Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Getting started on a lab so I can go from helpdesk to "why the gently caress is this goddamn thing so loud"

I know the OP pretty much starts with

Sepist posted:

:siren:YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO BUY A DELL POWEREDGE TO RUN VM'S! THEY'RE NOISY, HOT, POWER HUNGRY, AND NOISY. Seriously, you'd be better off with a quad i5/i7 and a lot of RAM.:siren:

but work is getting rid of R710s for $20 and that's a lot cheaper than building a system. Plus, I've wanted a rack server since Apple released the Xserve so gently caress you dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

God why do you people keep buying servers you confuse me so much. Just slap a bunch of memory in whatever desktop you're already using, call it LAB1, do the same thing for LAB2 down the line, hook them to a switch, and that's your lab.

e: this post has been made from

My only personally owned computer is a MBP and $20 is $20.

Docjowles posted:

If you have never gotten hands on with rack mount gear ever, and won't have the chance at work, there is some value in that I guess. Take the thing apart and put it back together a few times. Marvel at how cool and good hot swappable parts are. I just ripped out a hard drive or PSU, and the thing stayed up!!

Then check your power bill, or realize you can hear the thing running from across the street. Resell it on eBay and build a bigger lab out of desktops or NUCs.

Is there an IT work room/lovely closet at your office where you could stash the thing and mess with it, instead of having to run it in your home?

It's not as loud as I thought it would be (outside of booting) and once it get it set up, it's going into the basement where I'll only ever look at it if I'm upgrading something on it. As for power... well yeah, I can't really argue there. Use plebes on the helpdesk don't have many options for setting up our own stuff at work so it has to live at home

• Locked thread