Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
First, I'd like to thank Fire Opal Media and Pelgrane Press for their support and for producing a game that, in turn, produced our story. But, now that the campaign is complete, let's talk about it as a whole.

There are, broadly speaking, two kinds of adventure stories. There are stories where something threatens the status quo, and the hero must set things right. The Riddler goes on a murder spree, and Batman puts him back in jail. There are also stories where the status quo is unjust, and the hero must change it. Luke Skywalker must fight against the Evil Empire. (These roughly map to two kinds of adventure heroes: the iconic and dynamic heroes. When things get tough, Batman only gets Batman-ier and forces the world around him in line. Meanwhile, Luke isn’t the same person in any of his four films)

I wanted to break away from that binary. I wanted the status quo off the table, completely unattainable. So, I made it so the apocalypse had already happened, folks just hadn’t noticed yet. I don’t know if it counts as an innovation in story shape, but it was my square one, and the central point I wanted things to grow from. No matter what happened, the world of level one would not be the world of level 10.

A classic MacGuffin hunt seemed like the way to go. It was easy on me, would make clear jumping-on points for new listeners, and offered a lot of flexibility in how to acquire things (heist, dungeon delve, bargaining, etc). So I made sure the nature of the Keys reinforced the central plan. About half of them had to be very important things that held the world as it is in place. The point was never to punish the party for trying to do good, but to make it clear there’s no going back. The only way to set things right is to push on ahead, and forge something better for tomorrow.

This ties in with Great Gold Grampy’s scenes in sessions 86 and 87. Listen to the words, he’s all about rolling back the clock. Then he gets blindsided by a brand new icon that’s never existed before. That was intentional. When he wakes again it’s clear the world has changed and he has no place as an Icon in it. His work is in the background, out of mind. His final scene was a bit rushed as it was late in the night, and sticks out as one of my regrets; sorry.

But let’s talk themes! First, is that power corrupts. But I got tired of that after a while. It’s too trite, it wasn’t enough to carry a story this big. So I tried to get into why power corrupts, and how. Very few of the Icons were “good people”, at least not the ones the party interacted with in any major capacity. I wouldn’t say they were bad people either. They were people with goals and the means to achieve them.

The problem is, they had big goals, worthy goals, goals that take a great investment to achieve. So to achieve them, resources must be acquired. Essentially, in order to use power, one must cultivate power. Look at the Dwarf King. He only devoted himself to the world-saving cause because he lost the ability to do much else. He could have used his abilities as the Soul of Stone to insulate his people against The Fourfold Apocalypse while everyone else died, and his sacrifice was choosing the other path. But now, his people are in a crisis; a lack of leadership and lack of direction.

The Elf Queen is probably the best expression of this idea. She was certainly unethical, and engineered the deaths of anyone getting too close to the truth. But the work she was defending was for the benefit of all. She did it for so long she couldn’t see outside the game she invented, but it worked for millennia. The Teen Emperor tried to play that game, but was garbage at it. When you delegate the cultivation and exercise of your power, sometimes you end up with a CREAM. The Priestess was a grade-AAA certified Good Person, though. Believe the hype. Y’all missed out.

That’s also why “capitalism as villain” popped up every once in a while. We already see people amassing power for other ends, which eventually feeds into a greater need for power until the original goal is only a vestigial justification.

Another theme I wanted to play with was about prophecy. Prophecies themselves are bunk, and the only ones that get fulfilled are the self-fulfilling. I think this one didn’t get enough play to land, but I like the few examples. Audrielle naming Margaret her new captain and refusing to take “no” for an answer is the big one. The village champion set to defeat Imugi the Three-headed is another. The ritual actually working, and the Gold Wyrm actually being helpful, were supposed to be a surprise; the lone exception. Again, I’m not sure that one shone through.

But, that’s just me. This was a team effort of a very large team. This game would not be nearly as queer, nearly as colorful, nearly as varied if I were left alone to hammer on my pet points. Ikks gave us a universe with pointless randomness and pointed ironies. Medibot made us grapple with the line between the rational and the irrational. Thanks to Eliza, it's all grounded by a love story. We have a world roughly sculpted, and you can see all of our fingerprints in the clay.

