Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I wrote a thing set between sessions 39 and 40 (after getting the soul-seeking artifact and before arriving in Forge). Please enjoy this shameful creation.

Fanfiction for a tabletop gaming podcast posted:

She had woken a few moments ago, staring up at the ceiling of the cavern miles above with not a hint of tiredness in her mind. With a short sigh of humid breath, Scarlett sat up, bringing her legs close to her body and wrapping her arms around them as she looked around at her companions. It still felt early in the night, though the ever-present red glow lighting the cavern from below made it difficult to tell day from night. But still, everyone was asleep.

Scarlett sighed again, her mind rushing through the day's events, replaying over and over what the strange item had revealed. Her soul was separate from her body? How could that be? Some magical accident? A curse? Was it related to her race? Dragonspawn hadn't been around for long, after all, and if this artifact had been buried away down here for this whole time, maybe it was just natural for them. Or maybe... Scarlett scratched at her arm, suddenly very conscious of the tattooed birthmark. It almost felt hot, as though it were reacting to her thoughts of this new revelation, though she dismissed this as being just in her head.

The Great Gold Wyrm. Dead. Present only as a decaying corpse, holding back demonic forces that would inevitably break through. But if it only existed in body...where was the Gold's soul? Could it be in her?

Scarlett gripped her arm tightly, painfully, as though she could simply will it away. She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping for sleep but knowing none would come, as her thoughts flashed back. Men in golden armour chasing her and her brothers, huddling in doorways and under trash, hiding from a destiny she never wanted.

The Gold had cost her childhood, relationships, freedom, and almost her life. And still it would take more? Her body? Her soul? A familiar sickening feeling rushed through her, the mix of loneliness and alienation, of fear and uncertainty. Why couldn't it be someone else? Why her? If only she could be normal, to have that same warm glow as the others sitting in her chest. Scarlett released her arm, pressing her fingers firmly against her sternum as though she might feel the comforting light inside, hidden.

Nothing. Nothing, where all the others had something. All apart from...

Where was Nav? Shaken from her reverie, Scarlett glanced around. He had been here a moment ago, hadn't he? Well, maybe. She had not looked too closely, maybe he had been absent this whole time.

Standing and stretching out, she scanned the makeshift camp again. Nav was definitely not here. Quickly dressing, she began striding to the highest point of the area, a ridge looking down into the camp. Maybe he had been taken? Margaret had warned that giving the enemy such a good angle to attack from could be tantamount to suicide, but confident no more Chuuls would be bothering them, her protests had gone ignored. But maybe Margaret was right, maybe another scouting party had come and taken him while they slept, maybe-

Oh. There he was. Just over the ridge was a small ledge, looking over into the abyss below. Nav was sitting, legs dangling into space, silent and motionless.

Suddenly unsure what to do having found him, Scarlett paused on the lip of the ridge, glancing between Nav, the camp, and the great drop below. As she opened her mouth to speak, he interrupted.

"Yeah? What?" His neck bent back at a somewhat unnerving angle, Nav looked up at Scarlett. He looked tired, the otherworldly light casting shadows under his narrowed eyes and accentuating the deep, scarlike grooves from which the other eye on his forehead had emerged.

"I...uh...I couldn't sleep and I noticed you were gone, so I was...uh...looking for you, I guess..." Scarlett trailed off, not really sure what she was doing here either. Nav stared at her for a moment, a bass murmur sounding in his throat.
"...Hm."

Scarlett fidgeted, and feeling awkward under his gaze, looked away. Her eyes uneasily scanned the cavern for a few long moments. A shuffling caused her to glance back, as Nav eased himself along the ledge a ways away from her. She stood, unsure whether to turn and leave or to step over the ridge and join him.

"Well? C'mon, sit down already, are you just gonna stand there all night? I'm not gonna push you off or anything." Taking this as her cue, Scarlett hurriedly (though still carefully) sat down, trying to ignore the lurching sensation in her stomach as she looked over into the abyss, and the mumbled "...Could've just slit your throat while you were asleep if I wanted you dead..." from beside her.

