Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Think long and hard before buying used enterprise stuff for a lab, it tends to be loud and power hungry and at least for servers doesn't offer much if any of a benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I have a 1U Dell but I put it in the basement at work where they can pay for the power. If I'm in after hours I can hear it through the floor boards.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Was still running Workstation 8 so I decided to uprgade to 10, and nothing about my lab is too precious, so I scrapped the whole thing. Why is it that every time I rebuild my home lab I spend all of my time getting pfSense to play nice when routing? You'd think I'd remember the step I'm overlooking by now, jimminy freakin hopskotch.

e: Not asking for help, it's going to be something silly that I overlooked, and I got myself into this mess, just venting a bit. I never learn.

e: Time to spin up a DC, admin PC, and 5 ESXi hosts, 40 minutes. Time to get pfSense to give me access to the internet, oh, bout three hours now. To be fair I keep distracting myself with the weirder parts of Youtube, but still, poo poo.

i've been there. the problem is the pfsense devs assume it is your internet connection instead of just a router and things get stupid.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm wanting to set up a server to learn Microsoft Exchange 2013. I realized I don't have Outlook. Is there a free way, no :filez: to get outlook for my lab?

Ninite still has the Office 2007 Standard trial listed, I think that was 90 days and included Outlook but I'm not sure.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Of course then we get into the option of putting lab box 1 on 192.168.10.x and lab box 2 on 192.168.20.x, but even then it feels like there's going to be problems. For example, if I want to move a VM over to the other lab box, same situation, it won't know how to route to a 192.168.20.x IP on a 192.168.10.x subnet. And even during normal course of duty, the 192.168.10.x pfSense isn't going to know where to send information for 192.168.20.x hosts.

There are ways to do this, but none of them feel particularly graceful, so I'm curious how you guys would handle it.

Set up a static route on each pfsense vm for the other, then they will know about the networks behind each other. Make sure you turn off the firewall rule for RFC whatevernumberitwas private addresses.

edit: you'll have to change ip addresses if you move vms between subnets. Alternatively get a nic for the virtual machines on each box and plug them into a cheapo router like a Mikrotik and save yourself a lot of hassle.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 27, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
There are two port intel nics on ebay for a reasonable price, if you can deal with the hassle this will leave room for future stupidity.

If you are only going to use two computers right now you can just connect the two nics directly to each other and run a pfsense vm on one machine to handle it all. You will want to read up on vmware vswitches to understand the limitations of this but it works like hooking two switches together for almost everything.

The way I have it set up under workstation 9 on windows 7 with the second nic on my motherboard is to leave it enabled in windows, disable ip 4 and 6 and the two microsoft networking things. Then use the custom network editor in workstation to bridge one of the unused vmnets to that nic. Then in the hardware settings for each vm change the network adapter to custom network segment and pick the one you just set up.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
An SSD and more RAM will help the desktop.

Everything but Hyper-V runs as the logged in user so if your wife uses her own account that is going to be a problem.

Connecting to your router with whatever VPN technology it supports will allow you to access everything on your network without forwarding a million ports.

If you type really fast the latency may drive you nuts.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

deimos posted:

This is going to be my build (mostly repurposed parts from my NAS):
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Amazon?)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Amazon?)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

(Anything without a price I already owned, the SSDs I bought when I saw them cheap.)

Gonna throw an Intel X3959 on it too.

e: switch talk: I really wish Arista had a cheap line :(
e2: that was totally the wrong case. (It's gonna go inside a Lian Li PC-7something)

Unless I missed something that Xeon has no video and you have no video card listed.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
There aren't any two port pci gigabit cards. There is a Compaq two port 10/100 pci card, I got one new in box and it felt so industrial when I opened it. Just think, air from 1998 in that bag.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

evol262 posted:

Use iscsi luns instead. But ideal block size depends on workload. What are the vms doing?

I've read that there is some voodoo with block sizes where the zvol can end up way bigger than the file system it contains but I don't have any good links handy, sorry.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I'm looking for a smart switch on the cheap. I've had Dell Powerconnect 5324 suggested in the past and I see a bunch on ebay in the 50-60 range.

Any other suggestions? This is going in a rack in the basement at work and being powered on my employers dime so noise and power draw are not concerns.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does it have to be a virtual machine? There are plenty of tiny x86 boxes out there for this sort of thing

https://pcengines.ch/apu2.htm is the first that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How fancy of a DHCP server do you have? Can you specify the settings returned to specific MAC addresses other than IP?

• Locked thread