It’s been four years. We’ve all had major transitions in our lives since we killed Zvegdar and submitted our playtest feedback. And while the person I am today is not the person I was in the fall of 2012, Nothing I’ve worked on contains as much of the both of us as Let’s Play the 13th Age. Thank you for enjoying my work, and I can’t wait to see what you think of the things to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I posted this a few pages back, but starting to follow your cohort toward the tail end of LP DnD is what piqued my interest in RPGS, which evolved into an interest in the mechanics of storytelling in general.

I think a fair share of your retrospectives have delved into things you regret not doing better. I want to state that from a listener standpoint you have excelled in crafting a number of discrete, yet interlinked stories. My impression is that the things left unexplained are not things that need to be elaborated on, and that ambiguity is a perfectly appealing way to leave things.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
That's an excellent retrospective, Ironicus! I think my montage twist of "either the Diabolist or Crusader has died" and what you did with that from there will live in infamy. Thank you for describing it as queer, colorful, and varied, too... that's the good stuff.

I need to get on writing my own, uhm, eulogy here shortly, but meanwhile, your pal and mine Riley has finished polishing, trimming, scrutinizing, and buffing the third episode of :siren:Let's Play Dungeons & Dragons Encapsulated!:siren: In this exciting episode, that troublesome ol' tower! The first time! What?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
As a listener I can honestly say that at no point was I ever not entertained by the work you guys put out, I could always count on your updates being a good time overall. That being said, a few things did stick out, not all of them relevant.

At first I didn't really like Bella, dunno why, I guess she just came off as too arrogant to me, but at some point I started listening to the entire series again and for whatever reason she clicked with me right off the bat. Dunno what that really says about me or the character, maybe initially I started off with episode 20 or something and going back to the start gave me better insight into the character. Couldn't tell ya, but after my second listening she was one of my favorites.

Rip was always good for a laugh but for a while there he seemed to drift into more of a background character, I'm glad that he came back into relevance on the Moon and stayed that way until the end.

Drakkel seemed to be constantly struggling to get across some grander idea with his characters that often came across awkward,which I certainly can't fault him for, god knows I would be even worse. For the most part it actually worked really well with Scarlett, though it did stick out a few times, especially in the Wrestling and the Wild West games, but he was super on point and confident in the yeti hunter sessions, I hope he continues to improve as his characters are usually a blast.

Ultimately my only real disappointment with the series was that Scarlett taking a Lich King die never really seemed to have a payoff? It was a really cute moment but I guess Drakkel never got a 5 or 6 on it? Such is the nature of dice I guess.

My favorite episodes from the moment I listened to them to this very day are the Moon Watch arc, everyone was so on point, there was a constant, frantic energy, and it was almost entirely character interaction, its one I've listened to again and again, and I shared it with my DM as an example of both good role-playing and how the montage system could be used to build the world.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
:siren: Update! :siren:

Click here to get to the game.

Our preview adventure playthrough concludes, with Episode 3: Live and Burn. Our heroes have reached the final boss - a powerful pyrokinetic mafia don! Its time to take him down or burn to death trying in the dramatic conclusion to Karate Hotfoot.

Reminder: Panic at the Dojo is on kickstarter right now! We've fully funded, but there's still a couple days left to squeeze in before the campaign comes to a close.

This session is also available on youtube! Experience the game how it was meant to be - with a map to show you exactly where everyone was at the moment it all went wrong.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

gnome7 posted:

Our preview adventure playthrough concludes, with Episode 3: Live and Burn. Our heroes have reached the final boss - a powerful pyrokinetic mafia don! Its time to take him down or burn to death trying in the dramatic conclusion to Karate Hotfoot.

Reminder: Panic at the Dojo is on kickstarter right now! We've fully funded, but there's still a couple days left to squeeze in before the campaign comes to a close.

This session is also available on youtube! Experience the game how it was meant to be - with a map to show you exactly where everyone was at the moment it all went wrong.

I suppose this post marks the official end of sappy Thank Yous for LP13A 88, but having finally blocked out the time for it today I feel the need to say something. So, you know, thanks for it not being The End. Thanks for more stuff like this y'all.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gnome7 posted:

I just want to say that this game sounded like a ton of fun, even if I only listened to it instead of watching the recordings. You did a great job on making the combat system feel frantic and stay challenging as enemies (or heroes) got whittled down.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I do wanna drop in my own thanks for a great time, but at the same time, I'm really excited to know: What do you guys have planned next? Are you just going to stick with shorter games like have been your side campaigns so far, or does someone have another long-term "main campaign" in the works?