The two sat in silence for a few minutes, Scarlett unsure of what to say, and Nav with seemingly no interest in talking. Eventually, unable to stand the combined tension of the silence and the almost inviting drop, Scarlett spoke.

"So...Guess we killed some Angels, huh."
"Yep."
"...Do you think we get in trouble for that?" Scarlett squirmed anxiously. "Like, would the Gods be angry with us, or send us to some Hell or something when we die?"
"...Y'know, honestly I'm not too worried about that. But...They were pretty crazy, so I can't really see any Gods having a problem with it...Hopefully. I mean, I doubt we're in their good books, and the Priestess probably isn't gonna put in a good word for us considering we broke Cathedral..."

Scarlett shifted uncomfortably. The ominous crimson radiance from below seemed to pulsate more strongly at the mention of the holy place's defilement, and she thought for a moment that she saw that third eye flickering.
"...And anyway," he continued "to get sent to a Hell you probably need a soul. And from what we saw earlier..."
"How can you be so nonchalant about it?!" Scarlett burst out, her feelings reaching boiling point, "I just found out my soul might not be in my body, or that there might be a soul in my body that isn't mine, and I am freaking out!"

It was spilling out now, she couldn't stop, her ranting becoming more and more frustrated and frantic as she gave voice to her fears of what this could mean,
"Scarlett."
whether it was related to this "destiny" that she'd never asked for, never wanted,
"Scarlett."
how it was the same again, that she was different, separate from everyone else,
"Scarlett."
how it had always been like this and it always would be and-
"SCARLETT!"

Her head snapped up, and finding Nav staring at her, she held his gaze. He looked serious, and a little angry. Maybe even concerned.

Breaking eye contact, Nav craned his neck to look over the ridge, checking that the outburst had not woken the rest of their party. Scarlett did the same, and satisfied everyone was still asleep, looked back over the ledge, avoiding Nav's gaze.
He gave a short sigh of irritation, and Scarlett was about to apologise before he began, cutting her off.

"Look. You asked me why I don't seem all that bothered about it? Because it's not important. I'm already me without it, and I'm pretty happy with that. You didn't seem all that worried about who you were until you saw that, back in the Elven Court you told that guy to stick it when he started talking about the whole Gold Wyrm thing. That's the kind of attitude to have. It doesn't matter what someone else tells you your purpose is, or what they think your destiny is, or who they think you should be. You decide that. You decide what you do, you decide who you are, and you decide what your destiny is. Don't let anybody tell you. It's your choice to make. I mean, look at me, you think this is what people thought I was supposed to do, supposed to be? No, I chose this. And you should too. Do what you think you should do, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks."

Scarlett turned to look at him again. His expression was stern, but his anger was soft, not directed at her.

"...So what do you think I should do about it?" she asked, and getting an irritated grunt in response, corrected herself. "I mean, what are you planning on doing about yours? Do you want to know where it leads, or...?"

"I haven't decided yet. I think I'll probably check it out at some point, but I'm not sure. For now, at least, we've got more important things to be focusing on. If we end up over there, I might take a look. But until then..." He shrugged, and both were quiet again, thinking.

"...Thanks, Nav." Scarlett let out a deep breath, sounding relieved.
"Yeah." Nav rose to his feet surely, then paused, seeming unsure of his next move. After a lengthy few seconds, his hand reached out patting Scarlett reassuringly on the shoulder. Then he turned, gracefully stepping back over the ridge towards camp. "...And Scarlett. Don't go thinking we're best friends now, or whatever. This conversation didn't happen."

A small grin crossed Scarlett's features, accompanied by a laugh that was little more than a short breath.
"Yeah.", she agreed, sensing him leaving despite the absence of footsteps. Scarlett looked out into the abyss for a few moments longer, then turned. Nav was nowhere to be seen.

