Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

ElvisG posted:

I just saw a video on youtube of a demonstration of VIRL. WTH, there is no configuration of anything. Everything is automated. So is the future of the CCIE going to obsolete?

I seriously thought that VIRL was going to be a Packet Tracer + GNS3 awesomeness.

Not remotely. You still need a relatively competent network engineer to deal with the logical configuration of the network. VIRL is meant to make it easier to lab difficult configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Yo Dilbert - I built pretty much this exact same build. Where can I find instructions on nesting ESXi?

http://www.v-front.de/2014/01/how-to-provision-nested-esxi-hosts-on.html

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2012/06/12/creating-a-nested-lab/

Pretty easy to get setup.

This may be worth a look for you as well:
http://www.labguides.com/2014/03/11/autolab-v1-5-with-vsphere-5-5-support/

May 14, 2003

smokmnky posted:

Question for you guys, I'm using a mac and want to manage my ESXi (free) 5.5 host. What's the best way to do this? Since this is just a home lab I'm not looking to buy anything and using OS X I can't get vSphere Client and it seems like VMWare is pushing everyone to their web based management tools but I can't seem to find anything not related to vCenter.

I think Fusion 7 pro can manage ESXi VMs. Haven't used it for that before so no idea what the functionality is like.

The good news though is this problem may be addressed in an upcoming release!

May 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Also I decided to go look up how IP address schemes and VLAN numbers are chosen--pursuant to your post, Thanks Ants--and I guess I didn't realize it was another Holy Scripture thing. IT is weird.

I'd generally recommend customers pick VLAN IDs however makes them happy. For example I tend to make inside VLANs be something < 1000 and DMZ and outside VLANs might be north of 2000.

The more important thing is how you lay out your subnets. You typically want to assign them on easily summarized boundaries so if you have say 3 sites you might say that 10.0.0.0/12 is HQ, 10.16.0.0/12 is San Jose, 10.32.0.0/12 is Seattle, etc.

Then in there carve up a little bit more. Maybe 10.0.0.0/24 is used for loopbacks, 10.15.0.0/16 is used for DMZs and everything in between is carved up into /16s. Then those /16s get carved up into /24s that get allocated.

This comes in handy if you're using static routes or dynamic routing (which you should be doing!) as you can quickly ID where a network is and they're all neatly summarized.

edit: just realized this is the home lab thread so just pretend you're doing this in GNS3 or something.

1000101 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread