Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I haven't build a lab yet. I think it is absolutely essential to have my own lab so I can keep up and learn more.
I am familiar with Oracle virtual box. but I am looking to buy something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251269644666
I got all the Microsoft licenses I need from my school. (dreamspark)
I also want to learn about differential and incremental back ups. (I know how to do full back ups efficiently now and I know the difference between incremental and differential. I don't know how to implement them.)
I think I need to use tapes for this. I have zero experience with tapes

I also need to learn more about how to manage network cables. like how do I get 1 switch to connect to 20 computers in different rooms. the cables should go through the wall right?. I have no idea how to do this. I am willing to learn this at my home by drilling holes or however it is done.
I know nothing about Cisco at the moment but I want to learn it as soon as possible so that is also a must for me.
I also need to learn how to make a VPN.

These are the things I know I want to know. there is so much I don't know yet outside of this. I want to build a machine that can let me learn all things and more.
Is this reasonable to build and if so could you guys point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm currently studying for my CCNA. I'm now at the part of subnetting router protocols is right after this. and I understand how to do that. I understand the theory but I have no hands on experience with it. i know which cables to use i don't know how to make them. I can identify them. The only hands on experience I have is with Packet Tracer and that is virtualized. I want to know how to connect switches with a patch through the wall to a central switch. I want to know how to actually subnet routers. I want to know how to actually subnet and connect a real work environment.

I don't have a lot of money right now. but I am saving up to buy a lab because what I have now won't cut it I think.
I think my budget would come around to 500-800 euro's

I have a PC with 8GB ram I7 processor 1 nic.
and it is currently running 4 VM's (windows server 2012 domain controller, W2012 File Server, Windows 7 client and Linux Open Suse which I currently use to learn how to make a mailserver)

I would love to have something like H.R Paperstack has. But it is way out of my price range.

But I really love the setup. is there a budget version like that? that will be good enough CCNA en maybe CCNP in the future?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have not looked into GNS3. Thank you guys for your advice. I was looking around ebay and I think I want to buy this.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/CISCO-Lab-CC...=item19e7e06e4b

it's pretty cheap. and I think it would satisfy my needs

Then I found this
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/compute...previousPage=lr
which is a bit more expensive but looks really nice. but I don't think it's worth shelling out 500 euro's when I can get what I need for 150 euro's

I think I will start with GNS3 after I get some hands on experience with the hardware.

• Locked thread