmware.

The trial mode does not have a limit, and you can "upgrade" your esxi to reset the timer. 5.5 also drops this limit.

IT Guy posted:

Ah perfect, yes I can wait for 5.5. Is there a release date?

If you run the 60 day trial you you most likely have 5.5 as an upgrade before then

incoherent posted:

Can you nest in ESXi? My primary hypervisor is hyper-v (turns out you can put up with a lot of poo poo for unlimited VM rights) but I do want to get in on VMWare learning.

ESXi will run Hyper-V, Citrix Xen and ESXi ! You supposidly can run esxi on hyper-v but I haven't had much luck :/

Yes you can nest.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sounder posted:

Got a quick storage question.
I've got a spare HP Microserver that I want to set up as a NAS box for iSCSI. I have a mix of platter disks and SSD's that I want to throw in it, but I'm not sure how well the linux/BSD-based NAS distros handle mixed storage.

How well-supported is tiered storage in FreeNAS, NAS4free, and the like?

FreeNas works well, You may want to look into Nexenta.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Nice post three I may look into that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

^ yeah that

Agrikk posted:

Someone correct me, but I think a virtual network operates at 10gb speeds?

Correct, but I believe it can go as fast as the CPU/Memory/Guest can process at.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
This is my lab

It does basically everything I needed for the VCAP-DCA/VCP5/VCP5-DT(VDI)

AND MORE.

I may do a better to understand visio tonight when I get home, essentially you just hook it up to a virtual switch, like you would a physical switch and attach to it via IP

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Malcolm XML posted:

Are there 10gbase-t nics that don't cost $500 out yet? I kind of want to use a few to make a tiny home data center to test out my work stuff

What do you need 10Gb for? Genuinely curious.

You could always switch in ram with the VMXnet at +/- 10Gb/s depending on the HW backing it. Is 125MB/s not enough? You can look into some cheap rear end 4Gb/s FC HP HBA's and switches for fairly cheap.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Was still running Workstation 8 so I decided to uprgade to 10, and nothing about my lab is too precious, so I scrapped the whole thing. Why is it that every time I rebuild my home lab I spend all of my time getting pfSense to play nice when routing? You'd think I'd remember the step I'm overlooking by now, jimminy freakin hopskotch.

e: Not asking for help, it's going to be something silly that I overlooked, and I got myself into this mess, just venting a bit. I never learn.

e: Time to spin up a DC, admin PC, and 5 ESXi hosts, 40 minutes. Time to get pfSense to give me access to the internet, oh, bout three hours now. To be fair I keep distracting myself with the weirder parts of Youtube, but still, poo poo.

FYI Workstation has built in routing functions in the virtual network editor

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kiwid posted:

Is there a better way to evaluate VMware vSphere and vCenter rather than reinstalling every 2 months?

run repairs or the updated versions of the product to reset the nuke timer, you can also just run a repair to reset the timer of ESXi hosts.

Autolab works great as well

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kiwid posted:

Would vCenter still see the host and everything be all cool still (networking, permissions, iscsi initiators, etc...) if I just ran a repair?

I know update resets the nuke timer, lemme test again on vcenter

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kiwid posted:

Don't go out of your way, I have 35 days left, I can test it myself with a VM inside a VM on the weekend.

meh finializing 3 VMware courses and 1 Sec+ class in over the next few weeks, might as well test something else. I thought I recall it does but better confirm.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Having a hell of a time getting ESXi 5.5.0 to see local SATA drives on my Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H. I've tried IDE and AHCI mode. It goes through the boot process fine, and just before transitioning from the yellow loader screen to where you agree to the install, I get a red error line, but it doesn't stay long enough to read. It then scans the sysetm and shows nothing under Local or Remote for "Disk to Install or Upgrade".

Is there any flags/options I can pass the bootloader to allow me to back track and see that error?

EDIT: Jumping over to another tty isn't yielding much from the log files, but I'll keep digging.

Install it onto a USB drive, you can even install it back onto the usb you used to boot esxi on if installing via usb

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Heh. This is what I did with every existing server we have that I rebuilt(no remote management was ever bought). Unetbootin. Boot from thumb drive. Install to thumb drive.

I really need to work in a bigger environment, or become less lazy and play with all the fun vSphere automation stuff.

Work for a VAR

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
How much you looking to spend? Also AMD or intel?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

As little as possible, and yes.

I'm obsessed with running as many VMs as possible to make my environment and therefore the tasks, as complex as possible. Figure I will buy myself a new lab box during the holidays.

I'd enable small TPS first, if you aren't proc constrained, doing large JVM environments or such TPS can really help

Go to host> config tab> adv settings> Mem > Mem.AllocGuestLargePage set to 0 reboot and done.

(just realized I had Mem.alloGuestRemoteLargePage not sure if it means anything)

Running all this on 20GB of ram most of it is TPS

With large pages enabled (4MB) TPS doesn't kick in till 94~ percent, forcing small page tables (4k) which operates at the same level of tps(4k) you get better mem reclamation for a lab at the cost of some CPU overhead.

Rebuilding Spring semesters coursed because gently caress all I am bored as poo poo. HA! just realized part of that CPU overhead is a vm cloning and my FREENAS VAAI trying to compensate with ~3000Mhz used

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 29, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's nice dilbert and I appreciate you sharing your lab but I really have no idea what you're responding to. I was asking if anyone knew of any good Black Friday deals, and I asked here because it is within the context of upgrading my home lab.

ohh I was just trying to convey "enable this see if you still need to upgrade". newegg mas some nice DIY kits on sale

evol262 posted:

You can get VAAI without a "real" SAN? Tell me more. Who else does this?

IIRC HP VSA and Nexenta do it. Freenas 9.1 is ISCSI VAAI only

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

From reading on it more, it looks like you lose "10-20% performance" which I assume they mean is CPU performance (sources: 1, 2)?

Yeah, you'll make ESXi a bit busier as TPS is going to attempt matching like pages. I'd like to say it really depends how much CPU you lose on a number of things like speed/CAS latency of ram, and how dynamic your environment is. Mostly if you have a somewhat static environment as per ram goes, e.g domain controllers, IIS servers, etc. You probably won't notice that much performance loss, TPS doesn't have to try and compensate for as many active memory changes.

quote:

Given a lot of environments are memory constrained instead of CPU even in production-level environments, why isn't this setting recommended more?

I think a lot has to do that Memory is often predictable on nature as well as having a bunch of ways to reclaim memory(one of which is break up pages), you don't normally see memory spike from 5 to 20% in most environments the way a windows guest CPU may.

I'm cautiously optimistic to see how it would play in a VDI environment.

10001 had a good post about it from the VM thread.

1000101 posted:

Keep in mind that EPT (or AMD's RVI) doesn't necessarily mean you're using large pages; you can actually use it with small pages as well. What EPT does give you is the ability to have guest memory managed in hardware as opposed to via software. If a little extra latency doesn't hurt your apps then it may be worth forcing small pages to get higher consolidation ratios.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Perf_ESX_Intel-EPT-eval.pdf

As a side note when the ESXi host becomes memory constrained it should start breaking large pages up into small pages by default.

EPT is REALLY handy for Java apps and basically broke down the last barrier to get some of my customers to adopt VMware. You almost always want EPT/RVI enabled.

• Locked thread