Also: See if you guys can get Nate & Medibot together in more of these. There wasn't a whole lot of focus on the relationship between Mint and Rip but I thought what did happen was a lot of fun and I kind of wish that had been explored a little more. You two got my kinda chemistry.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
The amount of work and care every single one of you put into your characters and your world inspired me to reflect on and improve my own roleplaying. I think that the characters I've made and the games I've run after I started listening to LPDnD and all of Six Feats Under improved considerably. I'd like to thank all of you for helping me tell better stories, making me laugh, and making me cry (seriously, I think I cried for the entirety of the last episode for one reason or another). Now I have to work on how to end my characters' stories so that they can match up to the work you've done!

TTornado
Feb 15, 2015

Piso mojado, dirtbag.
In the hypothetical scenario of Pompadour Rex becoming Don, I hope that means he inherits some of those fire powers and it manifests as flame breath from the mouth of his hair-dinosaur.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Got tipped off that this had come to a close, and thus had to drop by and see how it wrapped up. Didn't expect the breadth of surprises I got!

For what it's worth, Ironicus, you've surpassed any foundation I could ever lay as a GM, and I don't see any of myself in your style, which is the best compliment I've got for you, my man. Let's all just come clean and admit I was a lovely GM and a lovely alcoholic once and for all. I'm glad you never fell into my pitfalls, and, while I'm here: your podcast is pretty good, man.

To those of you I played with... actually most of you still talk to me, so I don't really have much to add here you haven't heard for years. Congrats, Plaz?

I don't know who the rest of you are. I only listened to one episode. Sorry I can't personalize this more.

And to those of you who listened, to this show, or its rotting skeleton of a prior campaign, the only thing I can add for you is you're all baffling to me on plenty of levels. Oh, to be you, to be youths, and to see what you see in this. For the love of christ don't derail the thread about this post because it's not like I'll see it, don't @ me, etc.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Sorry I'm late, sorry I'm late! But, well... this next Bonus Feat is technically five times as long as the entirety of 13th Age, so can you blame me?

:siren:Microscope: The Six Feats Underverse:siren:

Microscope is an excellent, unique game wherein players create a complete history in hardly any time at all. So, 'scopes in hand and fresh off the 13th Age finale, the team sets out to explain just how every character you've ever seen on Feats is indeed shippable, from Bronze Age primordia to a future among the stars!

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Nice, I'm sure it's more than worth the wait, first part was really fun.

Thylacinus
Oct 22, 2012

I'm holding off listening to Microscope as I'll need something to listen to while travelling this week, but looking at the linked google doc with no knowledge of what anything means, it looks like the synopsis for a really good prog rock concept album.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Six months ago, to the day, my wife and I launched a new podcast with support from the greater Feats Family. We have a new episode out today, so if you don't mind I'd like to post it in here as well. Microscope is already sort of a history, so it's perfect!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

Episode 15: The Sound of Music
It's the Holidays, and we'd like to share one of our traditions with you. Alaina tells us about the creation of a classic film, The Sound of Music. First, we delve into the creation of the fictional family Von Trapp, then look at their actual lives which inspired it. How much fidelity is owed to the truth in an adaptation? What lengths would you go to in resisting a fascist takeover? What unexpected benefits come with accepting refugees?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Just finished listening to The End, and that was an absolutely beautiful ending for a fantastic campaign. Can't wait to see what all of you do next!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

UPDATE TIME!

:drac: Monsterhearts, the complete first season :drac:

An inexplicable and wicked being from beyond has shattered our dimension's future and past into a nice snack, and I'm sorry to say that the hopes of the world rest upon teenagers. Ichabod (Ironicus) has learned the truth about Natalie (Ali). Adrian (D. Vac)and Jane (Violet) struggle with the consequences of Jane's murderous scheme. Lucretia (Ethel) and Crow (Arden) are caught up in the whims of their supernatural superiors. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty bad time

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

:siren: Epilogue Time! :siren:

The 14th Age
The 13th Age may be over, but the world thrives on. Plucky reporter Lyn gua Franka (Poorweather) finds surprising camaderie with a batch of all-but-randomly selected fellow sellswords Grub (Ikks), Explorer "Plora" Trib (Gnome), Guns of the Navarwndes (Nate), and Vardissa (Drakkel). Tasked by the surreal scientists Rituelle and Hollandaise to retrieve a cube of peculiar matter, the five are drawn into a bent dimension by unknowable minions of the Outsider. This is our final fond farewell to the Dragon Empire!

