Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Finally got everything installed and wrapped up. Another 16GB of ram came yesterday, so this setup is done.

Focus: :eng101: VMware.

Setup: Beefy AIO host, shared storage out by NFS/iSCSI, back to host, and x3 vESXi hosts for vGoodies.

Hardware:
  • Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
  • SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O
  • 32 GB 1333MHz DDR3 PC3-10666 ECC
  • x5 2TB 7200rpm, for Datastore02/Datastore03 Raid10
  • x1 M4 128GB SSD, for Datastore01
  • x1 HBA, for VT-d
  • x2 Intel NICs

I had some parts, so total: $750ish

Gonna start installing some goodies tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Docjowles posted:

"VM's inside VM's", VMware Player owns. All it requires is Windows or Linux as your host OS (no Mac support), and a 64-bit CPU released within the last few years. It's very bare-bones feature wise but it does the job.

Workstation 9 also does this as well.

Free 30 Day Trial / Academic Discounts give you alot of cool stuff for the vNested installs. For home lab testing and breaking or just some basic VM's for other non-host applications; I feel it is the best bet. It has come along way since v6.0.

This product killed Windows Virtual PC for me years ago.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Thinking about this HP ProCurve 1810G-8 v2 for $135 shipped. Worth the upgrade from my NetGear GS108T?

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 29, 2013

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

evol262 posted:

Yes. But 1810-24Gs are $50 more. A PowerConnect 5324 and (replacement) quiet 40mm fans is less and more capable in every possible way.

So I wanna grab something like this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-POWERCONNECT-5324-24-PORT-GIGABIT-NETWORK-SWITCH-/151101407666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232e5881b2

?
edit: https://www.andovercg.com/store/Del...itch-p6638.html

better deal, so seems.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What are you going to use for the VM to present the storage? FreeNAS?

edit:

So you have the machine booting into ESXi (from a USB stick?) with the three vESXi vmdk's and the NAS vmdk located on the SSD, and any VMs running off of the vESXi hosts have their vmdk's located on the NAS datastore, right?

ESXi is installed to a USB drive in the motherboard's header. (SuperMicro has built in slots on most of their boards.)

Datastore01 is the SSD, which has a FreeNAS VM + the HBA passed through for Raid10 Storage out iSCSI/NFS back to the host as datastore03.

Datastore02 is the 5th 2TB drive for backups and ISOs.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Moey posted:

Due to some most likely price mistake yesterday, I ordered two more SSDs for my home esxi box. I'll now have 750gigs of non redundant fast storage to spin up labs with.

Do tell. I got my 840pro from my macbook now unused. I think I'm gonna throw in my ESXi box instead of selling it. Fast storage all day. :jiggled:

Only reason I went with a bigger SSD for my main computer is the fact I need to bootcamp into Windows. Trying to run the vsphere client in a VM inside Fusion is driving me nuts. VM inside VM to manage a host to manage x8 other VM's is just silly at this resolution.

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 1, 2013

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Gotta off-load most of my HOMELAB gear, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575546

Good stuff for your ESXi testing machines, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

I think if your board supports it, than yes. If not, I don't feel it breaks a good deal on something else. Either way, you have backups, and a more full-proof plan for stuff that is not replaceable data, media, anime.

That question is a worms nest for debate :eng101:

• Locked thread