Carefully standing up from the ledge, Scarlett made her way back into the camp, stretching again as she approached her sleeping bag. She paused briefly, before walking past her own sleeping space to the centre of the camp, where the small satchel containing the artifact lay. Reaching inside, she withdrew the soul-dowsing rod, the glowing orbs and strings appearing to her as she did so. Her eyes followed the line from her own chest until it disappeared behind a rock column some way over the abyss. Scarlett nodded to herself, glancing at her marked shoulder before whispering to herself.

"I choose." She grinned, once again in control of her own destiny. But what about...

Sharp, cold steel pricked her lower back as she turned to face the other shimmering line, a cold hand covering her mouth.
"That's not any of your business, Scarlett.", a familiar voice rumbled in her ear. "If I want you looking into it, I'll ask you. But unless I do, you stay out of it. Understand?"

She nodded, and the hand slipped away from her mouth, before quickly snatching the artifact from her grasp. The lines vanished from sight as the spell was broken. Scarlett heard the rustling of satchel-cloth, and felt the knife's icy touch withdraw from her skin as Nav packed the soul-dowser away.
"Now go back to bed. It's been a long day, you should get some rest."

She nodded again, remaining as still as possible for a few tense seconds. When she finally turned, Nav was gone again, the artifact along with him.

Scarlett shakily returned to her sleeping bag, very much alert after the altercation a few moments ago. Not bothering to undress, she clambered inside, hands dancing in well-practiced movements. She laughed bitterly to herself.
"Could've just pushed you into the chasm if I wanted you dead..." she muttered, before her own spell took her, and she fell into slumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Striking Yak posted:

I wrote a thing set between sessions 39 and 40 (after getting the soul-seeking artifact and before arriving in Forge). Please enjoy this shameful creation.

Well, I, for one, thought that was wonderful.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon
It's a really well written dialogue, I would definitely read the book that came from. Nicely done.

reavor
Jul 24, 2013
Flying elephants in Disney's land... surprised they didn't hold feathers in their trunks.

Would've like to see the party banter:
I've seen a dragon fly
I've seen a boat fly
well I've seen a whale fly
I've seen all that too! but I done seen 'bout everything when i see an elephant fly!

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

PlasmaMan posted:

Session 44 part 2: The Happiest Hunt in the Empire

The team arrives in the magical, fantastical Dieseny's Land only to find themselves beset by an astonishing variety of curses, contraptions, and a band of furious pursuers who have prepared an ambush.

Did you contribute to the Might vs Magic contest? See if you can find your suggestion (or reversed suggestion) in Session 44~!

Music: Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
Forest
Forest at Night
Toy Land
Toy Land 2

Quote for page clip, and...

:siren:Session 44 part 3: Carousel Cavort:siren:

It's hard to keep track of who ambushed who, precisely, but the Elements face down their mysterious pursuers. Though revealed to be under the general Great Gold Wyrm corporate umbrella, their ultimate target may surprise you...

This episode is all combat, so buckle up, um, yo.

Music: Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Dark Forest

Deeper into Dark Forest

Library

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
We've recently been able to get the videos going again, and Wolfshirt has been working to make them special. Here's a sneak peek of 46-1:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

If only I, a mere listener, could some how also get a candy bar carried by Bella Canto. But that would be impossible.... :D

Nohbody13
Jun 17, 2014
Getting the videos working again will be awesome. I listen to the podcast on the drive to work, but really enjoy seeing the actual position and dicerolls from the game itself. Been missing that.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Position's great, but I still feel like a lot of the desire for videos stems from the thread's roots in DnD4e. In 13th Age it's pretty easy to figure out roughly where things are in your head, updating when you get a bit of contradictory info, and honestly when I'm playing with my DnD/13A buddies we've been skipping the board recently and just using some of my spare dice as tokens on a blank table. (I still need to get out the Araldite and make some nice wood 'n' metal pogs, though...)