Don't forget to listen to the bonus where Gnome and I talk about the new Icons for the new Age, and read over the worldbuilding notes!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So I somehow missed the MonsterHearts finale and this is loving amazing. :allears:

Edit: This Duel, Holy poo poo.

Edit 2: So what was up with that sketchy Teacher Person who was in service of the Time Entity?

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 3, 2017

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So I somehow missed the MonsterHearts finale and this is loving amazing. :allears:

Edit: This Duel, Holy poo poo.

Edit 2: So what was up with that sketchy Teacher Person who was in service of the Time Entity?

time thing had taken the teacher's body, that student with the same last name was their time-ghost, same way Adrian was unknowingly in the process of having his body snatched in session 2. if things hadn't, um, accelerated as fast as they did at the end of session 2, adrian would have ended up outside his own body with his memories fading away! luckily, when the rules of time broke, he just kinda... swiped that body nobody else was using.

wow, I wrote a dr. who serial and didn't even know it!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ikks posted:

time thing had taken the teacher's body, that student with the same last name was their time-ghost, same way Adrian was unknowingly in the process of having his body snatched in session 2. if things hadn't, um, accelerated as fast as they did at the end of session 2, adrian would have ended up outside his own body with his memories fading away! luckily, when the rules of time broke, he just kinda... swiped that body nobody else was using.

wow, I wrote a dr. who serial and didn't even know it!

Ah, thanks.

Also, that 14th age one-shot was great. I wish the Imperial Exceptional the best of luck, it's got all the makings of a great new paper.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
I haven't finished listening to the epilogue yet, but when I got to the bit with the redcap-riding dire goats I just had to do something with that mental image.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like "we hate everybody more than we hate ourselves" describes most pnp parties. :v:

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like "we hate everybody more than we hate ourselves" describes most pnp parties. :v:

yeah! that's why I'm so glad 14a transcended that. with possible exception of grub. oops.

Dr. Demon posted:

I haven't finished listening to the epilogue yet, but when I got to the bit with the redcap-riding dire goats I just had to do something with that mental image.

gorgeous. beautiful. deadly.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I feel like the 14th Age is one The Invention of Trains away from being Eberron. Something for the Sea Princess and the Clockwork Plague to butt heads over, should they ever meet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
UPDATE!

:siren: Lasers & Feelings: The Next Generation
:siren:

We return to space for another round of Lasers and Feelings, this time joined by Patrick O!

In Episode 1: 45% Mercury, the scout ship Raptor C was on a standard diplomatic escort mission to a galactic peace summit, when suddenly the entire crew fell prey to a highly contagious space disease! With 99% of the crew's carbon-based population suddenly unconscious, the robots are suddenly in charge. Join Comrade Core (Gnome), Winter (Panzerskank), and SU-NIT (Poorweather) as they try to save the ship with the help of Benjamin Darkley (Patrick O), the only human who didn't get taken out by the disease.

In Episode 2: Do You Require A Sedative?, the Raptor C was nearly ambushed by a ship full of Tuvisian cyber zombies, but with quick thinking and a handy cloaking field, managed to turn the odds in their favor. With the ship's regular crew unconscious with disease, its up to Comrade Core (Gnome), Winter (Panzerskank), SU-NIT (Poorweather), and Benjamin Darkley (Patrick O) to stop the cyber zombies from attacking the peace summit!

Unfortunately for our meager crew, not everyone is after the same thing. Will this barely-formed crew save the day? Or will they tear themselves apart, chasing their own selfish agendas?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

don't sleep on these episodes, they're really dumb and good

lasers & feelings really facilitates just goofy roleplaying.

one thing i especially liked about the production: the robot voices were so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Still listening to the first bit of Laser and Feelings 2. You're all such wonderful terrible robits.

• Locked thread