Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My home lab consists of 2x AMD Athlon x2 era dual core machines. One with 6x HDDs and 4GB of ECC RAM running openindiana for storage, and one with 8GB of RAM running ESXi 5.0. I can spin up a shitload of VMs and if they swap it's a bit slow but livable for a lab, and hey, I have a ton of space for my files.

edit: cost, excluding HDDs was like $400 or something obscenely low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Swink posted:

Can I use openfiler or similar to learn about storage? I know virtually nothing and dont know where to start.
Openfiler or openindiana (or some other illumos distro) are good places to learn storage basics. netapp also has a VM, you might be able to get a demo of it.

• Locked thread