I do look forward to figuring out what caused shock and horror anytime someone messes with the VDaivve map, though, or wonderful sequences of rolls. I'm not sure which is worse, Ambisagrus' terrible luck the previous combat, or last time in my own campaign, in which our fighter rolled a nat2 six times in the same battle. (Don't worry, we were fine, because sorcerors are as broken as the roller coaster with the hole in it. 'Three Breath of the White uses in one battle? You're too kind, Tetrises.')

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still I vastly prefer videos because I know they are using a board and I like to see what they are doing on it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still I vastly prefer videos because I know they are using a board and I like to see what they are doing on it.

Because I'm curious. I wanna know more about what you do here! Frankly, I've heard alot of wild stories in the media and we want to assess any possibility of dangerous and possibly hazardous waste chemicals in your basement.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

We've recently been able to get the videos going again, and Wolfshirt has been working to make them special. Here's a sneak peek of 46-1:

...If you're serious, this is awesome I assume their mouths will flop while they talk like in Starfox 64?.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

You have no idea how funny the Diseny's Land bit is to me. "Main Street, Dragon Empire" is a place I'd genuinely want to see.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

John Liver posted:

You have no idea how funny the Diseny's Land bit is to me. "Main Street, Dragon Empire" is a place I'd genuinely want to see.

I feel like our most honest, relatable, heartwarming, productive, or generally most emotionally resonant scenes are the ones built mostly on jokes.

and drat it that's just great.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

PlasmaMan posted:

emotionally resonant

I'm resonating with vindictive laughter.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:Session 44 finale: Curtains Close:siren:

Session 44 Complete

The Elements best their pursuers, despite Nav's internal battle and the omnipresent desire for back snack food while inside a theme park. The party prepares themselves for the true encounter with the Red Fang and his ilk.

If you are a Patreon backer and have not yet contacted us about your prize, please visit the activity page for info, and email us before the end of the month!

Music:

Clock Tower (Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse)

The Moon (Duck Tales)

Battle with Mizrabel (Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse)

Dark Castle (Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse)

Mizrabel Defeated (Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse)

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Are you guys going to run a "Make Your Own Luck" side session in the future?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fortunately I had a cinnamon pop tart to satiate my desire for a churro.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I have to say, props to the folks who got to submit ideas for this session, cause a lot of them wound up being really cool

The whale thing lead to an amazingly funny conversation, the whole theme park thing, etc. My favorite of course was the curse that made Scarlett and Bella magnetically stuck together, mostly because of the awesome team-up attacks we got to use. The best ones happen next session, so I hope you enjoy!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

MelvinBison posted:

Are you guys going to run a "Make Your Own Luck" side session in the future?

So far as I know, none of us have a copy of the adventure. If you want to see one way it could play out, I got to join as a player when the 13th Age organized play czar ran a session yesterday afternoon which was recorded as a google hangout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_myyAb6vM

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:Session 45 part 1 (of 2): Red Fang Revolver:siren:

The party emerges into an arena modeled after the surface of the moon, surrounded by a titanic crowd of those they have wronged, from Axis to Cathedral, from Drakkenhall to the Queen’s Court. The Red Fang’s employer has arranged a show of the Element’s death via monstrous fleas, gelatinous tetrahedrons, and bloodthirsty hags. Will the crowd go home sated?

Music:

Enchanted Forest Act 1 (Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (2013))

Red Fang’s Theme— Theme from El Mariachi

Enchanted Forest Act 2 (Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (2013))

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It makes me very happy that the forums came back up for my semi-weekly fix of LP 13th Age! I'm not sure what would have happened to me if it had still been down... Boredom, maybe?

Clearbrook
Sep 2, 2011

SWAG
Pretty hyped the videos are gonna make a comeback soon.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
You guys should be hyped by this session! Did you SEE those combos?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just when i was using the forums down-time to finally catch up on episodes, you put out another the moment it's back. :argh:

It's not exactly topical anymore, but i'm imagining that Metallic Orb's intro boot-up sequence sounds something like the 1 minute intro from Depeche Mode's In Chains. It's mostly amp distortion, but it's a similar electric principle to a synthesizer. :v:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Drakkel posted:

You guys should be hyped by this session! Did you SEE those combos?

