Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Spent all weekend trying and failing to install Server 2012 R2 Eval on my TS440. Tried mounting the ISO with AMT, cryptic error, copied the install ISO contents to a bootable flash drive, cryptic error. I've made a DVD at work with the image, and it's working on a random desktop I grabbed, if it fails on TS440 I'm going to get pretty mad.

Oh dear this is exactly what I am planning. It looks I'll be getting mine this afternoon. Hope it is not a indication of things to come. :(

Stupid question: Did you check your RAM? Tried it with the factory installed RAM? Came with 4GB right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It's installing Server 2012R2 from USB disk. Fingers crossed.

And it's installed, maybe you got a dud?

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 19, 2014

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So i just redid my NAS and i've got a TS440 running 2012R2. I want to export Zvols for use as VM disk. Using Hyper-V gen 2 VMs it is possible to pass-through a raw disk.

Anybody know what the preferred blocksize of a zvol and the corresponding NTFS blocksize is?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

evol262 posted:

Use iscsi luns instead. But ideal block size depends on workload. What are the vms doing?

I've got two machines, one Microserver running OpenIndiana and an TS440 running 2012R2 with Hyper-V installed.

The exported disks are luns, they are Zvols exported with comstar mounted with the Iscsi initiator on the hypervisor host. I'll install a domain controller, an IIS server and maybe a couple of Linux machines.

Nothing too fancy, I thought there might a good rule of thumb like keeping the NTFS block size the same as the Zvol blocksize.

I don't know, I thought you guys might know.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Solaris/Linux iscsi works very well for running VMs off.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MF_James posted:

Ask me about using 2200 of these in production and rather than springing for a RAID card we use the software RAID. Also ask me about how large I/O can cause the server to lock up, start verifying the RAID integrity and then lockup so you have to reboot them from the AMT. We finally got a fixed driver from intel (through lenovo) so it marks the drives defunct instead of locking up every night.... only took a year for that to happen.

I have one of these, I run Linux from the Megaraid card that's included. I guess the software RAID you mention does not include this card right? Otherwise I might have a problem. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

evol262 posted:

eBay servers were always cheap. They're also loud power hogs. Have you heard a C6100?

If you can live with that, great, get one.

The bigger servers are pretty nice, a DL380 Gen 8 is pretty quiet. 1U servers are usually loud, 2U is much better.

The Nexus switches we have sound like they are always on the verge of taking off.

• Locked thread