While the fireball combo was particularly impressive, strictly speaking, no, we did not see those combos.

Whether we heard those combos, on the other hand...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
While we're on fireballs, how frigging long did you have to wait for a Disney-themed battle to drop that reference to Fireball Charming. God drat.

Thylacinus
Oct 22, 2012

I'm still a few sessions behind and just finished the battle of the bands. The battle is definitely up there in the list of my favorite moments this campaign. The thing that bothered me is that I have no idea what Grand Handsome feat. Metallic Orb sounds like. I had a bit of time, so this is the best I could come up with: Je Suis Metallic Orb. The Orb doesn't even really start until the second time the A section comes around. If nothing else, it was a fun way to spend an afternoon...

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon
A few of the members of 13th Age have gotten together to test out an "equally" "exciting" new "indie" "roleplaying game" called D&D Next as part of the 6 Feats Under initiative.

You can check it out here

We're going to be playing every tabletop RPG known to man, as you can see we're starting with the best.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

WolfShirt posted:

We're going to be playing every tabletop RPG known to man

I'll be eagerly awaiting your coverage of FATAL.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

It's a wonderful day, sports fans. Not only has Six Feats Under launched a second campaign (D&D Next, featuring Medibot, Wolfshirt, Ikks, Panzer Skank, and Gharbad) but the 13th Age expansion book, 13 True Ways is available for preorder. Kickstarter backers like myself are getting downloads of the pdf version as we speak. I've spent my morning skimming it and the art and layout are even better than the core book's. Also of note, the River Devil from the very beginning of the campaign is now a major enemy rivaling the Icons with four or five different monsters in its section of rules. There's also a fantastic dungeon made by a collaborative effort in SA's own Trad Games forum.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

General Ironicus posted:

Also of note, the River Devil from the very beginning of the campaign is now a major enemy rivaling the Icons with four or five different monsters in its section of rules.

It Was a pretty cool monster.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So you're getting rid of the party's grudge monster allotment in one go? Makes sense.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

WolfShirt posted:

A few of the members of 13th Age have gotten together to test out an "equally" "exciting" new "indie" "roleplaying game" called D&D Next as part of the 6 Feats Under initiative.

You can check it out here

We're going to be playing every tabletop RPG known to man, as you can see we're starting with the best.

How are you playing a Minotaur, a Golem, and a rabbit in D&D Next? Is there some kind of guide for monster characters, or are you using one of the other playable races template, or is there a conversion for 4e/3.X characters I'm unaware of.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Reflavoring, from the looks of it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Have absolutely loved the last few sessions, keep it up!

I realised I was looking through the credits for 13 true ways looking for your character names - was the river devil et al a monster you guys created, or just one you killed in the best way possible?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

lenoon posted:

Have absolutely loved the last few sessions, keep it up!

I realised I was looking through the credits for 13 true ways looking for your character names - was the river devil et al a monster you guys created, or just one you killed in the best way possible?

The River Devil started as a monster I thought up because I thought making tentacles out of mooks was a good idea and boat fights are fun. The one Rob designed for publication is very different, but also super awesome.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

TCat posted:

How are you playing a Minotaur, a Golem, and a rabbit in D&D Next? Is there some kind of guide for monster characters, or are you using one of the other playable races template, or is there a conversion for 4e/3.X characters I'm unaware of.

If you want more specifics on what exactly we did, come on over to the actual Next thread and ask there, but yeah, it's mostly reflavoring, and minor sensible changes. With a bit of imagination and some good sense, you can make practically anything a player race.

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

So now that 13 true ways is for-real out, will you guys be doing an advicecast kinda round-table discussion about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you want more specifics on what exactly we did, come on over to the actual Next thread and ask there, but yeah, it's mostly reflavoring, and minor sensible changes. With a bit of imagination and some good sense, you can make practically anything a player race.

I would but I was hoping based on answers I could turn it into "How is character thing?" in 13th age since there's kind of a habit of the group playing atypical characters.

• Locked thread